• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    clean record... wouldnt that make it clear fast? what all exactly do THEY Check?
    What part of Record Gun sales don't you get?
    This thing ebbs and flows and just because
    YOU didn't buy earlier doesn't mean your Government
    cares about you today more than yesterday.
    THEY are in NO RUSH to help you out.
    Seriously. THEY HAVE ALL DAY.
    Mark

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    My FFL told me on some MSP paperwork over 28 days, MSP claimed to have "lost" the paperwork ... if he faxed it, he then provided them with the fax confirmation that they received it and it was approved within the next 2 days.

I feel like he's going the extra mile for his customers and we are getting our money's worth :)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Which brings up this Question:
    I Purchased on the 2nd of the month, recieved
    on the 22, when does that 30 day clock (to purchase again) start ticking?
    I say the 2nd or 30 days after initial signing, because MSP could arbitrarily delay delay delay.

The one gun a month applies once you pick up the gun not when you fill out the application. For instance you have a handgun cleared for pickup on March 1, you can fill out paperwork 23 days from there because the 7 day wait +23days =30 days in between taking posession.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    From my understanding a MDSP Examiner completes about 20-30 applications a day, so in an 8 hour day thats about one background cheak every 12-15 mins.

And seriously, is that enough time? Probably not.

Chad -just between you and me cheak is spelled "cheek."

I just had to....

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    MDSP Check is much more thorough than a NICS Instant Check. The MSP does an Instant Check with NICS and then checks other State Criminal and Mental Health Resources. From my understanding a MDSP Examiner completes about 20-30 applications a day, so in an 8 hour day thats about one background cheak every 12-15 mins.

As I understand it, MD is something like 4th from the bottom on getting this "other info" to the FBI for the NICS

If Annapolis wants to "do something" ... here's something they could do that would not infringe on the rights of or inconvenience the law abiding average citizen

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    The one gun a month applies once you pick up the gun not when you fill out the application. For instance you have a handgun cleared for pickup on March 1, you can fill out paperwork 23 days from there because the 7 day wait +23days =30 days in between taking posession.

Thank You I forgot...

moveweight

Feb 12, 2013
    is this called a lie or is it ok because hes the big guy

:bowdown::nono::evilwhip::whack::facepalm:

Attachments

• nra_obama_mail.jpg
      nra_obama_mail.jpg
      37.8 KB · Views: 323

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    My FFL told me on some MSP paperwork over 28 days, MSP claimed to have "lost" the paperwork ... if he faxed it, he then provided them with the fax confirmation that they received it and it was approved within the next 2 days.

I feel like he's going the extra mile for his customers and we are getting our money's worth :)

I had the exact same thing happen. Except I haven't received clearance to get my lower yet....

radial

Nov 23, 2011
    Boyds
    Search for older threads exactly like this one. Some shops make a bad habit out of having it take two to four times as long as it should, since well before mid-December. Hopefully that's not the case here.

You could be right that slacker FFLs are a significant factor, but it seems like a stretch to me. The FFL I use is generally regarded as one of the better ones. I'm pretty sure they haven't suddenly started neglecting their customer's interests by dragging their feet on submitting paperwork. It seems much more likely to me that MSP is slammed with applications by the recent surge in sales and hasn't done anything very effective to resolve the situation. I'm not really surprised by that. When you ask a LE organization to perform a licensing function, it's like asking the plumber to fix your cable. I would like to see the function extracted from MSP and run by some other arm of government that has a clue about customer service.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I believe you. I'm becoming suspicious that MSP might be processing applications from some FFLs before others. As to why, I have no idea. On the other hand, are you guys putting your SSN on the paperwork? If not, expect long delays.

Loader

Jan 5, 2013
    Yep, waiting times were about three weeks when I bought my M&P on Jan 16 for sales before that, but now wait times seem to be coming in at around four weeks (my Jan 16 paperwork hit 4 weeks today). I just bought last week and was told to expect to wait for five weeks!

Maryland DSP did bring on additional staff, and are paying about $10,000 per week in overtime.

Last edited:

Loader

Jan 5, 2013
    Which brings up this Question:
    I Purchased on the 2nd of the month, recieved
    on the 22, when does that 30 day clock (to purchase again) start ticking?
    I say the 2nd or 30 days after initial signing, because MSP could arbitrarily delay delay delay.

30 days from pickup, not from day of deposit/purchase.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    You know, I was just thinking... if I were a stalking victim or someone who had death threats made on them or something like that, and I was trying to buy a pistol because I genuinely feared for my safety and that of my family, 30+ days to get a background check that should take technically less than 7 would be totally unacceptable regardless of the volume of apllications .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom