• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nov 2, 2010
    Waldorf, MD
    Listen to this BS.
    I had money burning a hole in my pocket and wanted to pick up a 10/22. So after the gunshow up at the Showplace arena I stopped by Dicks Sporting goods in the dorf. I found a 10/22 that was cheaper than the stuff at the show and wanted to buy one. I told them I was military. I am a Montana resident since i am in the Army, and I will not change my home of record to a communist state. I do own a house here in Maryland though so technically I am a resident of Maryland. I have bought several firearms in Maryland with no problems. The guys at Dicks said I need to have official orders for Maryland to buy firearms here in Maryland. I am stationed at Bolling AFB so I have orders for DC not Maryland. He said I could buy it but would have to transfer to an FFL in DC to pick it up. When I asked why, he informed me it is a company policy. What a bunch of BS. I even informed him i am a designated collector in Maryland and he said sorry it is policy. So I will not be buying anything from a company that is not Military friendly, that makes us jump through hoops for no reason. :mad54:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    That's messed up. Give Frank a call, he's home from his trip and should be able to order what you want. If not I may be able to find one in the armory that I can part with.

Oh and thanks again for the help at the gun show.

sheriff160

Nov 1, 2009
    Waldorf, Maryland
    You gave them to much info and it put their brain in park!
    Just call over to Keep Shooting in Waldorf and ask Brian if he can order one for you and see if he can match the price. Keep Shooting is an excellent vendor and my first stop when I want to buy anything firearms related.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Screw 'em. Just par for the course when uneducated idiots are behind the counter. They just make up their own laws on the fly. IPs here are more than willing to help a service member.

SEC

Jun 19, 2012
    Yep saw the same thing down here in Pax. I was looking at a shot gun at the California store and watched an active duty guy get turned down due to no MD ID. The salesman was cool and very apologetic and stated it was the regional managers policy and there was nothing he could do about it.. The sales guy told him to write corporate and complain because it wasn't right. Pretty messed up considering the same firearm could be purchased at Wal-Mart just down the street.

Elgan

NRA Endowment Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Harford County
    I've made a few firearms purchases from Dick's in the past few months, and I know they have a pretty bad reputation for things like this. While I've never had an issue that really bothered me personally, I'm about to stop shopping there based on principle. Thanks for the post, even though reading these anecdotes chaps my ass.

Sorry for your hassle, let's buy local together!

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Here is what the ATF has to say about it.

Military members on active duty and legal aliens have special residency considerations:

A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located. FFLs may accept electronic permanent change of station (PCS) orders, accompanied by a valid military identification card, to establish residency for an active duty military member of the Armed Forces.

Yme

Platinum Member
    Nov 3, 2012
    It's called "DICKS" for a reason.:innocent0

:lol2:

OP, sorry to hear about the bad service that you received. Like you, I am not a MD resident and in the military and since moving here I have decided to stick with the "local" gun stores. They are much more understanding.

Hope you get to spend your $ somewhere else :)

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Why would they need orders...aren't 10/22s cash n carry?

To establish residency. The problem is the OP owns a home in Maryland, but his orders put his state of residency in D.C. He's from Montana and still holds a Montana drivers license.

Yme

Platinum Member
    Nov 3, 2012
    What if the OP gets himself a MD ID card from the DMV with his home MD address?? will that "establish" him as a MD resident?

Echo

Troublemaker
    Oct 31, 2012
    Annapolis
    I did kind of what Yme said. I'm here on orders but I used my apartment lease to get a MD drivers license.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    If he establishes MD residency he will have to pay MD taxes. I think he is trying to avoid that.

JOESTEELER

Jul 23, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Dicks

The reason that you can make the same purchase at walmart is because they have an FFL in about 42 or so states. So your military ID is basically good any where. Dicks are for chicks silly rabbit

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    What if the OP gets himself a MD ID card from the DMV with his home MD address?? will that "establish" him as a MD resident?

No military member should do this. Maryland's tax rate is quite high compared to the rest of the country.

Yme

Platinum Member
    Nov 3, 2012
    No military member should do this. Maryland's tax rate is quite high compared to the rest of the country.

Nope, wasn't planning on becoming a MD resident. MD has laws that I can't even believe exist

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Ive ran into the problem before...I usually go to a different dealer..that will sell it to you...Its a long gun...shouldnt matter what state you are a resident in so long as its not illegal to own in the other state...with military you are dual residency...I bought a AR10 in VA with Tx drivers license...and Military ID....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom