Fire Call!!!! Dems attempting to ram SB741/HB888...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sonoramic

Charlie dont surf.
    Dec 16, 2011
    Millersville
    I'm not sure if this has been brought up already, and my apologies if so, but doesn't this crap law go against the Ex Post Facto issue? If so, does this violate the US Constitution under Article I, Section 10, Clause 1, and the Maryland Constitution under Article 17? There appears to be no grandfather clause, and no "just compensation". Yeah, I see where the ATF is relisting as a "machine gun", but this still goes against Ex Post Facto. Not only that, how can this be justified, by saying they "will provide a means of being able to retain this property", if at the time this law is passed, there was no means? That's like banning books that have bad words in them, but in the future, youll be able to register them with ....... once the new law/regs are passed? .... and that's without knowing what hoops you have to jump through to do it!

Dumb.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    No. This bill will actually make it illegal to buy a machinegun in Maryland after it goes in to effect. If you already own a machinegun that is properly and legally registered with the ATF, you can keep it, but no one in Maryland will be allowed to buy new machineguns after this.

I see no language that supports this. The only ban that a MSP/AG official can draw from this is is a ban on registered conversion kits and devices like bolts, Sears, etc.

The language does not permit a ban on registered receivers.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I see no language that supports this. The only ban that a MSP/AG official can draw from this is is a ban on registered conversion kits and devices like bolts, Sears, etc.

The language does not permit a ban on registered receivers.

Don't worry, you'll see that as an add-on next year. Just a minor drafting change. It will be under the radar.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Don't worry, you'll see that as an add-on next year. Just a minor drafting change. It will be under the radar.

Not disagreeing with this but I'm surprised people either don't care or don't believe the MSP will nterpret the statutory language as a ban.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Not disagreeing with this but I'm surprised people either don't care or don't believe the MSP will nterpret the statutory language as a ban.

I don't think all those here understand how bad this can get. Let alone our fascist dictator MGA. As soon as somebody kills someone with a full auto (legal or not) the MGA will be going after them. Just like night vision scopes, red dots, magazines, and anything else they can think of. The only chance we have is if the rest of the country can put Maryland in it's place. Maryland alone is a dying state. I often wonder is resources would be better spent outside of Maryland.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    A better way to squash this is show that you can do the same thing without the device with any semi-auto firearm. You don't have to show accuracy just that the same speed of fire can be done without the device. Then banning the device makes no legal sense.

That would only be seen as a powerful argument for banning ALL semi autos, including .22s, pistols, and shotguns. They're already pushing for that.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I don't think all those here understand how bad this can get. Let alone our fascist dictator MGA. As soon as somebody kills someone with a full auto (legal or not) the MGA will be going after them. Just like night vision scopes, red dots, magazines, and anything else they can think of. The only chance we have is if the rest of the country can put Maryland in it's place. Maryland alone is a dying state. I often wonder is resources would be better spent outside of Maryland.

OTOH, if we can stop, or at least blunt this bill in extreme deep blue Maryland, it will help people in other states fight similar bills. The Everytown astroturfs know this and that's why they're pushing so hard through M&M to ram it through here.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Is there a link to the entire bill? Not just the brief?

Is this written in stone (gonna happen) or is there still a chance it could get dismissed or re-written?

Thanks,

Dave

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Is there a link to the entire bill? Not just the brief?

Is this written in stone (gonna happen) or is there still a chance it could get dismissed or re-written?

Thanks,

Dave

It bassed both the house and senate, the two different sets of wording were reconciled and voted on. It is now headed to Hogan's desk for a signature, and Hogan has publicly stated that he supports a bumpstock ban. Consider this steaming pile of shit rammed down your throat already.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    That would only be seen as a powerful argument for banning ALL semi autos, including .22s, pistols, and shotguns. They're already pushing for that.

In 2013 I visited my delegate in Annapolis wearing my Sunday best, using my best manners, and armed with (at the time) non-partisan FBI crime statistics. I politely informed her that rifles were used in less than 3% of murders and that handguns were the real killing machines.
    Her response: “well maybe we should ban them too.”

At least I knew where she stood and that no facts or figures would make any difference to her.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    It bassed both the house and senate, the two different sets of wording were reconciled and voted on. It is now headed to Hogan's desk for a signature, and Hogan has publicly stated that he supports a bumpstock ban. Consider this steaming pile of shit rammed down your throat already.

Maryland:... The Script is Written >>>

Feds: ......:confused:

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    email: "are these legal to own without a tax stamp"
    ATF: "yes, they are"

Does one need to draft a formal letter for approval from the ATF, will an email or casual conversation with and ATF agent suffice? It seems like you have until 10-1-2019 to actually have to need an approval before that you simply ask for approval? Does the ATF really want to be bogged down with MDers asking for permission to own certain triggers. Would the feds just flip it back to MD and say "it's your law you figure it out"?

So many questions...

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Does one need to draft a formal letter for approval from the ATF, will an email or casual conversation with and ATF agent suffice? It seems like you have until 10-1-2019 to actually have to need an approval before that you simply ask for approval? Does the ATF really want to be bogged down with MDers asking for permission to own certain triggers. Would the feds just flip it back to MD and say "it's your law you figure it out"?

So many questions...

What I believe they will do is once it’s law MSP will write up that a stamp is required, didn’t they do that with the Hql ? Add something after the law was passed?

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Here is the written version of the adopted house bill:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2018RS/bills/hb/hb0888t.pdf

OK so maybe I am missing something but I looked over that document and did not see anything banning machine guns for the state of Maryland. Saw the work semi-automatic all over the place and rapid fire trigger systems (bump stocks) and the 4-401 section of Machine Guns was marked out.

So machine guns are still OK to purchase in Maryland?

Dave

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    OK so maybe I am missing something but I looked over that document and did not see anything banning machine guns for the state of Maryland. Saw the work semi-automatic all over the place and rapid fire trigger systems (bump stocks) and the 4-401 section of Machine Guns was marked out.

So machine guns are still OK to purchase in Maryland?

Dave

The ban stuff I was talking about is a new rule that ATF wants to put in place, at Trump's direction.

The Maryland law basically says you can have all of these various devices if you owned them prior to October 1, 2018 AND IF you have approval from the ATF to own them.

Right now that's no big deal because ATF doesn't give a crap about these devices since they're not regulated by the NFA.

However, Trump told Sessions to tell the ATF to do something about bump stocks, so they are proposing a new rule that would make all bumpstocks in to machineguns on a federal level. Since the bumpstocks were all made after 1986, they will be illegal for civilians to own and will have to be either turned in or destroyed.

The machinegun part is that I am worried that the Maryland bill's definition of "burst trigger system" covers things like registered sears, so you wouldn't be able to buy them after October 1 if the bill goes in to effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom