• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I wanted to try a Glock in my inventory...and since the 4th Gen has reversible magazine catch and back straps I figured what better time then now.

Got out today and fired a little under 200 rounds. PMC Bronze and WWB wal mart special ammo.

The rear sight needs to be drifted left a bit. I was getting okay groupings but all to the right. When looking at it the rear sight does not appear to be centered. It's to the right a bit.

My MAJOR concern was extraction issues. In all 3 15 round magazines I'd get 1-2 rounds straight back to the face. I found it more annoying then anything else but I WOULD NOT let a new shooter fire this handgun. It's likely to put them off from shooting catching brass in the face.

The spring is 034 I believe according to the numbers on the end plate.

Has anyone had any luck with replacing the extractor on these to solve this issue?

What say you Chad?

It cycled the cheap ammo fine other then extraction.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I shot my wife's Glock 19, it sends brass straight back and it bounces off the top of my head. Very annoying. And I take it you're a lefty, so with the pattern you're getting, it appears you don't have enough finger on the trigger according to the chart.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    My HK USP does the same thing with factory ammo, every now and then you get one that comes right back at your face, not consistently, but every once in a while.

What fixed it for me, running my reloads thru it instead of factory ammo - with reloads, ejects in a very consistent pattern, factory ammo, not so much.

damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    My 19 will do that occasionally when my wife shoots it. When I fire off a magazine I don't have any issues. In her case I think it's her grip that's the issue.

Having said that have you called Glock about this?

D.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Tuning the Extractor will often change Ejection Path, also reprofiling the Ejector and adjusting where it hits the case can fix these issues.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So you just need to dremel off a little bit of it? :D

ZZHkt.gif

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=76259

Been discussed. You are not alone.

My suggestion is replace the extractor with a lone wolf one, it seems to have solved the problem for me. The new Glock extractors are complete JUNK. Bad design, and poor manufacturing quality.

I have a few posts in the above thread detailing what I did and went through, but go order the LW extractor tonight and get a head start.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Tuning the Extractor will often change Ejection Path, also reprofiling the Ejector and adjusting where it hits the case can fix these issues.

Do you happen to do this work? I haven't messed with the ejector because I'm afraid I'd make it worse.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Do you happen to do this work? I haven't messed with the ejector because I'm afraid I'd make it worse.

Yes. I have done this work for M&P, Glock, HK USP and some othe Polymer framed pistols. Its not always a fix. If I had to throw out #'s I would say 50% are significantly improved. Sometimes increasing extractor tension will improve ejection consistency.

MPDickerson101

MPDickerson101
    Jan 30, 2012
    Gotham City (Baltimore)
    I have a 1st Gen G23....my first firearm purchased back in 1991. Never had any issues until Easter weekend 2 yrs ago. I noticed that the spent shells were ejecting low. I found myself ducking after every shot. Next thing I know, a spent shell lodge between my safety glasses and my temple. I got a nice crispy burn right there.
    The short of it is I got a box of bad ammo. Trashed the ammo and it never happened again.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    It's ashame I really enjoyed the pistol or I'd put it on the back shelf and not think about it.

I'd like to get it running right. I really think the sights are off center just by looking at the slide. I plan on getting night sights soon so that would fix that.

LW extractor might be tried but I have my doubts. Probably easier to toss in a LW extractor as opposed to having a smith touch it up with a 50/50 chance of fixing it.

It's annoying that it's not all the time. It really appears to be random. I was only getting one or two rounds a magazine but it was each and every magazine.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It's ashame I really enjoyed the pistol or I'd put it on the back shelf and not think about it.

I'd like to get it running right. I really think the sights are off center just by looking at the slide. I plan on getting night sights soon so that would fix that.

LW extractor might be tried but I have my doubts. Probably easier to toss in a LW extractor as opposed to having a smith touch it up with a 50/50 chance of fixing it.

It's annoying that it's not all the time. It really appears to be random. I was only getting one or two rounds a magazine but it was each and every magazine.

If it were me and I was going to keep it, I would double up and get the L.W. Extractor and have a SMith do the install. WHile he is in there he can profile and polish the L.W. Extractor, Polish the Feedramp, Dehorn the Breach Face and Readjust the Ejector. Its not serious work. If the SMith knows what they are doing and you bring the part and test ammo, you should be able to get away at $75.00-$95.00

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    If it were me and I was going to keep it, I would double up and get the L.W. Extractor and have a SMith do the install. WHile he is in there he can profile and polish the L.W. Extractor, Polish the Feedramp, Dehorn the Breach Face and Readjust the Ejector. Its not serious work. If the SMith knows what they are doing and you bring the part and test ammo, you should be able to get away at $75.00-$95.00

That's an option for sure.

Kind of sours me for my first Glock....brand new in box and while it's not running horrid it's not running right.

Havent had these issues with any of my 3 MP's.

I'm going to call Glock tomorrow and see if I have the "upgraded" parts in mine already. If not I'll send it back for them to "fix" their brand new gun. If I have the upgraded parts I'll consider the LW and some fine tuning.

Maybe Glock will be kind and send me 20 bucks worth of goodies for my drive down to Scotts...what do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom