• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrkirby

Aug 26, 2008
    I know what I'm talking about, and I assure you my reading skills are up to par. All I am doing is expressing my opinion on the OP's dilemma. It is unfortunate that there are so many gun laws that restrict ownership, sales, and the like.

These laws have pushed many stores out of business, not wanting to have to deal with the paperwork and inspections. The company policy at Dick's reflects this, Dick's doesn't want to chance running afoul of the law so they make there policy a little stricter, "better safe than sorry".

Selling firearms to residents contiguous states is the policy. DC is not a state, although we can still sell guns to it's residents. DC requires more than just a 4473 to be filled out, I have never had the opportunity to sell a long gun to a resident of DC, but it is a very long and drawn out registration process.

If I was working at the time I would have suggested the OP to go to a gun store like keepshooting or all pawn that would process the sale with his Montana ID, Dick's certainly isn't my favorite store to shop at, but I don't fault them for their caution.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I fault them.

They have the time and resources to have a list and education availible to their employee's on what's legal and proper.

If a Mom and Pop shop can figure out what's legal for who then Dicks of all places should also.

They arent "playing it safe" they are playing it dumb and lazy. They realize one or two sales isnt going to hurt them so they dont need them. If they didnt move such volume throughout all their stores they'd sit down with their legal department (which we know they have) and draft up LEGAL policies for this. Not blanket statements about touching states or something silly.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I fault them.

They have the time and resources to have a list and education availible to their employee's on what's legal and proper.

If a Mom and Pop shop can figure out what's legal for who then Dicks of all places should also.

They arent "playing it safe" they are playing it dumb and lazy. They realize one or two sales isnt going to hurt them so they dont need them. If they didnt move such volume throughout all their stores they'd sit down with their legal department (which we know they have) and draft up LEGAL policies for this. Not blanket statements about touching states or something silly.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Dicks would rather have 100 unhappy one time customers than 50 return happy customers

Elgan

NRA Endowment Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Harford County
    I know what I'm talking about, and I assure you my reading skills are up to par. All I am doing is expressing my opinion on the OP's dilemma. It is unfortunate that there are so many gun laws that restrict ownership, sales, and the like.

These laws have pushed many stores out of business, not wanting to have to deal with the paperwork and inspections. The company policy at Dick's reflects this, Dick's doesn't want to chance running afoul of the law so they make there policy a little stricter, "better safe than sorry".

Selling firearms to residents contiguous states is the policy. DC is not a state, although we can still sell guns to it's residents. DC requires more than just a 4473 to be filled out, I have never had the opportunity to sell a long gun to a resident of DC, but it is a very long and drawn out registration process.

If I was working at the time I would have suggested the OP to go to a gun store like keepshooting or all pawn that would process the sale with his Montana ID, Dick's certainly isn't my favorite store to shop at, but I don't fault them for their caution.

No one's arguing about the existence of the policy, they're exercising their right to not shop at your company and share their opinions on your company's policy with others who may be similarly affected.

Your points have been made already, and further restatement won't change anyone's minds. That's what Threeband's getting at.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Just getting a state drivers license does not make you a resident for tax purposes if you are still active duty. When I was in California, I had to get a DA DL for my motorcycle but I still never paid state taxes because my Home of Record was Texas. It doesn't matter if you have the state lisence. The same holds true for all the seniors out there that have two homes in different states. If they live most of the year in a different state, that is their residence for taxes. (I think Maryland has tried to enforce some "proportional" taxing but I don't know hoe effective it's been.)

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Sorry for the hassle, but I'm not surprised. Places like Dick's, Gander Mt., etc., are staffed by people who generally have very little background with firearms sales before they are put behind the counter. Then, they are taught one way to do things, and only know that one way. Asking them to use logic is like trying to teach a hippo to run the high hurdles. Not gonna happen. Go to a dealer who runs their own shop.

MattWasHere

New guy
    Dec 5, 2012
    St Mary's
    Here is what the ATF has to say about it.

Military members on active duty and legal aliens have special residency considerations:

A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located. FFLs may accept electronic permanent change of station (PCS) orders, accompanied by a valid military identification card, to establish residency for an active duty military member of the Armed Forces.

This was exactly what I was trying to find! Thanks.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    What if the OP gets himself a MD ID card from the DMV with his home MD address?? will that "establish" him as a MD resident?

He does not need to establish MD residency per the ATF.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#state-residency

Q: What constitutes residency in a State?
    The State of residence is the State in which an individual is present; the individual also must have an intention of making a home in that State. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located. If a member of the Armed Forces maintains a home in one State and the member’s permanent duty station is in a nearby State to which he or she commutes each day, then the member has two States of residence and may purchase a firearm in either the State where the duty station is located or the State where the home is maintained. An alien who is legally in the United States is considered to be a resident of a State only if the alien is residing in that State and has resided in that State continuously for a period of at least 90 days prior to the date of sale of the firearm. See also Item 5, “Sales to Aliens in the United States,” in the General Information section of this publication.

[18 U.S.C. 921(b), 922(a) (3), and 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.11]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom