• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justin B.C.

Walken is a scary clown!!
    Dec 25, 2012
    Don't worry JBC, a lot of us have been researching these for many years and still learn stuff every time a new rifle is posted on the various gun sites because of all of the variations in this platform.

Yeah, I have been curious but the overload of different types, and my lack of knowledge has kept me away. I would hate to buy something that sucked in quality due to my ignorance of what to look for. All good though, I figure if I look at one and see a clean bore and parts in decent condition, I should be ok. Thanks all.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Yeah, I have been curious but the overload of different types, and my lack of knowledge has kept me away. I would hate to buy something that sucked in quality due to my ignorance of what to look for. All good though, I figure if I look at one and see a clean bore and parts in decent condition, I should be ok. Thanks all.

Feel free to start a thread or send PM's with any questions. There are many guys here that can steer you down the straight and narrow on Mosins. All you have to do is ask ;)

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    When Lou handed me that rifle, I knew how rare it was I almost fell over. I wanted it so bad, but he then proceeded to crush my dreams when he said it was not for sale.

I think he smiled a little bit to see me in such pain.

Lou's a businessman and not a Mosin collector. I bet we could pry that from his hands with the right amount of cash ;)

Justin B.C.

Dec 25, 2012
    Much appreciated. Someone from this forum has contacted me with an offer to look over some 91/30s and buy one.

Justin B.C.

Dec 25, 2012
    lol... no it wasn't. I just wonder how I am going to talk my wife into letting me get both a Mosin and the Engage HBAR...

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I believe (but am too lazy to google) the Russian Army was massive compared to other nations, so it would stand to reason that Mosins were much more common than the rifles of other nations. Also, the Russians over the past few years have been flooding the market with the crates of them that they arsenaled away.

Basically, I'm saying that the price is low because the supply is high, not because they are junk rifles. They are an amazing value. As the supply dries up I would not be surprised to see the price rise. Get 'em while you can.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Much appreciated. Someone from this forum has contacted me with an offer to look over some 91/30s and buy one.

If I were buying only one 91/30, I would get a nice matching hex with the best bore I could find. Tula seems to beat Izhevsk for desirability.

Oddly enough, the only 91/30 I have is a nice Updated Dragoon (hex) with a very good bore. But it's an Izhevsk.

Make sure you get a bayonet with it. The main purpose of the Russian Mosin is to serve as a handle for the bayonet.

Basically, I'm saying that the price is low because the supply is high, not because they are junk rifles. They are an amazing value. As the supply dries up I would not be surprised to see the price rise. Get 'em while you can.

I agree entirely.

However, the Mosin action is a crude, primitive, unrefined, clumsy, clunky design. It cannot compare with the refinement of the Mauser actions.

Bolt action design advanced rapidly between 1866 and 1898. Mosin was stuck in the early Chassepot/Gras stage of development. Mauser had almost perfected his design by 1891.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    The Mosin snipers will perform just as well as their US made counterparts, the quality issue is the same old propaganda that has survived the cold war, that all Soviet stuff was inferior, many Mosins have done very well at the Quantico sniper matches where all types of sniper rifles are used.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    The Mosin snipers will perform just as well as their US made counterparts, the quality issue is the same old propaganda that has survived the cold war, that all Soviet stuff was inferior, many Mosins have done very well at the Quantico sniper matches where all types of sniper rifles are used.
    You cant seriously defend the mosin quality to a mauser

vafish

Mar 13, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    I can understand, your take on quality.

With that said, whats the going rate for those comparable rifles? :D Thats all I am saying... Heads up.. Buy a few, stack em deep!

For under $350 you can get a brand new Ruger America. Or Mossberg ATR with a scope at the big box stores. Used they are under $300.

Makes a $200 mosin look pretty expensive to me.

But supply and demand will rule.

Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg
    Modern rifles aren't much more expensive out of the gate now, but what about the price per round to shoot? Now that 22lr is only a myth, the 7.62x54r round is literally the cheapest round to shoot in my arsenal. Even at today's prices ($200 / 880) Mosins run 22-23 cents a round. If you stocked up before the panic it was 17 cents a round or less. Much more bang per dollar to shoot if you're buying it to shoot.

And how do you put a value on history and intrigue? I see a rifle that was made 90 years ago and fought in WWII as extremely interesting. A gun purchased at Walmart may be higher quality, but will never be as interesting to me. It really makes me think when I pick one of these up, what horrors and triumphs has this simple piece of steel and wood seen? The mystique is worth every penny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom