Field stripped a Ruger Mark III tonight.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Oh, and you can put it together...right?"

The smith I took it to said that's one of his tests for a new guy. If they can put one together, they may be worth something. Nothing like handing a bag of parts to someone and asking them to put it together, praying you got all of the parts in the bag :sad20:

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    The smith I took it to said that's one of his tests for a new guy. If they can put one together, they may be worth something. Nothing like handing a bag of parts to someone and asking them to put it together, praying you got all of the parts in the bag :sad20:

I think we all have our share of, "oh crap!" moments. Ive been fortunate with firearms but had my issues with cars...I'm not the master mechanic I believe I am! Lol!

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I gave up on mine and took it to my dealer. Only took him a couple of min. I've since seen guys that can take one apart and put it back together in under a minute. I'm going to get the Majestic kit myself.
    IMO- Ruger pistols have a crappy design compared to say S&W for instance. I wanted to remove the cylinder from my GP 100 and took it to a friend at a dealer who can put anything together. Hard to believe all the parts you have to take out to get the cylinder out. I'd like to know who the hell designs these thing. My S&W is 1 screw to remove the cylinder.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    You will love it. Get the hammer bushing replacement (about $10). It will not only improve you trigger a bit, but also get rid of the ultra annoying mag lock. I had to pul the mags out. Now it drops free. :thumbsup:
    Mag Disconnect

OK, just installed the bushing...can't wait to take it to the range! Still a little fidling to re-assemble, my frame is really tight on the upper! But not having to run the mag in and out really helped.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Majestic Arms

Get the Speed Strip kit from Majestic Arms! Makes cleaning a snap, especially since I use the Ruger MARK II/MMARK III for my classes.

Dino is a interesting guy. How is the quality of his parts?

I bought one of his 10-22 Aluminum barrels about 2-3 yrs ago. Real excited waiting for it ( from a third party big 10-22 store ???? now ) and when it arrived, the finish was all screwed up. Called up the third party vendor, said to call the manufacturer, which is what most companies say! :D

I spoke with Dino, he said he had not sold them any barrels for a few years and offered to refinish it for $50 for me......well, I had to decline, and ended up sending it back and getting a full refund. But, I would like to buy one of them again some time, but this time, I would buy straight from him.

But he has some interesting projects going on. And the parts for the Ruger Mk II & III look pretty convenient.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Dino is a interesting guy. How is the quality of his parts?

I bought one of his 10-22 Aluminum barrels about 2-3 yrs ago. Real excited waiting for it ( from a third party big 10-22 store ???? now ) and when it arrived, the finish was all screwed up. Called up the third party vendor, said to call the manufacturer, which is what most companies say! :D

I spoke with Dino, he said he had not sold them any barrels for a few years and offered to refinish it for $50 for me......well, I had to decline, and ended up sending it back and getting a full refund. But, I would like to buy one of them again some time, but this time, I would buy straight from him.

But he has some interesting projects going on. And the parts for the Ruger Mk II & III look pretty convenient.

I have met him at a few of the NRA Annual Meetings. He has always been upfront with me and I have installed several of the Speed Strip kits over the years.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    I always leave the bolt in the barrel until I pop the barrel off the grip frame. For re-assembly, I put the bolt in the barrel and pop it back on the grip frame. It simplifies everything; no need to "pull the trigger, point the muzzle upwards, lift your left foot, point the muzzle toward Mecca, do the hokey pokey," etc.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I always leave the bolt in the barrel until I pop the barrel off the grip frame. For re-assembly, I put the bolt in the barrel and pop it back on the grip frame. It simplifies everything; no need to "pull the trigger, point the muzzle upwards, lift your left foot, point the muzzle toward Mecca, do the hokey pokey," etc.
    I'll have to try that next time. Good news though. I've done it 3 times now, and it took me a poltry 20 min's. last time. Getting easier...

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Wow! I field stripped my Mark III tonight for the first time. It took me an hour and a half. What a pain in the ass!!!!! What a lousy break down design. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this pistol. Real quality! But damn! What were they thinking? You really have to watch That stupid swinging pin inside the handle that a little bigger than a needle. If that thing isn't in the right position, you'll never get the thing back together. My wife and I watched several YouTube videos until we finally found one which explained all that. Then bam! It finally worked. If you have one of these, this video will save you a ton of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=darrhSfZsfM&feature=youtube_gdata

Sgt Preston here...

They are great shooters BUT ease of re-assembly was never Bill Ruger's main priority...

However, the more you do it the easier it gets...

Make sure you bookmark the video that works for you...

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    First, go here for everything rimfire.
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php
    Next, all you need is a paper clip to take the Mk I, II ,and III apart. It take three minutes to put it back together. Yes, the first time is tight :). After that it gets looser :(

Make sure the upper lines up with the grip. You may need to put pressure on it. Stand it up muzzle down while lining her up.

Good luck :)

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I can think of an unnamed IP employee who took his apart and could never get it back together or apart again. Many friends tried so he had to send it back to Ruger. I own 2 MK IIs and a MK3 and am deathly afraid of taking any of them apart after watching that fiasco. Ruger makes some nice guns but some mad scientist invented them. Case in point, look how easy it is to take a cylinder out of an S&W 586 and then look at the nightmare involved trying to do the same with a GP 100.

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    .22s don't really need to be cleaned anyway.

.22s absolutely DO need to be cleaned. In that respect, it`s no different than any other firearm. While it might be a little time consuming the first few times, it isn't difficult, and the benefit of having such an accurate pistol certainly outweigh the temporary difficulties of having to learn how to reassemble it. Sure, it's not as simple as a Sig or a Glock, but it isn't any more difficult to learn than a 1911.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom