• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I personally would NOT purchase a Garand with a new barrel unless I am doing shooting professional competitions. For a "collectable" to a "range toy", Ill stick with my USGI barrels. I fully believe that a new barrel ruins the collectable factor on these guns.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    No more than likely I will not, although that would be a hell of a personal achievement,there are gas traps parts for sale right now on the cmp forum and even if you were able to collect the parts it would still be a put together. Those parts are available for a reason and very expensive. The lack of a receiver which is the foundation of the rifle. For the money that you would have to put into it, not to mention the time it not only would it be cost prohibitive but it could take 20 years to stumble through the parts. I would get more satisfaction to be able to supply someone else the parts to complete a rifle that was almost "there" but that just me.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I personally would NOT purchase a Garand with a new barrel unless I am doing shooting professional competitions. For a "collectable" to a "range toy", Ill stick with my USGI barrels. I fully believe that a new barrel ruins the collectable factor on these guns.

I agree with you to a certain extant for collecting if that's your thing, but to me functionality is precedent. I'm just not interested in any rifle that wont do what its supposed/designed to do, but I know collectors are different.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Personally, I would not buy anything less than a Service Grade M1 Garand and I would not buy a special either.

I have owned over 130 Garands, shot them in numerous competitions since 2002 and did well (in the top 20%) and I've won or placed with all the name barrels: SA, HRA, WRA, and LMR. My current favorite is a corrected Winchester, 1943, with a WWII Win barrel. Best and most consistent I've ever competed with...capable of sub MOA at 200 yards.

The SA rebuild barrels from the mid '60s are great. The LMRs are well known for their accuracy and were a top choice to install on sniper rifles. HRA has a great reputation among the Garand collecting community. I lucked out with the finest WRA barrel ever produced...it's a winner.

The new Criterion barrels are good but I have not shot one. Think they are made by Kreiger and that's a fine barrel name. Own one but it's not been installed and likely won't be.

I am trimming a healthy Garand inventory ahead of schedule due to a major health matter, and am currently selling some IHCs and SAs for anyone who might want a Garand. I have one SA at $950 on consignment at Tyler Firearms in Halethorpe and the other SAs and the IHCs will start in the $1,300 arena as they have the correct time period stocks and parts on them.

Lew--Ranger63
    Korea, Vietnam (2), Germany

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Personally, I would not buy anything less than a Service Grade M1 Garand and I would not buy a special either.

I have owned over 130 Garands, shot them in numerous competitions since 2002 and did well (in the top 20%) and I've won or placed with all the name barrels: SA, HRA, WRA, and LMR. My current favorite is a corrected Winchester, 1943, with a WWII Win barrel. Best and most consistent I've ever competed with...capable of sub MOA at 200 yards.

The SA rebuild barrels from the mid '60s are great. The LMRs are well known for their accuracy and were a top choice to install on sniper rifles. HRA has a great reputation among the Garand collecting community. I lucked out with the finest WRA barrel ever produced...it's a winner.

The new Criterion barrels are good but I have not shot one. Think they are made by Kreiger and that's a fine barrel name. Own one but it's not been installed and likely won't be.

I am trimming a healthy Garand inventory ahead of schedule due to a major health matter, and am currently selling some IHCs and SAs for anyone who might want a Garand. I have one SA at $950 on consignment at Tyler Firearms in Halethorpe and the other SAs and the IHCs will start in the $1,300 arena as they have the correct time period stocks and parts on them.

Lew--Ranger63
    Korea, Vietnam (2), Germany

Sorry to hear you feel so poorly, did you build your two minute Garand yourself? I can hardly get 2 moa from a criterion barrel in some O3 Springfields I put together from a bench but, an Eddystone I have built will do that If I'm shooting well or in the hands of another shooter. In those types of rifles I have not seen a factory barrel on anything that I own that will outdo them except for maybe a rebuild O3 with a HS barrel. I would think a Criterion garand barrel would be more than sufficient for an average or occasional shooter. The one I have next to me that i bought with this "project" rifle seems like a decent product to me but Im not going to use it either. I haven't slugged it yet but it looks free from excessive tool marks, the breech threads are cut nice and the gas port is in a land. Just like the last one I bought "for another 03 that I did an amateur photo/ build on this site" Good advice above for someone that wants a sound investment but I don't collect Garands I only own 5 of them and certainly never hope I have to sell them for health reasons, good luck 176. Oh, Did you shoot at Butner year before last? I was on the other relay for a guy who cleaned the slow fire with a garand and I was surely no where near the top 20%! maybe 60% but I did it with a bolt rifle that I built myself so I was happy. Best wishes, Brian

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Sorry to hear you feel so poorly, did you build your two minute Garand yourself? I can hardly get 2 moa from a criterion barrel in some O3 Springfields I put together from a bench but, an Eddystone I have built will do that If I'm shooting well or in the hands of another shooter. In those types of rifles I have not seen a factory barrel on anything that I own that will outdo them except for maybe a rebuild O3 with a HS barrel. I would think a Criterion garand barrel would be more than sufficient for an average or occasional shooter. The one I have next to me that i bought with this "project" rifle seems like a decent product to me but Im not going to use it either. I haven't slugged it yet but it looks free from excessive tool marks, the breech threads are cut nice and the gas port is in a land. Just like the last one I bought "for another 03 that I did an amateur photo/ build on this site" Good advice above for someone that wants a sound investment but I don't collect Garands I only own 5 of them and certainly never hope I have to sell them for health reasons, good luck 176. Oh, Did you shoot at Butner year before last? I was on the other relay for a guy who cleaned the slow fire with a garand and I was surely no where near the top 20%! maybe 60% but I did it with a bolt rifle that I built myself so I was happy. Best wishes, Brian

No, I've never "tuned" any Garand that I picked to shoot in competition. What I did do was go to the range the week before a match and shoot 2-3 rifles with good ME and TE specs and hope that one would produce a sub 2" group. This Winchester was out for a function test one day when I became impressed with how well it grouped.

If your eyes are weak, you may never get 2" groups. There are several other factors that affect a Garands accuracy: like a tight gas screw, a rear sight the "tracks" accurately, a tight gas cyc (peen it if not tight), a tight lockup and a steady "hold" and a lot of match experience.

I am an unusual 76 year old. Wore glasses from 39 to 60 when my eyes reverted to near normal and today I still don't wear glasses nor need them on the firing line. If not for the f.... idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, I'd still be competing in our AGC high power league...had to stop in the Fall of 2015 and was still shooting Expert scores. I've been competing since 1952.

I've never shot at Camp Butner. I've never cleaned a stage with the Garand and you'll see that no many competitors do. Just too many variables and I shoot only military M2 Ball ammunition...very fond of the Greek HXP stuff...any year and that ammo is highly consistent.

I began shooting high power and C&R/Vintage/Garand matches at age 62 and stopped at 75. I shot smallbore locally wherever I traveled, have shot at the MD and DE state level and have been to Camp Perry just twice, 1960 and 2009 and I shot both times with my Ranger buddy Paul of 53 years. Paul still competes and owns Gooshevn Gun Shop and a real neat indoor and outdoor complex of ranges in Warren, PA.

Lew-Ranger63

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I wasn't even born in 1960! I'm a power lineman and electrical flashes from when I was younger have started to catch up with me. Luckily I can still catch movement pretty good but its getting hard to keep things in focus. I met a guy as an acquaintance whose a waterman who used to exhibition shoot at Remington farms and he told me he could sometimes see a weak 22RF round strike coins that were tossed in the air. I think he mostly just got them with the muzzle blast but dam if he couldn't dent some up. I guess he can still do it but he said he was lucky to be able to see that well and never wore sunglasses the whole time he fished. Good eyesight is everything and its important to protect it. Right now I need to hold a flashlight while I'm fooling with this old FG just to look at the rear sight pinion and cover spring and I don't think it will go the other way. I lived in PA but clear on the other side of the state. I used to compete at Ontalaunee when I wasn't busy working a lot of trouble work or hunting.

S&WGirl06

Sep 11, 2013
    Harford County
    Damn just a little late. I guess I will be in the same boat.
    Yup..I mailed everything in the following day. Hope I still have a chance on the $830 M1 Garand. Good luck to you when you decide to purchase one! D9nt wait to long like I just did.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Quick and dirty prone with the field grade, you can see all was going well until I moved back to 200. The first 100yd group was fired with a full clip of HXP and an initial setting of 8 clicks up and mechanical zero. 200 yd was fired with two more clicks of elevation. Once the alarm went off at Eldorada VFD I lost concentration,:innocent0 both groups fired in about 5-7 minutes each with one trip down range on foot and move my gear. There were no safety related or apparent malfunctions with the rifle other than the shooter. [/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH] Feedback would be appreciated

Attachments

• 100yd - Copy.JPG
      100yd - Copy.JPG
      112.7 KB · Views: 183
    • 200 yd.JPG
      200 yd.JPG
      58 KB · Views: 188
    • set up - Copy.JPG
      set up - Copy.JPG
      67.7 KB · Views: 185
    • Range view - Copy.JPG
      Range view - Copy.JPG
      94.4 KB · Views: 187
    Last edited:

Orlando

Thats very respectable group especially with a crappy target:) Google 'Free SR1 targets" print them off and set them at 100 yds
    Use 6 O'clock hold, If think you will find them much easier to see and your scores will improve

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Very nice considering the conditions and distraction. Keep it up and have fun. You'll find the HXP to be very good. I've
    shot it for several years and used it a lot in matches. Good stuff.

Lew--Ranger63

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Thank you both gentleman, I used a 6 o'clock hold on both targets and with the exception of the flyer could have worked it a little better I guess with a spotting scope and some sight adjustment. Ill use the printer at work to print off some targets! All this wants to make me get involved again its been awhile. Thoroughly enjoyed this thread and all the positive input and interaction it's created.
    Brian

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    My F5 key has been getting a good workout on the e-store page.

So did you mail your order in and than they will update you? or did you purchased through the Estore

Just curious, I am wondering if you mail in your order form, will the CMP email status updates to the email address provided on page 1 of the form?

chompers

Nov 8, 2012
    So did you mail your order in and than they will update you? or did you purchased through the Estore

Just curious, I am wondering if you mail in your order form, will the CMP email status updates to the email address provided on page 1 of the form?
    Mailed in. You get an email when they process your order that says there won't be any other updates until they're ready to ship. This is known as the "dbu" or "don't bother us email" . At this time your order will be visible in the e-store for tracking if you have an account. I made one before I mailed it in.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Mailed in. You get an email when they process your order that says there won't be any other updates until they're ready to ship. This is known as the "dbu" or "don't bother us email" . At this time your order will be visible in the e-store for tracking if you have an account. I made one before I mailed it in.

Ahh ok that makes sense - I have seen the DBU term thrown around....Thanks for the info! :party29:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    One more question - About how long after sending in the application should I expect to see a DBU...the app was mailed Thursday

That depends on what you order, how backed up they are, and sometimes you never get one, a DBU.

The best thing for order tracking is to follow the Tracking thread on the CMP Forum to see the progress of orders for similar guns reported by other people:
    This is the one for Garands but different grades track differently go to the last page
    http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=28081

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom