• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I know this dead horse had been thoroughly beaten, but has Frosh commented or written on this? All I can find is Gansler's letter. I really want to start walking down Main St. With my 2 year old and my Winchester 94....maybe to get a coffee or some donuts. Thanks

I don't know where you live, but I'm pretty sure that most Coffee & Donut Shops won't let you in their doors carrying a rifle or shotgun...

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Without a doubt, unless it's hunting season. Expect LE interactions, if you are going to walk down the street with a loaded long gun. They will check to make sure, you have no malice or evil intentions.
    Rule #0 Treat all firearms as if loaded.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    The only reason to open carry a long gun is to get it banned so you can litigate G&S, again.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    If you want to find all the cops, they're hanging out in the donut shop.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This isn't Mo County specific, but state law about firearms at a demonstration. If you have one person with a long gun and a second person recording, it meets the definition of a "demonstration". I wouldn't encourage people to try this out for a couple reasons. As already stated, its just going to further scare people who think guns are "bad" and its going to be used politically by anti 2A people to pass another law. Further, you can get arrested and your weapon seized. There are better ways to show that Maryland gun owners are responsible and deserve the right to be able to safely carry without causing alarm to the snowflakes.

Possession of Firearm at Public Demonstration Section 4-208 Maryland Code

A demonstration is defined in Section 4-208(a)(2) as one or more persons picketing, demonstrating, marching, speechmaking, holding a vigil, or engaging in similar conduct involving the communication or expression of grievances or views with the effect, intent, or propensity to attract a crowd or onlookers.

A public place is defined in Section 4-208(a)(6) as a place to which the general public has access and a right to resort for entertainment, business, or other lawful purpose – not limited to places devoted only to public uses. It also includes:

Public buildings
    Areas in front or immediately around (including parking lots) of stores, restaurants, taverns, shopping centers, or any other place of business
    Public parking lots
    Public streets, sidewalks, or right-of-ways
    Public parks
    Other public grounds

It is illegal for any individual to (1) have a firearm on his or her person (2) at a demonstration in a public place or in a vehicle within 1,000 feet of a demonstration in a public place (3) once that person has been told by a law enforcement officer that a demonstration is occurring at that public place and (4) that person has been ordered by a law enforcement officer to depart from the area of the demonstration until the person has disposed of the firearm. Section 4-208(b)(2). This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer. Section 4-208(b)(1).

If a person violates this section, that person is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and/or a fine of $1,000 or less. Section 4-208(c).

All of that must be true. You have to be at or within 1000ft or a demonstration, law enforcement has to tell you that you are at or within 1000ft or a demonstration and then you have to fail to comply with removing the firearm and/or your person from the demonstration/1000ft of it within a timely manner.

I agree with all those who have said OC’ing a long gun to make a statement is just a general bad idea. At best you’ll attract no attention and/or have a polite interaction with a LEO. At worst you’ll get arrested and your gun confiscated and spend a few hours in jail till they realize they can’t charge you with anything. Well, really at worst they’ll make up charges that is going to require you to get a lawyer to fight the charges and those officers will likely suffer zero consequences for manufacturing something.

If you’ve got a good reason for OC’ing a long gun, do it (hunting, varmit elimination, walking it over to your neighbor’s because they want to see your cool new trap gun, whatever). Protest/political statement though is just a bad idea.

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    This OP conceded pages ago. The horse is mangled now. :-) Wish me luck on my maiden CCW voyage from Western MD to North Carolina through WVA and VA. Pulling over as soon as I hit WVA will be liberating. Thank you New Hampshire State Police and states that are friendly to non-resident permits! Also, thanks to the forum. I would still be waiting on my VA non-resident if I wasn't a new member here. Cheers!

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I guess my 5 years in Maryland has not yet been enough for me to think logically about the situation. I think the liberal brainwash from UNC-Chapel Hill is slow to wear off. Anyway assh@les...just joined MSI. Thanks for chattin' with me...Learning a lot.

You shouldn't call members assholes. It violates the rules of Maryland Shooters, and it is just plain rude.

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    You shouldn't call members assholes. It violates the rules of Maryland Shooters, and it is just plain rude.

The tone of the message was playful, and I was busting my own balls. I was also thankful for all the knowledge and support that I've gained from this forum. Sorry if I offended you. Did anyone else find that offensive? If so, apologies as well.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    The tone of the message was playful, and I was busting my own balls. I was also thankful for all the knowledge and support that I've gained from this forum. Sorry if I offended you. Did anyone else find that offensive? If so, apologies as well.
    I did not get that, I too apologize.

Depending on what you are using to post, there are "Smilies" to the right ofthe text box you can add to let people know if a post is sarcastic, funny, in fun, etc.

:D :innocent0 :lol2: :cool:

:beer:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

However, to avoid any further scrutiny make sure to apply these rules to your sacred membership card.

clint west

Aug 29, 2015
    maryland
    Excerising Open Carry rights should be done when there is a reason to open carry other than just being a kook, feeding one's own ego. If the latter, all you'll accomplish is giving more political ammo to the gun banners, and waste LE time.

Example - during hunting season, lots of pickup trucks with long guns in gun racks might be seen all around. The public then easily sees lots of hunters doing hunting and realizes there are plenty of people with legit reason to own firearms. Plus LE isn't going to be spooked. Sometimes some of the local national guardsmen would gear up, and jog down the road for PT. Openly carrying their issued weapons Nobody freaked because it was clear they had a reason to be openly carrying.

I guess if we were to want to express our right to open carry long guns for the sole purpose of demonstrating, it would be best to organize a long gun open carry day, with all LE agencies informed. Or organize an event.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Gansler's opinion (see post #42) was a convenient dodge and largely irrelevant. The problem is local law (for example Baltimore City), not state law. State law is silent, long gun open carry is not prohibited.

However, Baltimore City (and some other places) have a complete ban on carry for self defense (including long guns). To my knowledge, no one has ever sued Baltimore City, but that would be an interesting test case.

Does that include CCW with valid permit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom