• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • portrhombus

Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia
    Hi All,

Brief summary of how I got here:

* Never owned a gun, but never objected to them either
    * House broken into this summer (while the wife & I were home)
    * Got some pistols, one with a 19rd magazine (wife and I feel a lot better)
    * Would like to get a nice semi-automatic rifle, before they're unattainable legally

Other than introductions, the point of this post was that I was hoping to get some insight and advice about semi-auto 5.56mm rifles ...

I really like the short reset trigger on my P220, and both it and the XDM 9 have really grippy slides and handles, which was great inside a warm range when our hands started to sweat a bit. The fiber-optic/iron sight on the XDM is good when it's bright, but I like the 3-dot white outline tritium sights on the SIG better. Love the 19rd capacity on the XDM. <--- maybe these points can help narrow the field since there are more than a few 5.56mm semi-auto rifles out there.

Thanks in advance!

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Welcome aboard!

The best advice I can offer is to relax and keep your wallet put away until summer time, perhaps early fall. The ongoing AR-15 craze is likely to be behind us by then, with no AWB and returned-to-normal prices.

In the mean time, short-barreled 12ga pump shotguns are relatively inexpensive and more than good enough for home defense.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    Welcome Aboard,there is a lot of Good People here who have a lot of knowledge.That said the timing for a semi auto purchase is bad! If the Gov gets what they want it may put a crimp on those products even though in my opinion will do nothing as the last one did.I refuse to use the AW description of the modern Handy Rifle.Good luck on Your Shooting adventure and Stay Safe!

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]HOW to APPLY for a MARYLAND Carry Permit[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MDS Logo Gear[/FONT][/FONT]

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    welcome!

I like Ar15's. Others like their own brands/models. I think you better move fast; MD will probably have a ban, but hopefully we will beat it back like we have been doing for every one of the past 10 years.

For ar15 research, look around the MDS forum as well as M4Carbine.net. AR15.com is OK but full of mall ninjas; M4C has more industry professional types (Law enforcement, military, etc.)

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    I was in my local gun shop monday afternoon and asked if they had any interesting pump action shotguns. The UPS guy came with his deliveries and in one of the boxes was a new Mossberg 500 18" persuader pistol grip 12ga. $389.00 It felt great in my hands.. Sold. Merry Christmas to me.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Skip the pistol grip. It's a crappy design for HD. Get a Hogue short LOP 12" stock. Unless you're breaching doors or firing out of a moving vehicle skip the pistol grip. Get some buckshot. Not Flite control or high accuracy buckshot or slugs, just straight 2 3/4" 00 buck.
    And learn your firearm. Look up Clint Smith, Magpul art of the tactical shotgun, Panteo productions DVDs to learn how to use it effectively. And if you shoot from the hip or plan to in an HD situation then you're flat out stupid.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Oh and to you OP same advice. Skip the AR for now because they're horrifically expensive and all the stuff for them mags, ammo, accessories is tied up in back order. Get a pump action shotgun Mossberg is the way to go. Or get a semi auto depending on preferences and research.

Pay2Play

Jul 3, 2008
    Gambrills
    Welcome aboard!

The best advice I can offer is to relax and keep your wallet put away until summer time, perhaps early fall. The ongoing AR-15 craze is likely to be behind us by then, with no AWB and returned-to-normal prices.

In the mean time, short-barreled 12ga pump shotguns are relatively inexpensive and more than good enough for home defense.

Took the words right out my mouth.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Welcome! We've been expecting you for a long time now.

I too would recommend waiting on an AR. I too would recommend your next purchase be a home defense style shotgun. It can be loaded with many different types of ammo which can then be customzied to your house and situation. Load it with birdshot and just pull the trigger in the general dircetion of the perp, buckshot for a little more directed shot on the bad guy, or go with a slug and then you're basically aiming like you were shooting a rifle.

Good luck on your search and welcome.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Welcome aboard!

Ditto and Hey.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Welcome! We've been expecting you for a long time now.

I too would recommend waiting on an AR. I too would recommend your next purchase be a home defense style shotgun. It can be loaded with many different types of ammo which can then be customzied to your house and situation. Load it with birdshot and just pull the trigger in the general dircetion of the perp, buckshot for a little more directed shot on the bad guy, or go with a slug and then you're basically aiming like you were shooting a rifle.

Good luck on your search and welcome.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Birdshot is for birds. Buck shot is for 2 legged varmints.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 114

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics