• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Guys... Just noticed today that the importers wholesale price for a standard M91/30 just went up $30. It may be weeks or maybe months before we feel it for consumers, but if you are on the fence you might want to get one now. The days of $200 mosins are upon us........

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    They can try and add $30 at the wholesale level, but I don't think it's going to last long. M/N's aren't really worth what they're retailing for right now. That price is not sustainable, long-term, and once the buying frenzy passes any retailer who pays that marked up wholesale price is going to get screwed.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    They can try and add $30 at the wholesale level, but I don't think it's going to last long. M/N's aren't really worth what they're retailing for right now. That price is not sustainable, long-term, and once the buying frenzy passes any retailer who pays that marked up wholesale price is going to get screwed.

People have etched in their brains that a Mosin is a cheap (pricewise) gun. That is true, 5 years ago and still today. Looks at what is comparable to it.....

But what other good quality, high caliber gun can you get into for less than $400 bucks? I think it can be sustainable esp with cheap ammo. Besides, if wholesale prices go up, the retail vendors will only have to raise prices also. They may sit round longer, but they will sell.

Justin B.C.

Walken is a scary clown!!
    Dec 25, 2012
    Where is a good place to buy these, and it has to go to a FFL if I am not a C&R, right?

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Where is a good place to buy these, and it has to go to a FFL if I am not a C&R, right?
    Partially...
    Not many have vendors have them in stock right now, as you have to buy from a dealer or a face to face sale from a private party. Try Shooters Discount or South Carroll Sporting Goods.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    People have etched in their brains that a Mosin is a cheap (pricewise) gun. That is true, 5 years ago and still today. Looks at what is comparable to it.....

But what other good quality, high caliber gun can you get into for less than $400 bucks? I think it can be sustainable esp with cheap ammo. Besides, if wholesale prices go up, the retail vendors will only have to raise prices also. They may sit round longer, but they will sell.

High quality? I have had several mosins without concentric bores..off so bad it was hard to imagine posible, the safety is unusable, the sights are crude, action is not refined. They are nice guns, Id say high quality is debatable, compared to bolt actions today like the Remington 770 sure...compared to the other bolt action service rifles of the day (k98,1903spg,m1917 us rifle,mk1 no 4,k31) not even close

Not being a hater but there is a reason why these rifles were 69 dollars for so long. Having said that nothing is going to get any cheaper , ill be buying 3 or 4 more now. I learned my lesson with the AK stuff:mad54:

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    High quality? I have had several mosins without concentric bores..off so bad it was hard to imagine posible, the safety is unusable, the sights are crude, action is not refined. They are nice guns, Id say high quality is debatable, compared to bolt actions today like the Remington 770 sure...compared to the other bolt action service rifles of the day (k98,1903spg,m1917 us rifle,mk1 no 4,k31) not even close

Not being a hater but there is a reason why these rifles were 69 dollars for so long. Having said that nothing is going to get any cheaper , ill be buying 3 or 4 more now. I learned my lesson with the AK stuff:mad54:

I can understand, your take on quality.

With that said, whats the going rate for those comparable rifles? :D Thats all I am saying... Heads up.. Buy a few, stack em deep!

Justin B.C.

Walken is a scary clown!!
    Dec 25, 2012
    What models/features am I looking for? At this point, I have seen a couple videos of people shooting them, and read a Wiki article, but there is a lot I don't understand. Just perusing threads here I have seen: 91/30, M44, Finnish, Tula, hex, etc. The amount of stuff here makes my head spin... thanks for any help.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I cant begin to explain all the models and variations and stampings. Best bet to learn is just get a plane jane M91/30 to shoot and learn on. Hit the Mosin forums and here to begin to really learn. After that you can move into carbines, finns, and other models...

Thats how most learned... Thats how I learned... I bought 2 Mosins at a gun show, and it was all downhill after that. This sickness set in, chills, urges, the desire to touch more... Add more to my collection.. It feels good to just get one more, and then another and another and ......

I think you get the point..

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I am still learning after a few years... It will not be a quick process..

The rarest mosin I have held was this type of Mosin, it is a Polish WZ91/98/25 in 8mm.

Lou at Shooters Discount wouldnt sell it to me. :o

LOL! I bet Lou would sell it, but probably not at the price you were offering :D
    Without seeing more of it (than his original post), that's about a $1000 carbine ;)

Don't worry JBC, a lot of us have been researching these for many years and still learn stuff every time a new rifle is posted on the various gun sites because of all of the variations in this platform.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    LOL! I bet Lou would sell it, but probably not at the price you were offering :D
    Without seeing more of it (than his original post), that's about a $1000 carbine ;)

Don't worry JBC, a lot of us have been researching these for many years and still learn stuff every time a new rifle is posted on the various gun sites because of all of the variations in this platform.

When Lou handed me that rifle, I knew how rare it was I almost fell over. I wanted it so bad, but he then proceeded to crush my dreams when he said it was not for sale.

I think he smiled a little bit to see me in such pain.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

You left out one other important feature, those pos are UGLY as well. :D

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I cant begin to explain all the models and variations and stampings. Best bet to learn is just get a plane jane M91/30 to shoot and learn on. Hit the Mosin forums and here to begin to really learn. After that you can move into carbines, finns, and other models...

Thats how most learned... Thats how I learned... I bought 2 Mosins at a gun show, and it was all downhill after that. This sickness set in, chills, urges, the desire to touch more... Add more to my collection.. It feels good to just get one more, and then another and another and ......

I think you get the point..

I know what you mean!

Some times I just feel the urge to caress one of my mosins, and I don't know why! I love all my guns, but there's just so much history in a mosin, and on my M44s, I just look at how finely milled the rear sights are, and just how SOLID everything is, and it just makes me so proud to know it's mine.

Also, once I quit flinching from the massive fireballs I found I could drill a softball a 150 yards with boring regularity with my carbine.

MOSIN NAGANT FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom