• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ouyin2000

Dec 3, 2014
    Arlington, Virginia
    Hello to everyone! I recently moved to Arlington from Canada, eh. I just recently got into the shooting sports, but have been interested for a very long time. I own a Remmington 597 but unfortunately to avoid importation papwerwork, etc, I decided to leave her behind.

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    welcome, being a VA resident you can legally buy a lot more guns then us on the other side of the" iron curtain" (Potomac)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 142

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    We're all aboot guns here, eh?

Seriously, welcome. Another expat here. Always happy to meet new shooters in Northern VA for a day at the range. The NRA range is the best indoor range on the East Coast, Blue Ridge up in Chantilly is convenient.

If you're a permanent resident, why wait? Go get yourself another 597, a 10/22 or whatever suits your fancy. If you're not, there are still ways for you own firearms as a non-citizen.

Matt

ouyin2000

Dec 3, 2014
    Arlington, Virginia
    I am just about as far from Quebekistan as I can get! I grew up in British Columbia. As for owning here. I'm working for the Canadian gov't and therefor am not entitled to citizenship status. From what I have been able to research, all I need to do to start my own arsenal is to complete a hunter's safety course then apply for a non-resident license. Is that correct?

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Please consider donating to the legal defense fund to support the UNITED CHALLENGE OF THE MARYLAND FIREARMS BAN[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT]

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I am just about as far from Quebekistan as I can get! I grew up in British Columbia. As for owning here. I'm working for the Canadian gov't and therefor am not entitled to citizenship status. From what I have been able to research, all I need to do to start my own arsenal is to complete a hunter's safety course then apply for a non-resident license. Is that correct?

If you are a legal resident alien you should be fine. I don't think you need to take a course but I don't know VA law. My dad is still a Canadian citizen, even though he's lived here in MD for about 30 years, and he doesn't have any trouble buying guns. The only thing we've noticed is he sometimes has to wait longer for the NICS check on unregulated guns.

ouyin2000

Dec 3, 2014
    Arlington, Virginia
    Thanks Budman, I did the Hunter's Ed course anyways. It was $25 for the course and $25 for the hunting license. No harm done and MUCH cheaper than trying to get a PAL (Possession Acquisition License) back in Canada.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Ah... Fellow countrymen. My grandparents were Canadian, emigrated to the US. They lived in Manitoba, in mud huts. Both were of Ukrainian descent, and was their primary language. Had to learn english to come across.

Anyhoo, welcome from the Manitoba (Carroll County) of Maryland. Actually if you broke up Maryland the same was as Canada, it would be accurate.

And sorry about the RCMP, and their evil ways. Reversing their decision on the VZ58 was just sh1tty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom