• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Cherry picking here, I know, but all of my Lee Enfields cost me less tha $400, and I bought them all last year.

My Swiss K31 is more accurate and a scope mount that does not alter the original rifle is about $50. That being said, I'm glad I have both and I'm glad I have the K31 over a modern rifle. But that's just how I feel. Not everyone will feel the same thing and I'm sure some who have recently purchased a 91/30 has cursed it and not touched it since shooting it a few times. It's not for everyone. At least at the range, I have yet to meet a mosin shooter who's not happy with what they spent. I have however talked to a few friends who got mosins, sold them and moved on to something else because they were thinning their gun cabinet.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I think all firearms will go up in price, the Mosin being no exception. I don't think the Mosin's "quality" as in fit and finnish are as good as other rifles of the era, but they are just as durable and reliable. I got into Mosins for the initial low price. I enjoy working on them and tinkering with them. None, not even the M39s are nearly as accurate as my Remington 700 heavy barrel. But the Remington, while being excellent, is like newer luxery high end SUV. Far superior in most areas. The Mosin is like the old beat up Bronco you had in high school. The Mosin isn't as nice, accurate, or highly regarded as the 700, but they have a rich and wide history. My 700 is great, but it doesn't make me smile like the Mosin.It's so relatively good it's a non event. Every time I can make an incremental increase in accuracy of the Mosin I am thrilled. The Mosin is good, cheap fun. Everytime I go shooting, I grab a Mosin. The 700, while great, hardly ever goes out unfortunately. Even though the Mosins are the red headed step children of the WW2 milsurp collectoirs world, they are my favorite, even above my Mauser. I can buy 2-3 Mosins for one Mauser, and the plinking ammo is super cheap. Like Yellowsled said, buy now while you can. Look how fast the M44s from AIM have been selling out.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    This round suitable for reloading at some point? I now that milsurp is relatively (key word) plentiful now, but for the future?

Almost any round can be reloaded. The questions are: Can it be reloaded safely?; Can it be reloaded economically?; and, Can it be reloaded without more trouble than it's worth?

The milsurp 7.62x54 ammo doesn't answer well to any of these questions, but it can be reloaded ... more as an exercise in SHTF possibilities than anything else.

That said, there is non-milurp brass made for this round, and non-milsurp brass-cased ammo made for this round that can be reloaded as easily as, say, a 30-06. Dies are also made for reloading it, but none of this stuff is easy to come by in the present market.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    The Finns, who were sticklers for accuracy could have switched to a Mauser platform at any time but they stuck with the Mosin even after leaving Russia, that makes quite a statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom