• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Nice weapon!! But I prefer something without all the gee-gaws. And I prefer Tritium night sights to a flashlight. But that's me. Hope it works well for you.

Actually Tritium sights and flashlight ( and equivalents ) are two different things , with two different purposes .

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Looks great! Ignore all the boomers on here who think a red dot is going to cost you your life. If it works for you that's all that matters. Most shooters who shoot often and have tried dots have made the switch (myself included). Only guns I have without a dot, can't take a dot (Ruger LCP for example). ]

I love your iron site setup that complements your dot too.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you like dots , ehh . I have a different opinion , but if you are willing for the trade offs , it's within the range of personal opinion and still potentially viable .

But compensators are inherently and fundamentally a bad idea .

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    If you like dots , ehh . I have a different opinion , but if you are willing for the trade offs , it's within the range of personal opinion and still potentially viable .

But compensators are inherently and fundamentally a bad idea .
    "Roland special"

There's nothing wrong with the OP's build for defensive use. It's effectively a compact version of a full sized fighting handgun. It'll likely never get used defensively, but should perform fine if needed. It sounds like he's doing the due diligence to ensure it's reliable and he's got trigger time to get the most out of it.

Modern pistol comps like his get rid of a lot of the old outdated stigma associated with them. He's got a light so the, "the comp will ruin your nightvision" worries aren't super valid(especially when considering defensive ammo uses flash retardant in powder). If shooting compressed, simply canting the slide outward, like you'd do in a pec index, sends any gasses/debris away from your face. It should just allow him to track that dot better and make faster follow-ups compared to not having it.

Last edited:

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Actually Tritium sights and flashlight ( and equivalents ) are two different things , with two different purposes .

I understand the differences. Thus I prefer night sights. I don't want to light up the night and show my location. I won't be storming any apartment buildings in Mosul....or Bloodymore!!

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Everyone has their priorities and preferences!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I understand the differences. Thus I prefer night sights. I don't want to light up the night and show my location. I won't be storming any apartment buildings in Mosul....or Bloodymore!!

A light isn't about shooting better . A light is about Seeing what/ who you're about to shoot . Or not .

Whether said Visability aid is mounted on the gun or handheld is a seperate discussion .

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009

Thinks he can hide from bad guys in the darkness.

Also thinks a WML would make him a ninja-DevGru-SWAT wannabe.

Hmm.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Looks great, hope it works well for you.

I prefer a minimalistic carry gun. I give up the accessories to have a lighter, more concealable tool. I like a no frills, small, point and shoot firearm for carry. A nightstand gun is different story.
    I agree with this.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The 1862 IS the same external size as your 1848 .

The same way that the 1860 Army .44 is same size as 1851 Navy .36 , with rebated cylinder of improved steel to fit on the " .36 Frame " .

The 1862 is a 5 shot rebated .36 cal cylinder , fitted into a " .31 Frame " .

Modern parallel - the introduction of S&W Chiefs Special in 1950 . 5 shot .38 Spl cylinder , in same ( basic) frame size previously 6 shot .32 .

CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall

The same way that the 1860 Army .44 is same size as 1851 Navy .36 , with rebated cylinder of improved steel to fit on the " .36 Frame " .

Modern parallel - the introduction of S&W Chiefs Special in 1950 . 5 shot .38 Spl cylinder , in same ( basic) frame size previously 6 shot .32 .
    Ya, i thought you meant the full size one.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I alway thought they were way cool concept . Until I finally handled one , and it was just rediciously too small for my XXXL hands .

What is intriguing that has never been reintroduced as a replica , is a properly sized Remington 1863 .36 cal .

The few Remington .36 cal replicas are just .36 cylinders and bbls on .44 frames . The Originals had their own unique frame size broadly comparable to the modern-ish Colt D frame cartridge revolvers .

The Remington '63 production continued into the ctg era in .38 rimfire .

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    A light isn't about shooting better . A light is about Seeing what/ who you're about to shoot . Or not .

Whether said Visability aid is mounted on the gun or handheld is a seperate discussion .

A light serves two purposes…to identify threats (or not a threat)…and to blind and disorient the threat.

You don’t want to shoot your drunk brother-in-law coming in to say surprise. Well…maybe you do but that’s a personal decision.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I'm really disappointed with the 43x and I am a die hard Glock fan. I am thinking of trying a Hyve trigger but don't want to keep throwing money at something and hope it works.

I put a 3.5 disconnector in it and polished the internals and that greatly improved the performance of the trigger but did nothing for the comfort of it.
    I was having the same "comfort" issue w/my 43x stock trigger. I finally switched out the OEM trigger w/an Apex trigger-- it cured the discomfort issue completely. The only other mods to my 43x have been an extended mag release to replace the stock mag release so I could use the 15 round Shield Arms metal mags, and a MILSPIN custom engraved backplate.

The 43x continues to be the firearm of choice for EDC carry over my P365XL w/RDS. At this point it seems mostly a confidence and competency issue. I have not grown competant enough yet to feel confident in each pull of the trigger w/my RDS --- and for whatever reason the G43x just "feels" better in my grip than the 365...at this point--YMMV. So the 43x gets the daily carry nod more often until things change...or not.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Everyone has their priorities and preferences!
    But one is not a preference over the other. They are 2 different things. Night sights don't work better than a light, or vise versa.

One allows you to align the pistol to make an accurate shot. The other illuminates the target in order for you see what you are shooting.

To say having a light will give your position away is silly. Most encounters are going to be noisy and violent anyway. Don't get me started on the "Snoopin 'n poopin' " clearing your house during a break in.
    Lights do turn off and no one says they need to be used. But to not have something is being irresponsible to yourself, and to those you want to protect.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

Oh yes, that 1862 Police is sweet. You just need the birdshead/round heel lower grip module from Wilson Combat.

It's a carry gun. You draw it, you point it, you shoot it.

I have GOT to remember to do those in the correct order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom