• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    i also heard they are inspecting each unit to make sure they are not fakes

Before you send the Eotech HWS back they ask you one question that is key and that is the date of manufacture. In my case I just had the Inspection date that was in 2013. Ans they also wanted to know model and SN#.

Before anyone sends in their sight Eotech will tell them if it is a sight that is included in this by back/recall. I was talking to a guy last night who told me he has a friend that owns an Eotech HWS made back in 2008 that Eotech turned down for the full refund but did tell him that would give him $300. And I think that $300 was towards buying some other Eotech product.

If you or anyone owns an Eotech HWS that is part of the buyback/recall they will tell you that your approved to send it back for a full refund. However they do check everything you tell them in the way of the manufacture date and SN#. It's not hard for them to see a fake. Anyone that does send in a fake, Eotech can easily see a SN# that matched up with a given model number.

Just so people know, this is a response I received this morning when I asked the "How long" question of when I would see the check from Eotech:

"[FONT=&quot]Hello,[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]We have only just set up this program 3 weeks ago. We are working to make this happen as soon as possible. I do not have an exact date as to when checks will be issued. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Sincerely,[/FONT]
    EOTech Customer Service

[FONT=&quot]EOTech[/FONT][FONT=&quot]- An L-3 Communications Company[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1201 E. Ellsworth Rd., Ann Arbor, MI 48108"[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]www.eotech-inc.com[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]To submit a repair request double click[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]www.eotech-inc.com/raform.php [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    well no time frame but at least they replied to you. i would say they have there hands full with all of this. hope they dont run out of money

As far as Eotech replying to me, they have been very good at that. Often I will get a reply within 2min. The longest I had to wait was 30 mins. As far as them running out of money, I think if anyone does have a HWS they are considering sending back, they need to do it sooner rather then later.

Immersion

You have that power too
    Oct 10, 2013
    Libtardistan
    This is from Larry Vickers facebook:

'Hey Larry I know you've been fielding a bunch of questions about what's going on with EoTech and the return process. I know I have and I just got off the phone with the customer service manager. If you'd like feel free to share my experience with whoever you see fit.
    Alright Mike from EoTech (The customer service manager that everybody has been getting their RMA emails from) just called me. Super nice guy and extremely helpful. He ensured me that they are working around the clock to get everything processed. He said that it would be a full refund via some form of check. (Whether it's a personal check from EoTech, a cashier's check, or some other type of check he didn't know.) He said that the thermal shift that people are experiencing with the optics is only in extreme cases of temperature change. He said, obviously like any optic when the temperature changes you may experience a POI change. He said the extreme cases with large POI shifts were when they went from 100°+ to - temperatures. Now obviously if you've done any kind of long range shooting you know that temperature makes quite a bit of difference. A temperature swing of that magnitude is going to be a big difference... Possibly even 6 moa like some of the claims. He reassured me that the gift certificates and other rumors of some type of credit are in fact just rumors. He did not give me a time frame but did say that his inbox has near 20,000 emails. So I'm guessing it's going to be a while before those refunds start getting issued. (Probably a couple months) I hope this helps clear up any and all confusion about what is going on at EoTech. If you have any further questions please ask and I'll do my best to answer per my conversation with Mike.'

Seems like we'll just have to be patient while we await our checks.

hacktracker

Apr 10, 2012
    Lower-Slower
    This is from Larry Vickers facebook:

'Hey Larry I know you've been fielding a bunch of questions about what's going on with EoTech and the return process. I know I have and I just got off the phone with the customer service manager. If you'd like feel free to share my experience with whoever you see fit.
    Alright Mike from EoTech (The customer service manager that everybody has been getting their RMA emails from) just called me. Super nice guy and extremely helpful. He ensured me that they are working around the clock to get everything processed. He said that it would be a full refund via some form of check. (Whether it's a personal check from EoTech, a cashier's check, or some other type of check he didn't know.) He said that the thermal shift that people are experiencing with the optics is only in extreme cases of temperature change. He said, obviously like any optic when the temperature changes you may experience a POI change. He said the extreme cases with large POI shifts were when they went from 100°+ to - temperatures. Now obviously if you've done any kind of long range shooting you know that temperature makes quite a bit of difference. A temperature swing of that magnitude is going to be a big difference... Possibly even 6 moa like some of the claims. He reassured me that the gift certificates and other rumors of some type of credit are in fact just rumors. He did not give me a time frame but did say that his inbox has near 20,000 emails. So I'm guessing it's going to be a while before those refunds start getting issued. (Probably a couple months) I hope this helps clear up any and all confusion about what is going on at EoTech. If you have any further questions please ask and I'll do my best to answer per my conversation with Mike.'

Seems like we'll just have to be patient while we await our checks.

Sounds like they are downplaying the POI shift. After thinking about the recall, the wheels started turning and I realized that when I took my AR (with XPS2) to the range it was frequently off enough to require quite a few clicks to get back to POA POI.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    large POI shifts were when they went from 100°+ to - temperatures.

So if you go from say 110 to 100 would the shift be noticeable. Going from 100+ to a - whatever is pretty extreme.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Curious, before the problem, which they knew about, they had no return process? Then again 20K emails for one person is what might keep the company afloat so as not to dump all their money at once. Do they still have active contracts or size able consumer sales?

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Curious, before the problem, which they knew about, they had no return process? Then again 20K emails for one person is what might keep the company afloat so as not to dump all their money at once. Do they still have active contracts or size able consumer sales?

I'm sure they did if/when there were issues with their products. But how would the average person know about this issue? Here is how i'm looking at this. Depending on who you talk to or read the HWS lose their zero when the temp changes. Some gun shop counter help that you may talk to about this that still have Eotech HWS for sale I notice are playing this issues down as far as how much the temp has to change before it becomes an issue. To make matters worse with this issue, when the HWS returns to the temp where it was zeroed in, it does not return to zero.

So my feelings are I do not need any help missing the target. I do very well at missing the target all on my own. I do not need to spend $500+ for a sight that will help me miss the target.

Many diehard Eotch lovers will tell you that we do not have exstream temp changes areound here. I disagree. On a 85 deg day if you were to place your rifle in the trunk of your car and head over to my farm for a day of shooting, your rifle inside of your trunk may be 100-110degs before you get to my house. Also, how hot does your rifle get after you run 100 or so rounds through it? Heat rises and your Eotech HWS sit right on top of all of that heat.

Now during our day of shooting you take a break and you leave your rifle sitting on the shooting bench as the sun beats down on the HWS. So like the trunk of your car the sun beating down on the sight will heat up the insides of the sight.

And I can tell you that when me and a few friends did shoot for a few hours my groups would start to open up. I thought it had something to do with me getting tired. But looking back I think the sight was just getting hotter as the day went on. So I can miss all day using the iron sights for free. I do not need to spend $500+ to help me miss. Not to mention the waist of ammo we all run through these guns for nothing as we try to hit a target.

Anyone filing for price + tax or just the retail price?

They will only give you the retail price you tell them you paid +$15 shipping. Eotech (or any other company for that matter) will never give you tax money that went to your state back. I can tell you that if I had known what I know now I would have told Eotech that I paid $50 more then I did to just cover things like tax loss as well as this aggravation with this wait time before we get the money back that I just know will be months before it's over. .

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Have read through this thread and a little confused. I gather by reading it that EOTech had issue with their sites and told no one and are now processing refunds if you want one.

I see terms like POI and Drift as issues but, I have not seen this with mine. I have a 512 with an A65 reticle. Although I did send mine in a couple of years back for an "upgrade" because of battery drain.

Should I really be concerned or just keep it as long as I am not having issues?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Have read through this thread and a little confused. I gather by reading it that EOTech had issue with their sites and told no one and are now processing refunds if you want one.

I see terms like POI and Drift as issues but, I have not seen this with mine. I have a 512 with an A65 reticle. Although I did send mine in a couple of years back for an "upgrade" because of battery drain.

Should I really be concerned or just keep it as long as I am not having issues?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Like anything like this it up to the owner and if your bothered by the fact this issue exist. If it does not bother you and your happy with the sight yon may not want to bother. But here is the thing. Maybe, your a better shot then you know? When you miss the target, how much is it your inabilities that you have to work on and how much is the fault of the HWS that you most likely put $400 - $500+ out for?

Check out the following links:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/11/30/eotech-to-pay-out-25-6-million/

http://soldiersystems.net/2015/11/2...unications-for-fraud-involving-eotech-sights/

mikemike328

Aug 26, 2013
    Baltimore
    i have a new and used eotech, I wouldnt tell them about the used one but i would return that one first the other one is brand new in the box so i has a little more value to me. i am unsure if i want to be without a sight and dont have the money to replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom