Attachments

• 20220629_194201.jpg
      20220629_194201.jpg
      542.7 KB · Views: 62

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    Ive only gotten one decent size zucchini so far. A couple squash. More coming in.

How do I tell when they are ripe?

Depends on what you are doing with them. I pick them about 8" long if I'm steaming them. I let them get up to about 12" long and about 3" around for frying. If making banana bread then bigger is totally acceptable. They really are versatile.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Two days ago this parsley was bigger than a basket ball.

Some varmint had a feast.

WTF

parsley.jpg

Cucumbers and zucchini doing well, though the green ones are no where near as good as the yellow zucchini. We got the shut out on the yellow plants this year.

cukeNzuke.jpg

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I couldn't get pickling cucumbers to grow in may, they just wouldn't sprout. Seed packets from the fix it store. Bought some seed from the local feed store and I got about 25 plants 3" high and growing fast now on a second planting. Bad seed, cool weather, I don't know.

I found I have better luck transferring plants from seed trays to 4" pots and then to the garden. Seed trays right to the garden and they languish before growing. The 4" pot plants are twice the size. Cherry tomatoes too. The volunteer plants from last years seeds establish and grow faster than seed tray plants I started the 1st of march.

Dingo222

Nov 6, 2019
    My cucumbers are really starting to show up now as well as the zucchini. The birds are doing their best to get to the tomatoes even with the bird netting. If it’s not the deer it’s the birds. If not the birds, it’s the tree rats. It never ends

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    About time to us to harvest/preserve. Where is a good place to get a large canning pot?
    I've never canned anything. Garden is going much better than I thought it would. Gonna make pickles today. I got a lot of sauce tomatoes that will be ready soon and am thinking of making sauce then canning it. This is all new to me, hope I don't F it up

BUffaloSocks

Dec 2, 2021
    Frederick Co
    My cucumbers are really starting to show up now as well as the zucchini. The birds are doing their best to get to the tomatoes even with the bird netting. If it’s not the deer it’s the birds. If not the birds, it’s the tree rats. It never ends
    Same with our cucumbers. Need to go find that pot soon so we dont lose our stuff! The birds were starting with our blueberries but seem to obey my bird yetting. Nothing attacking our tomatoes though. However something has been walking all over our corn and knocking them down. Wife had a great idea of putting out my trail cam, didnt know why I did not think of that.

I've never canned anything. Garden is going much better than I thought it would. Gonna make pickles today. I got a lot of sauce tomatoes that will be ready soon and am thinking of making sauce then canning it. This is all new to me, hope I don't F it up
    Pickles and sauce in our future too! I think you can keep it without canning in the fridge, but some sort of preservation method (Hot water bath/similar or pressure canner) lets them be shelf stable. Last time we made sauce I just vacuum sealed it and put it in the freezer. Worked pretty good.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I’ve used a fake owl and the flashy bird tape with success for birds getting strawberries. Have to move the owl once a week or so because they catch on.

I used a portable poultry fence electrified this year which the ground hogs found shocking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dingo222

Nov 6, 2019
    Speaking of cucumbers.. I pulled 5 in the last few days and they were bitter as hell. All green, no yellowish color like I left them too long. They are the burpee straight 8 variety. Any idea ? I have theM on a trellis and I’m pulling them when they seem ripe.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Any of you all have trouble growing corn? Two years running now my corn has fell over from rain and then it pollinates poorly. There is no lack of water as it is a valley spot and the ground can be hard to weed as it stay so moist.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I picked up some cedar boards to make a cold frame for the fall.

Holy hell the prices of the boards.

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    Any of you all have trouble growing corn? Two years running now my corn has fell over from rain and then it pollinates poorly. There is no lack of water as it is a valley spot and the ground can be hard to weed as it stay so moist.
    I'm not sure how big your patch is but I would highly suggest you "hill" the dirt up around the base of the corn. I have to a small patch and just go through with a hoe and when the plants are a foot or so tall, I pull up dirt from the surrounding area and put 4-6 inches of it around the stalks. It will help to support it as it grows taller. This is also a good weeding technique. You can do it several times ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom