Fire Call!!!! Dems attempting to ram SB741/HB888...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    In case you got a bumpfire system

bump_fire_2012.jpg

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Yes, but that will change if the ATF's proposed new rule goes in to effect. Bumpstocks will legally become machineguns.

MGA passed a bill stating the BATFE's approval is needed. Which has been previously given, btw.

We can not be held to account for what may happen.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    MGA passed a bill stating the BATFE's approval is needed. Which has been previously given, btw.

We can not be held to account for what may happen.

Right, but my point is this:

If ATF reclassifies these devices as machineguns, it will be illegal to own them on a Federal level (because we can't own machineguns that were produced after 1986) so it doesn't matter what the state says at all.

These prior approval letters will all be superseded if the proposed rule goes through as written.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Right, but my point is this:

If ATF reclassifies these devices as machineguns, it will be illegal to own them on a Federal level (because we can't own machineguns that were produced after 1986) so it doesn't matter what the state says at all.

These prior approval letters will all be superseded if the proposed rule goes through as written.

The point is law (GCA'68) defines what a machine gun is. The BATFE cannot override a law with a regulation.

We will have to wait and see what happens...

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    The point is law (GCA'68) defines what a machine gun is. The BATFE cannot override a law with a regulation.

We will have to wait and see what happens...

They can and do all the time.

They aren't proposing a change to the law, or overriding what the law says. They are defining what the terms "single function of the trigger" and "single pull of the trigger" so as to include bumpstock type devices under the definition of machinegun.

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    Anyone who can't see that this is just to set up a future ban on semiautos (by simply changing the "definition" of machine gun, yet again) is an absolute moron.

That's where this is headed. There's no doubt about it.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Anyone who can't see that this is just to set up a future ban on semiautos (by simply changing the "definition" of machine gun, yet again) is an absolute moron.

That's where this is headed. There's no doubt about it.

Well, there are only two types of guns in MD. "banned" and "not banned yet."

Same could be said of the handgun roster, FSA 2013, and everything else.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    The machinegun part is that I am worried that the Maryland bill's definition of "burst trigger system" covers things like registered sears, so you wouldn't be able to buy them after October 1 if the bill goes in to effect.

This is exactly the language I've been worried about. It'll happen

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I've been concentrating on 1302 . Does 888 still require any action from MGA, or is it waiting for Governor action now ?

Eddited to correct brain fade on Bill number .

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    The machinegun part is that I am worried that the Maryland bill's definition of "burst trigger system" covers things like registered sears, so you wouldn't be able to buy them after October 1 if the bill goes in to effect.

This is exactly the language I've been worried about. It'll happen

If you're really worried about that language here's a simple trick.

If you plan on purchasing an auto sear in the future, make sure to buy it married to a host gun, and get the ATF to change the language on the Form 4 from "Machinegun Auto Sear" to just "Machinegun." I've seen this done before, and it's also reversible with the right communication. Trust me the ATF keeps records of what's an auto sear and what's not! Along with it's pedigree. I personally had to change the description of one of my machineguns, because the idiot I bought it from screwed up the OAL. The ATF transfer agent caught the mistake, and made me prove the change had occurred by supplying pictures with measuring tape and serial number, then sent via email to the agent. No biggie, and it only took a day to resolve.

It can still be used on multiple hosts (cough HK sear) and MD will be none the wiser. And I certainly don't use any verb-age like "Machinegun - Auto Sear" when I register with MD, it's just a machinegun and the entire description of the whole machinegun. For the serial number, I typically enter it as "original host gun serial number <space or slash> sear serial number" which covers both bases. And I always travel with the original host gun when going to shoots, just in case those jack-booted thugs might be hiding around the trees ;)

Take it or leave it, don't care.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Bump Stocks are legal accessories.

Yeah, Trump says he will push to get Bump Stocks turned into machine guns, but guess what: the closer we get to the mid-terms, the more the NRA lives rent free in Trump's head.

They will tell him that the people who don't vote for Trump will not vote for Trump just because he bans Bump Stocks, but that there is a likelihood Trump Gun Control will drain energy from the Base. Trump needs the Base--and continued control of Congress--to do Trump things.

I believe the ATF will eventually announce that Bump Stocks are legal accessories. Won't help us in the FREE STATE though.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    The final drama on Bumps Stocks has just unfolded in the Maryland House.

The Senate Bump Stock version, SB707 sponsored by Sen. Ramirez, was up for 3rd Reader (final) passage in the House when two Republicans from the Eastern Shore stood to offer an amendment, plus supporting arguments.

The storyline that follows comes from the online live audio feed from around 2pm. We have identified the Republicans standing for this amendment based on comments where they self-identify on the audio feed as "The Team from District 37-B". That would narrow the list to Delegate Johnny Mautz and Delegate Chris Adams from Wicomico County.

The amendment, which we have confirmed as offered by Del. Mautz, and backed by Del. Adams, stipulated that Bump Stocks and all other accessories named in the bill could be possessed by current HQL holders, or by Bump Stock owners who applied for HQLs to continue owning them.

The reasoning offered was that the owners of legal Bump Stocks would then be vetted law-abiding citizens who had been background-checked through the HQL.

The Delegate offering the amendment, who we confirmed to be Johnny Mautz said a ban won't work because "it's like trying to put the genie back in the bottle" because according to him people already own them and use them. He followed by saying that other bans simply cause more people to go out and purchase them--a supposition that was part of our Patriot Picket and MSI messaging emailed to legislators weeks ago.

The amendment proposal by the Republicans also raised this issue: if "public safety" was really at the heart of the Bump Stock concerns then the focus should be on the owners, not the devices--which, of course, dovetailed right back into the argument for HQLs.

Significantly, the amendment failed 42-91, suggesting a strong party-line vote by unified Republicans.

Veteran parliamentarians on both sides would have certainly recognized that this amendment, if accepted, would trigger another Senate/House reconciliation work session--which could threaten its final passage with so little time between now and the Monday midnight Sine Die end to the MGA this session.

It appears the replay for this House session is now accessible on the MGA website. We are trying to pinpoint the start-time on the playback so folks can jump right to this floor debate earlier this afternoon.

The audio for this debate begins at 45 minutes and 30 seconds from the beginning on the link below:

http://mgaweb3.maryland.gov/Segments/HLS_TS/prior_house/HSE_04072018_1.mp4-20180407-145254.m3u8

Last edited:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    There are oodles of people who don't require an HQL to buy regulated firearms. Are they not worthy of bump stock grandfathering? An argument could be made that those who don't require HQLs are more trustworthy. As the state didn't require HQL training for them to begin with. Due to their prior experience with firearms and their safe handling.

Anyone who's purchased a handgun or ERB in Maryland has gone through an extensive background check. Are they not worthy of grandfathering? Does anyone in the MGA ever think these amendments through before submitting them?

Time to write more letters and make more phone calls Monday morning. Cuzz these crap sandwiches aren't fully made yet. I encourage others to do the same. Let your Critters know we shouldn't be broken down into various classes of gun owners. These divisions already occur with concealed carry permits. It shouldn't be taking place with bump stocks too.

.02 of course.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    There are oodles of people who don't require an HQL to buy regulated firearms. Are they not worthy of bump stock grandfathering? An argument could be made that those who don't require HQLs are more trustworthy. As the state didn't require HQL training for them to begin with. Due to their prior experience with firearms and their safe handling.

Anyone who's purchased a handgun or ERB in Maryland has gone through an extensive background check. Are they not worthy of grandfathering? Does anyone in the MGA ever think these amendments through before submitting them?

Time to write more letters and make more phone calls Monday morning. Cuzz these crap sandwiches aren't fully made yet. I encourage others to do the same. Let your Critters know we shouldn't be broken down into various classes of gun owners. These divisions already occur with concealed carry permits. It shouldn't be taking place with bump stocks too.

.02 of course.

Remember, the amendment submitted was fairly well thought out to appeal to the "government regulation" freaks in the Democrat caucus. Had it passed, this would have forced further conferencing which could have resulted in the bill not making it to the finish line in time. This was an admirable effort.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Remember, the amendment submitted was fairly well thought out to appeal to the "government regulation" freaks in the Democrat caucus. Had it passed, this would have forced further conferencing which could have resulted in the bill not making it to the finish line in time. This was an admirable effort.

Are you recommending that we DO contact our Critters or that we DO NOT contact our Critters?

Cuzz I love contacting my Critters. Can't get enough of it. And they must love us contacting them. Cuzz they seek out our attention every effing year.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Are you recommending that we DO contact our Critters or that we DO NOT contact our Critters?

Cuzz I love contacting my Critters. Can't get enough of it. And they must love us contacting them. Cuzz they seek out our attention every effing year.

With the final passage of the Bump Stock, it now goes to Gov. Hogan. So aim your comments in his direction now.

It is worth noting that the final amendment offered by our side was a Hail Mary, in that it would have actually removed the language that SUSTAINS A BUMP STOCK BAN! Today's offered amendment would have allowed the current and future ownership of Rapid Fire Trigger devices named in the bill.

However, the crafty Takoma-Park-based sponsor of the original Bump Stock bill, Delegate David Moon--now relegated to being the floor leader of the Senate version in its journey through the House--recognized the ploy by the Republicans and criticized the Republican amendment as removing the total ban he was seeking.

And in typical infringement fashion, Del. Moon complained that our side failed to state A LEGITIMATE REASON to have these accessories. (After researching his Leftist Bill of Needs handbook)

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Also, in an apparent acknowledgement of the reach of MDshooters, Republican Del. Adams, when engaged in the last minute amendment process reported receiving "a tremendous response on our votes on [the House] bill".

Again, from the audio-only feed, the delegate we believe to be Johnny Mautz said that "when we do things that are extreme, and push people to extremes, we actually make people become more fanatical".

He added that he wants to see citizens participate in the law, not fight it.

Trappemann

Mar 26, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    This POS Bill!!!!!

If The Bumps are outlawed, doesn't Maryland have to buy them all back?

How does that work and who can tell me where to find it in COMAR please?

I was discussing this with Del. Mautz earlier. He is not aware of that provision.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom