• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrkirby

Aug 26, 2008
    Idiots behind the gun counter huh? Well it just so happens that I'm one of those idiots that works at the Dicks Sporting Goods in Waldorf. Even though the OP lives in MD we have no way of verifying that. His permanent duty station is in DC, and his drivers license says he lives in Montana. If his permanent duty station was in a state that bordered MD or he had a MD ID or an ID from a state that borders MD this wouldn't be an issue. It MAY be legal for the OP to purchase a long gun out of state, but we don't keep detailed records of every gun law for every state. We only sell to residents of bordering states because we know there won't be an issue, the last thing the company needs is for us to sell a firearms to a NJ or CA resident and have our FFL revoked.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Idiots behind the gun counter huh? Well it just so happens that I'm one of those idiots that works at the Dicks Sporting Goods in Waldorf. Even though the OP lives in MD we have no way of verifying that. His permanent duty station is in DC, and his drivers license says he lives in Montana. If his permanent duty station was in a state that bordered MD or he had a MD ID or an ID from a state that borders MD this wouldn't be an issue. It MAY be legal for the OP to purchase a long gun out of state, but we don't keep detailed records of every gun law for every state. We only sell to residents of bordering states because we know there won't be an issue, the last thing the company needs is for us to sell a firearms to a NJ or CA resident and have our FFL revoked.

its a 10/22 not an pistol or an "assault weapon"...:sad20: I bought an AR 10 in VA...with TX drivers license...and military ID...I really dont see the big deal...

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central

Really...what states have outlawed 10-22's?

:lol2:

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    its a 10/22 not an pistol or an "assault weapon"...:sad20: I bought an AR 10 in VA...with TX drivers license...and military ID...I really dont see the big deal...

Yeah thought .22 and non regulated are just an fbi check. my buddy bought shotgun in West Virginia no problem.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

jrkirby

Aug 26, 2008
    10/22's, mini-14's etc. in various configurations are illegal to own in certain areas, New York City for example. It's not the companies job tiptoe on the edge of violating laws. I'm sure as a corporation they would love to sell as many guns as they could, but with as litigious as our society can be, along with the many backwards and ignorant gun laws, I certainly don't blame them for erring on the side of caution

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

Last time I looked DC bordered MD so what's the problem? Are you saying if his duty papers were for VA or PA it would be OK? What's the difference?

Nov 2, 2010
    Waldorf, MD
    I have verified my residence before with a Charles county water bill and that was accepted at Atlantic Arms. Since I own a home in Maryland. My orders are for Bolling AFB. I will never give up my Montana driver’s license just to buy a gun from someone. I can always go back to Montana and live free from communist laws. I just had money that I wanted to spend. Why is it that Dicks is the only corporation that is having problems keeping up with all the states gun laws? Wally world seems to do it just fine. I don’t blame the people behind the counter for gun rules the corporation has. But if enough of you employees talk to the HQ about how much they are losing in business then maybe they might decide to change their stance.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    10/22's, mini-14's etc. in various configurations are illegal to own in certain areas, New York City for example. It's not the companies job tiptoe on the edge of violating laws. I'm sure as a corporation they would love to sell as many guns as they could, but with as litigious as our society can be, along with the many backwards and ignorant gun laws, I certainly don't blame them for erring on the side of caution

So instead of the company with just about unlimited resources and attorneys and likely stores in every state learning the PROPER way to do sales they just come up with stupid policies that allow their employee's to "dumb down" their job.

Great.

What 10-22 is illegal in NY?

jrkirby

Aug 26, 2008
    While I do not claim to be an expert on New York gun laws, I'm fairly certain combinations flash suppressors and threaded barrels etc. are illegal there, which several models of 10/22 feature.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    So instead of the company with just about unlimited resources and attorneys and likely stores in every state learning the PROPER way to do sales they just come up with stupid policies that allow their employee's to "dumb down" their job.

Great.

What 10-22 is illegal in NY?
    :thumbsup:A stock 10/22 would be legal...
    I found this...but its just on a forum reply so take it with a grain of salt...post #5

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/rifles/5775-ruger-10-22-conversion-legal.html

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I have verified my residence before with a Charles county water bill and that was accepted at Atlantic Arms. Since I own a home in Maryland. My orders are for Bolling AFB. I will never give up my Montana driver’s license just to buy a gun from someone. I can always go back to Montana and live free from communist laws. I just had money that I wanted to spend. Why is it that Dicks is the only corporation that is having problems keeping up with all the states gun laws? Wally world seems to do it just fine. I don’t blame the people behind the counter for gun rules the corporation has. But if enough of you employees talk to the HQ about how much they are losing in business then maybe they might decide to change their stance.

Id just go to a walmart that sells firearms and get it there...or a gun shown...Dick's is usually over priced anyhow...and their sale prices are MSRP prices so it makes people think they are getting a deal..:sad20:

jrkirby

Aug 26, 2008
    Also I am surprised they let you use a water bill as alternate documentation for question 20b. If you look at the 4473, it says that if your address isn't on the primary form of id that you use, then the alternate documentation must be a government issued form stating your current address, something like a change of address card, or a carry permit.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's

So because Dick's doesn't know the law they err on the side of caution...I call a flag on the play. They (YOU) should know the law, it's their (your) responsibility as a legal FFL. As a military member stationed in DC (even if he resides in MD) you did the right thing, but he could have bought a 10/22 with his home state ID without issue.
    Fail for Dick's.....Again.

jrkirby

Aug 26, 2008
    Dicks has put a lot of time and money into their gun sales system, them have over 500 stores across the country to deal with, each with hundreds of guns in stock and thousands of employees to train. With as sketchy as most gun laws are, denying a few sales a year to safeguard their FFL is the right choice to make. I wouldn't want to be the guy that brings an investigation on the store due to a sale that was handled improperly. I've only worked there since July of 2011 and I've had people come in with experiences from other gun stores that make me cringe as far as mishandling of paperwork. In a situation such as this where company policy is more limiting than law, I am always the first one to suggest using another retailer in the area such as keepshooting, all pawn, accurate guns and ammo etc.

jrkirby

Aug 26, 2008
    @Spec4

Sorry, I wasn't aware that a water bill would be considered a government issued document. And we have sold firearms to DC residents in the past, it's a tedious process, but it has been done before. I'm trying to be polite here, but the rudeness of your post is palpable.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I guess they dont teach Geography much in school anymore...
    @Spec4

Sorry, I wasn't aware that a water bill would be considered a government issued document. And we have sold firearms to DC residents in the past, it's a tedious process, but it has been done before. I'm trying to be polite here, but the rudeness of your post is palpable.

you sure contradict yourself...If you sold to DC residents why is selling to a military member any different?:sad20: NICS only checks the social security number/name of the individaul and if the person is allowed to buy a gun...they dont verify address...at least from all the gun purchases I have made dealers never asked me about my address...:sad20:
    http://geology.com/cities-map/maryland.shtml

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Idiots behind the gun counter huh? Well it just so happens that I'm one of those idiots ...

... blah, blah, blah... dig, dig, dig...

... yadda yadda dig dig...

... dig dig ... blah blah...

... etc etc dig dig dig...

.... dig dig dig ... blah blah blah ...

First rule when you dig yourself into a hole: stop digging!

Why not read a little more, and argue a little less? At least until you build your post count up by some less self-destructive method.

You're killing yourself here!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom