• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    for a carry or hd handgun aftermarket doesn’t matter for me. I leave them oem. Range toy or competition pistol, as much aftermarket as I need/want. Hard to beat a Glock for a first pistol. You will end up with one at some point.
    not necessarily. When I bought my P320 I was hoping to find something to move me away from a glock purchase. Dont get me wrong if I buy a glock I have idea of the one I want, but I always find a reason not to buy one.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    My comment on H&K their full name sounds like something you would do to Caitlin Jenner....

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Glock is the way.

But I am what you call a fanboy

I'm not a fanboy per se, but :

They're objectively good pistols on their merits

Glock is on the short list of guns that were truely innovative , and a game changer for their catagory .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    for a carry or hd handgun aftermarket doesn’t matter for me. I leave them oem. Range toy or competition pistol, as much aftermarket as I need/want. Hard to beat a Glock for a first pistol. You will end up with one at some point.

Ironically , despite having more aftermarket parts and accessories availability than Small Block Chevys , a stock Glock doesn't * need * anything changed for any vaguely practical purpose .

( Yeah , yeah . Enough 10's of thousands of holster draws , the friction will round off the sharp corners of the plastic ( non night) sights . But you don't need to deal with that . until they've gotten unacceptably worn down .)

rickey623

Jul 23, 2022
    Frederick
    so many pistols and there really is little that separates them anymore. They all have their areas they shine and warts that are all known. Its your money your pistol get what works for you.

Yea I know that. I was just hoping to get an idea of which way to go and I’m pretty sure I got it. Also got a little more confused because now I’m looking at h&k, iwi, and sigs lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Is this going to be a carry gun, home defense, or range toy?
    My first Gun was a Glock. I like them a lot. I take them to range to practice and have fun.
    I carry Sigs because I shoot them better and the p365 platform works well for me.
    Love HKs but can’t justify the price.

rickey623

Jul 23, 2022
    Frederick
    Is this going to be a carry gun, home defense, or range toy?
    My first Gun was a Glock. I like them a lot. I take them to range to practice and have fun.
    I carry Sigs because I shoot them better and the p365 platform works well for me.
    Love HKs but can’t justify the price.

My wallet weeps at the price of hks…this would be mainly range/home defense maybe sometime future carry.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Keep an eye out for used guns at shops they can save you a little bit if you are wanting a higher end gun at more reasonable price. But if price is a major sticking point there are some quality pistols around the $500 range.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Ironically , despite having more aftermarket parts and accessories availability than Small Block Chevys , a stock Glock doesn't * need * anything changed for any vaguely practical purpose .

( Yeah , yeah . Enough 10's of thousands of holster draws , the friction will round off the sharp corners of the plastic ( non night) sights . But you don't need to deal with that . until they've gotten unacceptably worn down .)
    I agree with this. I'd also add that as someone who hates cleaning guns, Glocks are about as low maintenance as it gets for a quality design.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I can't believe the thought process and contributing factors some of y'all use to buy guns.

I don't care what it looks like. I didn't buy it to look at it, bought it to protect my life. I want a gun that will go bang every time I pull the trigger. I don't want to worry that it has enough oil, or worry that it has too much oil, or that its too hot or too cold for it to work. If the time comes to use deadly force to protect life, I want a reliable gun. Especially if its a first gun, that means that the OP doesn't have any other weapons.

I would get the gun that inspires the most confidence in me to work, to function correctly and to shoot straight.

After you have that gun, then is when I might (but I won't) worry about pretty things that I can hang from my next gun.

Gabagool

Jul 11, 2013
    Harford County
    I was on a compressed timeline to buy my first handgun (2013) and ended up getting a Sig SP2022. I thought it had all of the features I wanted and better ergonomics than a Glock.

There's nothing wrong with it and I will never sell it, but I definitely over-analyzed the purchase. Over the years, things like mag availability, mag compatibility, holsters, etc. have been just slightly annoying with the Sig. And, as is the case for my Sig P227, there's always the threat of discontinuation of the model making parts harder to come by. I still wish I'd just purchased a Glock 17 and called it a day.

In my opinion, a G17 or G19 is almost a no-brainer as a first handgun.

rickey623

Jul 23, 2022
    Frederick
    I can't believe the thought process and contributing factors some of y'all use to buy guns.

I don't care what it looks like. I didn't buy it to look at it, bought it to protect my life. I want a gun that will go bang every time I pull the trigger. I don't want to worry that it has enough oil, or worry that it has too much oil, or that its too hot or too cold for it to work. If the time comes to use deadly force to protect life, I want a reliable gun. Especially if its a first gun, that means that the OP doesn't have any other weapons.

I would get the gun that inspires the most confidence in me to work, to function correctly and to shoot straight.

After you have that gun, then is when I might (but I won't) worry about pretty things that I can hang from my next gun.

I have a few shotguns and carbines now. I want to reliable handgun, but also one that I can customize later on down the road.

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    My first handgun, I’ve shot both I like both. Unfortunately can only afford one. Any help?
    [Bolds mine]

I recommend the Glock. When you can afford a second, look at the Canik again, or something else that you fancy. If you want to sell the Glock later. it will hold value well. The price difference, Canik vs Glock, isn't all that much.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I have a G17 and love it. I fits me and I'm pretty accurate with it. It was just over $500, then I put TruGlo fiber sights on it and a trigger replacement.

Works good, lasts long time. Aside from the slide being rather boxlike and ugly (not that I care), there's nothing not to like about this firearm. I own a lot of other handguns and each has its pros and cons but the Glock simply works ALL the time and shoots very well.

Get the Glock and then start building your collection, my 2 cents...

rickey623

Jul 23, 2022
    Frederick
    I have a G17 and love it. I fits me and I'm pretty accurate with it. It was just over $500, then I put TruGlo fiber sights on it and a trigger replacement.

Works good, lasts long time. Aside from the slide being rather boxlike and ugly (not that I care), there's nothing not to like about this firearm. I own a lot of other handguns and each has its pros and cons but the Glock simply works ALL the time and shoots very well.

Get the Glock and then start building your collection, my 2 cents...

I’ve been tossing the idea of getting a Glock in general just because of there background and reliability. That being said aesthetically I think its atrocious being so boxy but Im not buying it off looks.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I’ve been tossing the idea of getting a Glock in general just because of there background and reliability. That being said aesthetically I think its atrocious being so boxy but Im not buying it off looks.

Gen 5 is quite sleek...for a Glock

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Glocks are an excellent tool…reliable…accurate…not break the bank expensive…and there is beauty in performance if not aesthetically. My only real gripe with the Glock is the grip angle…just not natural to me. My test is to close my eyes with any pistol and raise it up to shooting position. If the ergonomics are right the sights line up naturally. Full-size Glocks consistently fail that with me…the muzzle is always pointed too far down. I know with training and practice that can be overcome…I’m so used to the 1911 ergonomics it’s second nature…a Glock would take time to compensate for.

I do have both a Glock 29 and 30 and the shorter grip frames don’t seem to give me that problem.

EXIT WOUND

Sep 22, 2011
    I really like the Sig p320xc. $699.99 at Freestate

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpg
      thumbnail (1).jpg
      79.4 KB · Views: 56

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member