• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    They ship directly to your door, no FFL required.

Range officer can witness your shooting, no formal match required.

There's a link to the form for that at the end of the list of qualification methods.

Maybe I wasn't clear, I do have my C&R, HQL, and Hunter Safety so I am good to go on the qualification. I just was not aware that they were ship to your door even without a C&R FFL. That was my question even though it didn't matter to me since I do have my C&R. It is a very unique program, that I was completely unaware of until a week ago. I see the name every once in a while and just assumed it was a retailer. Glad I found it and look forward to a 6 month wait time!

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Maybe I wasn't clear, I do have my C&R, HQL, and Hunter Safety so I am good to go on the qualification. I just was not aware that they were ship to your door even without a C&R FFL. That was my question even though it didn't matter to me since I do have my C&R. It is a very unique program, that I was completely unaware of until a week ago. I see the name every once in a while and just assumed it was a retailer. Glad I found it and look forward to a 6 month wait time!

Don't forget to order some ammo, the CMP surplus Greek HXP listed on their web site is good ammo at a good price (200 rounds for $146.00 loose in a .30 Caliber Ammo Can) which includes shipping.
    https://estore.thecmp.org/?cat=AMC

You will also need some enbloc clips, you get one with the rifle, the CMP also sells newly manufactured clips in boxes of 25 IIRC.
    https://estore.thecmp.org/?cat=PAC

You might also find their Coaching Resources and Forum of interest:
    Coaching Resources
    http://thecmp.org/training-tech/coaching-resources/

Forum
    http://forums.thecmp.org/

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I wanted to clarify the qualifications for other people reading this. For years I had the common misconception that it's a complicated process requiring people to shoot in formal competitive matches. That may have been true 35 years ago, but not anymore. There are many ways to qualify. It's not actually required to shoot a gun at all.

The CMP has a special dispensation from Congress allowing them to ship the rifles directly to purchasers. They do the equivalent of the 4473 as part of the process and run a NICS background check before shipping.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Hope you'll got your orders in the mail already! The CMP posted today everything is sold out except the field grade special's and the sniper models!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    IMG_0921.JPG IMG_0932.JPG D.JPG Field grade mix master pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0931[251].JPG
      IMG_0931[251].JPG
      58.2 KB · Views: 219

S&WGirl06

Sep 11, 2013
    Harford County
    I am interest in getting a M1 Garand. That looks like a good deal on the field grade based on the picture you posted. How long is the process of purchasing from CMP?

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    Ordered a field grade for $630 on 12-20-16. As of today in the E store order listing it states that they have my order but that's it. No credit card charged, serial number listed or shipping date yet. Patience is a virture.

S&WGirl06

Sep 11, 2013
    Harford County
    Ordered a field grade for $630 on 12-20-16. As of today in the E store order listing it states that they have my order but that's it. No credit card charged, serial number listed or shipping date yet. Patience is a virture.

Ok. Keep me posted on the process. I am thinking of ordering now so that I can get on the list. I appreciate your help!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    It can take awhile and maybe now even longer because stores are drying up. There is a link to the forums page in post #42 and when you go to "Garand" there is a sticky for a timeline. Rifles also turn up for sale periodically and there are plenty of good deals to be had. There are also members here that are very experienced that I'm sure would be more than willing to offer sound guidance. The one I received is really nothing special and is a mix of parts that just happens to have an old receiver which is interesting.

S&WGirl06

Sep 11, 2013
    Harford County

I just got on the thecmp.org website and the field grade $630 is now sold out. I am going to be ordering the $830 M1 garand now.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I just got on the thecmp.org website and the field grade $630 is now sold out. I am going to be ordering the $830 M1 garand now.

Check the CMP forum, link in my post above, they have threads that track the average time it takes for rifle and ammo and most questions you can think of have been answered at one time or another so use the search.

Last fall I ordered a Special grade which took two or three months and while I was waiting, a few weeks later, I ordered the Winchester CMP Special which only took two weeks from order to delivery. So the second order was delivered first but that is because of the number of orders in the que for the different items.

Don't forget to order ammo and clips.

You ordered the CMP Special grade which is completely refurbished with new barrel and stock and completely re-parkerized metalwork. You will think it is a brand new rifle when you get it and it should be a great shooter. The wood will be a little dry so plan on a few coats of BLO.

The last Special Grade I see reported on the order thread took 9 days but that may have been for an already existing customer. sometimes it takes longer for a first time buyer. Here is a link to the Garand Order Timeline Thread on the CMP Forum:
    http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=28081&page=1111

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    So is the Special Field Grade worth the $200 more than the Regular Field Grade? Other than being in stock? I have the itch to get one, from what I gather the $730 service grade is the better buy but not in stock. Would I be better off waiting for the field or service grades to come back in stock or just buy the Special Field Grade now? One plus would be no 3-6 month wait.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    It depends on what you want! The special comes with new production barrel and wood stock while a field or service grade MAY come with a USGI wood set and a USGI used barrel. I say MAY because their stock pile of riffles are getting small and they may start putting new production wood on field grades as they are already putting them on some of the service grades coming out recently. For collectibility most people want USGI parts and wood while if you want a shooter you would want a new barrel at least.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Back in December on the Outdoor channel the Shooting USA show did a piece on the CMP and they stated at the time of the filming the had less than 50,000 Garands left but also said more like 30,000 to 40,000. Those are all still in storage crates and may not be all serviceable to sell and some will go to auction also.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    $64,000 dollar question

So is the Special Field Grade worth the $200 more than the Regular Field Grade? Other than being in stock? I have the itch to get one, from what I gather the $730 service grade is the better buy but not in stock. Would I be better off waiting for the field or service grades to come back in stock or just buy the Special Field Grade now? One plus would be no 3-6 month wait.
    I was entirely interested in a FG because I see enjoyment in hobby smithing old rifles and ordered a barrel in case one showed up in .303 cal, in this case I just got lucky because there are some WWII components (barrel trigger housing, gas trap guard WRA bolt and maybe some other small parts.) If you do not want to go through all that I would get one with a new barrel and stock with tight lock up for shooting. What is not mentioned here is that ejector was stuck, rear sight assembly out of spec, less than stellar lock up, crown needed touched up and lapped, clean barrel, lube butt plate early but beat up saw cut gas cylinder dings dents worn finish and minor details that could make you nuts. What you really want to watch out for though in my opinion is a receiver with worn elevation serrations, or lightly or poorly struck markings gas cylinder or op rod nearly out of spec and poorly shaped or fitted stock.

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

It depends on what you want. I have Rack Grade, Field Grade, Service Grade, and Special Grade and there are differences in each grade. Read the Grade descriptions here:
    http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

The CMP usually beats the description but be willing to accept what is written. The short answer is the Special grade looks like a brand New gun, the Service grade looks like a used gun, and the Field grade looks like a well used gun, the Rack grade looks like an abused gun.

If you want a shooter to compete in Garand and CMP matches the Special grade is great. If you are mostly interested in history and collectable then the Service grade is the best choice. If money is a problem then the Field grade and Rack grade offer shootable options.

Sooner rather than later the wait will turn into SOLD OUT like it has for '03's, Enfields, Carbines, and training rifles.

Actually the $860 is a reduction in price. The regular CMP Special was selling for $995 and last fall the Winchester CMP Specials sold for $1260. The CMP offers some of the best pricing available. For some comparison pricing here are some links:

Orion 7 sells rebuilt M1 Garands their "Select Grade" description is similar to the CMP Special
    http://www.m1garand.com/m1-garand/m1-garand-rifle-sale/

Or you could buy a field grade and pay for the work to upgrade it i.e. new barrel, new stock, reparkerize finish, etc. here are some shops prices:
    http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/m1-garand/

http://frontlinearmory.com/gunsmithing/pricing/m1_pricing.html

https://www.jamesriverarmory.com/products/product/65-restoration-m1-garand.html

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I wish I had bought a half dozen more of the $435 M1 Carbines when they were available a few years ago.

Get what you can while you can.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I was entirely interested in a FG because I see enjoyment in hobby smithing old rifles and ordered a barrel in case one showed up in .303 cal, in this case I just got lucky because there are some WWII components (barrel trigger housing, gas trap guard WRA bolt and maybe some other small parts.) If you do not want to go through all that I would get one with a new barrel and stock with tight lock up for shooting. What is not mentioned here is that ejector was stuck, rear sight assembly out of spec, less than stellar lock up, crown needed touched up and lapped, clean barrel, lube butt plate early but beat up saw cut gas cylinder dings dents worn finish and minor details that could make you nuts. What you really want to watch out for though in my opinion is a receiver with worn elevation serrations, or lightly or poorly struck markings gas cylinder or op rod nearly out of spec and poorly shaped or fitted stock.

Since you enjoy hobby smithing the $64 K question is will you restore that as a Gas Trap?
    .....shows the gas trap Garands are serial #'s 81-51,559. And from august 1937 to august 1940.

I understand that doing one is a real challenge and can get expensive to find the real parts but when you are done you have a rare example that is not found in many collections.

Here is a link to the story of one such restoration from the CMP Forum:
    http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=104435

While looking for that I also came across where a guy sold just a gas trap receiver alone for $750 back in 2014:
    http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=148567

So no matter how you choose to restore it you got a great buy.

Here is another thread with more details on restoring an early rifle, not a Gas Trap, but made shortly after yours. Interesting reading.
    http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=135971

If any readers just wonder what a Gas Trap looks like this quick link has a couple of pictures:
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/gas_trap_M1.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom