• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moveweight

Feb 12, 2013
    i paid for my handgun that was in stock and they said 3 weeks.. then they took my money now they are saying 40-50 days... umm wtf. im a NRA member and clean record.. :envy: Whoever is running these checks needs to speed up or hire more people they make like 10-12$ per application i mean thats obvisouly enough to hire 5+ more people for the amount of people in frederick area to process these applications.. i bet they didnt hire anyone.. just taking good ol time.. :innocent0

update may 7 still waiting ... frederick resident.. for handgun..

Last edited:

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    The state police run the checks and they have brought in more people. You have to remember they have gotten close to 30,000 applications since the panic started in December. Please be patient; you're not alone. Checks are running about 25-30 days right now.

moveweight

Feb 12, 2013
    o ive been patient... told 3 weeks and turns into possibly double... hire more people!!! and more!!! supply and demand!!! 30,000 x $10+ per check.. how long does it take them to run a single check on a handgun purchase ? you can go buy a 12 gauge shotgun have wal mart call right to fbi and be approved in 10 minutes.... a shotgun does way more damage then a handgun?

moveweight

Feb 12, 2013
    this whole ban thing did the opposite of what they planned.. id like to know the % of homes with guns and how many and what types before this wind of the BAN as opposed to NOW how many % of homes have guns... i think they created a RUN out and buy a GUN Black Friday Frenzy for everyone. now so many more guns are on the streets then before... dumb dumb idea on their part..

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    MSP is running at 26 days. Your FFL is BS'ing you. They either forgot to send the paperwork in and suddenly "remembered", or else they are sitting on applications to send a bunch in to MSP at once. Either way, you need a different FFL ASAP.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Where the heck are you guys buying guns? Your FFLs are srcewing you royally.

Scotts faxes in applications imediately after completion. Some are approved in 3-4 weeks, some are still on week 6. The wait is hovering at about 6 weeks now from what I see at the shop.

moveweight

Feb 12, 2013
    Where the heck are you guys buying guns? Your FFLs are srcewing you royally.

A Store in MD i think they just got lazy with sending paperwork in, and let it pile up. not sure why.. ok ya ive prolly got 1-3 weeks then.. ugh already paid for it just want it!!

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Scotts faxes in applications imediately after completion. Some are approved in 3-4 weeks, some are still on week 6. The wait is hovering at about 6 weeks now from what I see at the shop.

This is probably your best advice here. With the state bureaucracy and civilian clerks you may have some considerable variance in wait times. I've seen packages of not-disapproveds come back to FFL's that were completed a full week or more before being postmarked. We're talking state government here. If the stamp-licker is off for a week on sick leave nobody will think to have the paper-folder step in and lick the stamps also. It will just have to wait.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

That's bizarre. My LGS does the same thing and is routinely getting them back in the 26-day time frame. I ask every time I'm in there, which is often. Are some shops getting priority over others? Sure seems like it.

radial

Nov 23, 2011
    Boyds
    So, we are blaming FFLs? Come on. MD is clearly taking longer to process the paperwork, and whatever they have done in the way of hiring more people or otherwise improving the process clearly hasn't been effective. No need to throw anyone else under the bus.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Which brings up this Question:
    I Purchased on the 2nd of the month, recieved
    on the 22, when does that 30 day clock (to purchase again) start ticking?
    I say the 2nd or 30 days after initial signing, because MSP could arbitrarily delay delay delay.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    So, we are blaming FFLs? Come on. MD is clearly taking longer to process the paperwork, and whatever they have done in the way of hiring more people or otherwise improving the process clearly hasn't been effective. No need to throw anyone else under the bus.

Search for older threads exactly like this one. Some shops make a bad habit out of having it take two to four times as long as it should, since well before mid-December. Hopefully that's not the case here.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    clean record... wouldnt that make it clear fast? what all exactly do THEY Check?

MDSP Check is much more thorough than a NICS Instant Check. The MSP does an Instant Check with NICS and then checks other State Criminal and Mental Health Resources. From my understanding a MDSP Examiner completes about 20-30 applications a day, so in an 8 hour day thats about one background cheak every 12-15 mins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom