• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I'm not "Mr. Moneybags" but my Mosin 91/30 and T53 purchases were more about the experience than anything else. I purchased 2 91/30s for under $200 each and was able to pull them out of a crate of 20 picking what I wanted (and not knowing what I was doing really), that was more about the experience than forking out the cash. I could sell some of them now and not lose any $$ I put into it but only keep the time I spent. I'm glad I got those before I go the Sniper so I knew somewhat what I was doing.
    If all I had was a $200 mosin and I'm shooting 100 yards, I'd be happy with what ever grouping I'd get after spending some time doing the smith sights accurizing tecnique. If I got a Ruger American, I'd want to throw on $200 or more on scope and rings and not be happy till I'm hitting 1" groups @100 yards. I don't think it's a choice of one of the other and if it is, then there will people on both sides and they likely will have little regrets either side they take. Do a Mosin because of the experience I think and you'll be happy if you approach it that way. Well, that was my approach (And something to do over this winter....)

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    I have a hard time thinking that $200 is a fair price for a mosin.

I just bought a brand new Ruger American in .308 Winchester for $350. The savage Axis is also in that price range. Granted these are on the cheaper side of modern guns, but i would be hard pressed to think that a mosin is any better.

After hunting seasons buying used you can probably get quite a bit cheaper. I would guess you could get a ruger american used for about $200 when all the gun buying frenzy is over.

I just dont see the value equation working out for mosins at that price range long term.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I have a hard time thinking that $200 is a fair price for a mosin.

I just bought a brand new Ruger American in .308 Winchester for $350. The savage Axis is also in that price range. Granted these are on the cheaper side of modern guns, but i would be hard pressed to think that a mosin is any better.

After hunting seasons buying used you can probably get quite a bit cheaper. I would guess you could get a ruger american used for about $200 when all the gun buying frenzy is over.

I just dont see the value equation working out for mosins at that price range long term.

I am not very familiar with a Ruger American since no one won any wars with them :) but according to Ruger's website those are $450 rifles. Sounds like you got a steal at $350. But even at $350 it's 2x what a 91/30 costs. And I wish I could get my .308 ammo as cheap as I get my 54r. I like Ruger and I'm sure your American is more accurate and more sophisticated. I doubt it's as tough as a Mosin.

Also, there's something about a rough and tumble Mosin. If my Mosins could talk I'd listen. If my Remington 700 could talk I'd tell it to shut up and make me a sandwhich.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Btw, yesterday Classic was sold out of Mosin crates.

Today they're back in stock at $2,500 a crate, up $100 (only $5 per rifle but still).

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    I am not very familiar with a Ruger American since no one won any wars with them :) but according to Ruger's website those are $450 rifles. Sounds like you got a steal at $350. But even at $350 it's 2x what a 91/30 costs. And I wish I could get my .308 ammo as cheap as I get my 54r. I like Ruger and I'm sure your American is more accurate and more sophisticated. I doubt it's as tough as a Mosin.

Also, there's something about a rough and tumble Mosin. If my Mosins could talk I'd listen. If my Remington 700 could talk I'd tell it to shut up and make me a sandwhich.

I dont think its a steal at 350 :) picked it up at walmart in WV, mainly because it was in stock in the caliber i wanted. i think the MSRP is just so that it can sound like you get a discount :) they are right at 350 about everywhere. Bass pro has them for 399 even when in stock that is :)

And i agree a mosin is a part of history which definitely has some value to it. I just dont think the value equation works out to $200 for one.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Btw, yesterday Classic was sold out of Mosin crates.

Today they're back in stock at $2,500 a crate, up $100 (only $5 per rifle but still).

They have gone quite a while with the site saying "SOLD OUT", but in reality were still selling crates.
    Think of it this way, they were $1,800, then $2,400, now $2,500. (and likely selling them hand over fist, considering they don't even allow phone calls in, I'd say they are doing well). ;)

The next step is (uh, really this time) SOLD OUT for good. These arsenal refurbs simply cannot last forever.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    They have gone quite a while with the site saying "SOLD OUT", but in reality were still selling crates.
    Think of it this way, they were $1,800, then $2,400, now $2,500. (and likely selling them hand over fist, considering they don't even allow phone calls in, I'd say they are doing well). ;)

The next step is (uh, really this time) SOLD OUT for good. These arsenal refurbs simply cannot last forever.

I dunno, there have been rumor of mosins drying up since 2007. They made 40-50 million of them. The 'drying up' can be a scare tactic to increase profit or truth

Krinklesac

Mar 21, 2013
    My UPS driver hated me

Glad I was able to take advantage of the super cheap prices of a decade ago. My UPS delivery driver really got a workout.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I dunno, there have been rumor of mosins drying up since 2007. They made 40-50 million of them. The 'drying up' can be a scare tactic to increase profit or truth

I don't know either, but, they can't last forever, out of 40-50 million, I don't know how many actually exist today, and in what condition.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The price for an item is "not too high" for the market if they sell.
    Prices are "too low" for a market if they sell so fast and there is rationing going on.
    Just ask Jimmy Carter about that.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    I love my 91/30 and as soon as that slow boat from China get back with my C&R I'm getting a M39 or M44 to join my little collection maybe another 91/30 with a Monte Carlo stock. But this girl will stay stock no scope that's way it was built to shot. Only the second time I shot her now I got to work on getting a tighter group. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom