• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S&Wesson87

Feb 20, 2014
    Good morning everyone. I'm new to the forum and somewhat new to guns themselves. I currently don't own any, but I am looking to make my first purchase sometime within the next month... I could not have picked a worst time smh. I've been doing some research on the current laws for first time handgun buyers... Piss on the 2A much, O'Malley?

Look, I'm all for trying to get guns out of the hands of criminals/reduce crime and straw purchases; I grew up in Baltimore City, so I'm familiar with the crime issue but even I know this isn't the way to go about it. So, I guess I just wanted an idea of what to expect when I go to make this happen: I know most of you guys have had guns longer than I've been alive, (I'm 26) but I'm sure U all are well aware of the new "process" that I have to go through. I've already pretty much decided what I want my 1st handgun to be, but honestly, I'm kinda thinking about just getting a semi-auto rifle or 2, maybe a shotgun, until I move.. Which hopefully will be sometime before the end of 2015. So, any advice guys? I welcome any and all suggestions from you guys; even tho I am no noob to guns (shot my fair share) I know I'm in the right place to get info. Thanks 4 even reading this guys,(I swear I don't speak this much in a week, ask my woman!) look forward to the suggestions.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Buying a handgun in Maryland isn't THAT difficult...even though they are trying hard to make it an annoyance. However, it's also not cheap. You will need a class (MSAR has held them for $20 I believe...but prices can fluctuated all over the place): see http://www.mdshooters.com/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2014-3-1;&e=1099&c=1

then there is the livescan fingerprinting charge which also fluctuates. I've seen prices from $54.50 - $78. One peron on an MDS thread reported paying $38. Then there is the $50 application fee when you apply online.

You can read around various threads here on MDS regarding what long guns a beginner might consider. I'd suggest something in a pump or semi-auto shotgun, probably a 12 ga since it's a better all around gauge unless you are particularly recoil sensitive (and some light 20 gauges can recoil as bad or worse than many 12 gauges). While I personally am big fan of doubles, particularly side-by-sides...but also Over/Unders, they are generally more expensive unless you go really low-end. One could do way worse than starting with a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 or even a Browning BPS for pumps. For semi-auto, Remington 1187 or one of the Mossberg models. A 22 rifle (Ruger 10-22 for semi or any of a number of bolt or lever actions) will let you shoot pretty cheaply (when 22s become more available again). For centerfire, again you can read over other threads. Good luck!

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    :wave: Greetings and best of luck in your quest for the joy of gun ownership.
    Definitely agree w/ the above recommendations, especially the Ruger 10/22.

S&Wesson87

Feb 20, 2014
    Appreciate the advice. I've actually thought about a Mossberg, maybe the 715T...but I've heard it's a POS, since it's mainly plastic. Any other similar models that you would suggest?

And I've checked out the 10/22, it's cool, but I would probably want to convert it to the "AR" look; think that's a good idea? Could I do it myself, or should I look for a gunsmith?

O yeah, does anyone know if I need to get a HQL to by a rifle/shotgun?

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Appreciate the advice. I've actually thought about a Mossberg, maybe the 715T...but I've heard it's a POS, since it's mainly plastic. Any other similar models that you would suggest?

And I've checked out the 10/22, it's cool, but I would probably want to convert it to the "AR" look; think that's a good idea? Could I do it myself, or should I look for a gunsmith?

10/22s are the Honda Civic of smallbore... you can find all kinds of stuff to easily modify the look

H in HQL is for handgun... really is that simple.

radial

Nov 23, 2011
    Boyds

No HQL required to buy a long gun. For that reason alone, you might consider starting there. You'll be into actually shooting something a lot quicker that way.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Please consider donating to the legal defense fund to support the UNITED CHALLENGE OF THE MARYLAND FIREARMS BAN[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    If you want an AR buy an AR. HBARs only, but providing you don't move to another stupid state, you can do WHATEVER YOU WANT with it after you leave. I wouldn't buy a Ruger 10/22 to be your AR. Get a 10/22 for all the reasons that make that rifle great.

Welcome from Carroll County. We are the county that gave you the star spangled banner.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 84

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome.

If you want a 10/22 to be a 10/22 , that is a popular choice.

If you wantan ertaz AR-15 that takes .22lr , there are multiple choices. S&W's is popular , and generally well regarded.

Personal choice/ personal coin toss on HBRA / otherwise street legal AR-ish somthing / or not.

I am outspoken that HQL's are inherently odious. Other sincere people believe by volentarily agreeing that your fundamental rights don't exist , that they will *stick it to the Man* in multiple ways. So make your psrsonal decisions.

And join the usual 2A support groups , and visit the usual ranges and shooting facilities. And introduce yourself on 2/26 and 3/4 to the middle aged white guy in Annapolis. T Annapolis humor)

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    In so far as a 10/22 is one of the better choices among 22 semi-auto and, yeah, you can make it look tactical, it's a good choice. However, don't write off the many bolt 22s or my favorites, the lever 22s (I have a Marlin 39D and my very favorite, a Browning BLR). I consider my BLR to be hands down the most fun to shoot among my several 22s. These guys can shoot short, long or long rifle as well as CCI CB caps (long or short) which are usually more quiet than air rifles. I also agree not to buy a 10/22 to be your AR. It might look cool, but it will never be an AR. Just my 2 cents.

S&Wesson87

Feb 20, 2014
    Thanks for the welcomes fellas!

Definitely agree with U Biggfoot on the HQL's; I think the only 1 doing any sticking around here is "The Man" ( w no lube....)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom