• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    Hi:

I'm a 62 year old lady who totally believes in the right to bear arms. I also feel that since I am a home owner, I should probably keep a pistol handy for protection. It should be noted that I have little or no experience with handguns, but am blessed with a wonderful brother who is very experienced.

He has suggested that I look at .38 Smith and Wesson revolvers and that's pretty much where I'm starting. I have some issues with lower joints and can no longer run or even do deep knee bends. I'm pretty much in the position of having to stand my ground, for fleeing isn't an option.

I'm not at all interested in carrying a gun. It's merely for my own personal protection in my home. I have a shotgun. Still, I think a hand gun is probably something worth considering.

I have viewed the State Police video and taken the online gun course. Where should I start looking to purchase this gun? I live between Severna Park and Glen Burnie.

Thanks so much,

Cyberfrance

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Helpful Hints Video[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MDS Logo Gear[/FONT][/FONT]

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    Hello from the Eastern Shore!
    I'm not sure about shops in your area but I know some others on here might. A .38 is a very good place to start. I have been looking at the S&W model 36 and 37s. Good luck in finding your new pistol!

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I would suggest going west on 175 (off 3) to "ON Target", they sell firearms and also have
    a range where they give lessons to first time handgun owners. You can also go just a few miles further to 2A Sales in Jessup, He is a good man and can order you anything you decide on. Good Luck !

anthonyjhallen

May 16, 2011
    APG
    Whatever you decide to go with make sure you are comfortable and able to operate in a stressful situation. That means practice.

Good luck and welcome.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    welcome!

I would suggest you take one of the NRA Women On Target clinics that Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club offers. You can get a chance to shoot a variety of firearms, meet some great like minded women and have a lunch too! It is a great way to test out a lot of firearms before you buy.

You can contact Patty West (pskryja here on MDS or pskryja@gmail.com) for more information.

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I will investigate all of your suggestions. I am very interested in taking classes. My brother belongs to a gun club and will let me try a few of his guns and we'll go from there.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Welcome to the board.

I'm in the Millersville/Odenton area. I have a small Smith and Wesson 38 special that I'd be willing to let you try some time as well as a small 9mm. PM me (Click on my name in the left margin and send a Private Message) if you are interested.

Folks here (Admins) can vouch for me if you are concerned about anonymous internet invites.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Hello and welcome to MDS.

Please consider joining Maryland Shall Issue, the only grassroots organization fighting for your 2A rights in MD.

www.marylandshallissue.org

Attachments

• maryland-shall-issue.jpg
      maryland-shall-issue.jpg
      34.4 KB · Views: 174

Xfade

Dec 26, 2011
    Anne Arundel Co.
    Welcome from Glen Burnie. I grew up off of Obrecht Rd and am originally from Millersville.

There are lots of places nearby to shop at. A&D Pawn on Crain Highway, Barts right up the road from them on Crain Highway, Arundel Firearms on B&A Blvd.

However, I would recommend taking the time and going to 2Asales. Mark is very patient with first time gun purchasers and wont treat you like an idiot if you don't know everything there is to know about guns.

Also, Ontarget has a pretty good selection of rental guns if you want to try a few out.

I would also recommend checking out some semi-autos as well as the revolvers. In a home defense scenario having some extra pre-loaded magazines may come in handy. Just my 2 cents.

Oh and I almost forgot Scotts Gunsmithing on Thelma Ave. Right by the intersection of Aquahart and Crain Highway. Although, I cannot vouch for them personally as I have not purchased anything there yet. They seem to be a highly regarded vendor here on mdshooters.

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    Xfade:

You grew up very close to me! Thanks for the tips. I had no idea you could rent guns. Who knew?;)

Xfade

Dec 26, 2011
    Anne Arundel Co.
    Xfade:

You grew up very close to me! Thanks for the tips. I had no idea you could rent guns. Who knew?;)

If you've been around here a while, I am from the Zeman family.

Most gun ranges have some handguns for rent, to use at their facility. It's a good way to test some out before you buy.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Welcome.

I also grew up off of Obercht road.....back when most of the road was tobacco fields......and no one needed to lock their houses or cars and when we wanted to shoot we just walked out the back door

Amazing how much can change in 50 years..................

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom