• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    I hate these mother effers. I watered my plants around 11:00 and all was well. Checked on them 16:00 and one of my cayenne pepper plants was gnawed up. Found a big fat juicy one which is now very squished. They sure are quick. First time one of my peppers was effed up. Tomatoes pretty much every year.

Other than vigilance, what to do?
    Tobacco_Hornworm_1.jpg

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Get a black light and check your plants after dark.

If you get one with white specs/larvae on them, place it in a container with small holes (feed it). The larvae are parasitic wasps that use the hornworm as their host.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Yes I heard they are active at night but this particular one tore me up in broad daylight. I'll look into a black light. Checked plants first thing this morning and no further carnage.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Just spent the last 2hr harvesting and shelling pinto beans. Idk why I thought planting a 75Ft long row of them was a good idea. At least if the world goes to shit I can still make chili lol

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Just spent the last 2hr harvesting and shelling pinto beans. Idk why I thought planting a 75Ft long row of them was a good idea. At least if the world goes to shit I can still make chili lol
    And a lot of that as well...

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Yes I heard they are active at night but this particular one tore me up in broad daylight. I'll look into a black light. Checked plants first thing this morning and no further carnage.
    I use HFT's finest.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Do you guys have problems with blight? We had ok harvest of tomatos but im pretty sure blight got the plants. Any recommendations?
    Don't plant tomatoes near potatoes.

Don't compost the infected plants.

Try a Copper Fungicide.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I hate these mother effers. I watered my plants around 11:00 and all was well. Checked on them 16:00 and one of my cayenne pepper plants was gnawed up. Found a big fat juicy one which is now very squished. They sure are quick. First time one of my peppers was effed up. Tomatoes pretty much every year.

Other than vigilance, what to do?
    Tobacco_Hornworm_1.jpg
    We pick them and feed them to our granddaughter’s pet bearded dragon. Beats buying them at 3 for $10.00.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Do you guys have problems with blight? We had ok harvest of tomatos but im pretty sure blight got the plants. Any recommendations?

Also prune anything below the first set to increase air flow. I also prune as I pick. Can spray things to change PH of leaf surface also. It’s almost inevitable with most plants and i just try and stay ahead of it enough to keep the upper plant producing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Get a black light and check your plants after dark.

If you get one with white specs/larvae on them, place it in a container with small holes (feed it). The larvae are parasitic wasps that use the hornworm as their host.
    They are nasty looking creatures. Didn't know about the wasp larvae

Attachments

• 20220802_190346.jpg
      20220802_190346.jpg
      164.9 KB · Views: 77

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Spinach broccoli kale lettuce collard Swiss chard cabbage bok Choi and one more run of tomatoes

I turn like 80 percent of my garden over each season. Costs a lot of organic fertilizer.
    How early ya gonna do bok choy? I do direct sow and have had mixed results

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom