Field stripped a Ruger Mark III tonight.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Thanks for the warning and tips. Im picking up a new 22/45 on Monday. I'm assuming it's pretty much the same drill.

You will love it. Get the hammer bushing replacement (about $10). It will not only improve you trigger a bit, but also get rid of the ultra annoying mag lock. I had to pul the mags out. Now it drops free. :thumbsup:
    Mag Disconnect

22Shooter

Feb 5, 2013
    I was in the same boat, took a few YouTube videos and lots of cursing the first time I stripped mine down. I've had it for about a year and can completely strip and reassemble in no time at all. It definitely gets easier an the parts break in the more you do it.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I did that once.

In 1986.

.22s don't really need to be cleaned anyway.

Me to in 1981..... and I took it back to Atlantic and handed it to George and asked him to show me how to put it back together and he yelled for Tom ( his gunsmith ) to come show me how it goes back together. To this day I take the grips off and put it in the Safety Clean Machine.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I took mine apart once to install a Volquartsen trigger group and hammer bushing. The toughest part was getting the barrel assembly off of the frame. I literally had to take a rubber mallet to it to get it off, then again to get it back on.

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    This gun is why I will NEVER buy another Ruger product. I probably wouldn't even take a Ruger if someone gave it to me.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    This gun is why I will NEVER buy another Ruger product. I probably wouldn't even take a Ruger if someone gave it to me.

It's only a royal PITA the first few times you do it. After that you commit it to memory and it gets easier each time.

That Mark I kicked my ass for 2 days, was about to drop it off with a 'smith - which meant driving an hour plus, each way - but after enough cursing and smoking, I finally got it.

Spent the weekend constantly repeating the breakdown/reassembly process to build it into memory. The Mark I isn't a PITA anymore. :)

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Who has experience with the Majestic Arms bolt removal adapter? Pros or cons?

Depending on which kit, you can reduce the trigger pull to about 3 lbs, Basically disassemble once, install kit, re-assemble (like normal). You can just unscrew the new pin and then remove the bolt. You can always do a full field strip at any time.

I use them on the Ruger MarkII/III I use in class. Makes cleaning them a snap.

Not hard to install using the instructions. The best investment I have made for cleaning a Ruger Mark series!

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    You will love it. Get the hammer bushing replacement (about $10). It will not only improve you trigger a bit, but also get rid of the ultra annoying mag lock. I had to pul the mags out. Now it drops free. :thumbsup:
    Mag Disconnect

I just ordered that bushing...thanks for the tip! BTW, I love my 22/45 even though its a PITA to take apart and put back together.

maltob

Jun 26, 2012
    First time I tried to put my Mark I(been in storage for decades) together I broke the weld on the recoil assembly fins trying to force it(it took a mallet to get the barrel assembly off, and maybe it takes as much force to put it on) , and the spring shot off. I ordered a new one from Ruger , it looks better put together a and fits nicely.

Much better at it now, I can clean it as fast as I can clean any other pistol.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Ruger Mark III

yes..I have one of these. Also went through the Pain of stripping down for cleaning. Also have the "Majestic" installed, and also the Vorq. Trigger installed.
    BUT..now I simply remove the grips, and place the whole piece, intact with slide back into a A1 Kerosene bath. It sits there overnight. Then when I feel like it,
    it comes out of the bath, and is brushed down with a 1/2 inch Artists brush, bore is swabbed with bore cleaner, and a Q-Tip for the breech. Then the air compressor is turned on while the piece is draining. Blow dry, and re lube/oil or whatever you use. Gun is still going strong and hasn't skipped a beat. Also drop the Mags in the bath every once in a while.
    Save the Kero in a plastic container, let it sit, and the "dirt" settles in the bottom. Carefully pour off the Kero back into the bath for the next time, making sure you leave the dirt in the holding container...then discard, responsibly.

I never take the thing apart any more...piece of cake..:)

R

Mr H

Banana'd
    I sure hope so. But, my next attempt at field stripping this thing, may be a while.

The great part of that is, they will run just fine with some neglect.

I sorta thought I got the hang of it, but still had a brainfart somewhere along the line, and ended up having to take it to Scott's for a full disassembly!!

Good thing it's not an uncommon thing, or I'd have been scarred for life!:D

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Feh. I tried to install the easy strip down bits on my Mark II. I didn't read the entire set of instructions before starting, so I pulled one part out too far. Parts and pieces started falling like rain on the newspaper I was working over. Thank goodness I managed to find all of the parts. I had to take it to a smith to put back together. I had them install a scope mount while it was there, so not a completely shameful trip.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Feh. I tried to install the easy strip down bits on my Mark II. I didn't read the entire set of instructions before starting, so I pulled one part out too far. Parts and pieces started falling like rain on the newspaper I was working over. Thank goodness I managed to find all of the parts. I had to take it to a smith to put back together. I had them install a scope mount while it was there, so not a completely shameful trip.

I can hear the phone call now," Yeah, I ah need a scope mount installed..how much?""Great! I will be right over! Oh, and you can put it together...right?"

Fortunately, I have never done that!(insert sarcasm):lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom