• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Now that I have applied for my Maryland CCW, and I know my travels will take me up and down the east coast, what’s the best way to go about figuring out what permits I need to be kosher? Travels would take me south from here through Virginia, North and South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. i saw another thread about Florida, and that got me thinking. It’s relatively easy in Maryland since I just needed my DD214 to get my permit for the training requirement. Is this similar for other states? I also keep hearing about the Utah permit and am guessing that it’s reciprocity with other states is what makes it a good move. Can anyone advise? TIA

sks972ca

Feb 11, 2022
    DD214 got me my FL nonres.
    UT would take a 4 hour class but only get me WA on top of what FL got me.
    Each state has its own requirements, and you may as well get used to researching those because you're going to need to also research each state's laws on carry.

Concealedcarry dot com has a reciprocity map where you can game this out. Remember, it's just a starting point and you should look at the state's own info. I'd think the MD/FL combo would be all you needed for the named states.

Last edited:

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    All states listed are covered by my WV permit. Might look into non resident permit as that’s helpful for reciprocity. Looks like a FL non res permit should cover you also.

sickpuppyz

your mom sends me care packages
    Jun 14, 2020
    MoCo
    South carolina does not recognize non res fl or ut permits.not sure about wv. Uscca has reciprocity maps as well as any reciprocity restrictions. I din't like uscca but they do a good job including a stack of permits with you resident and non- resident options.

sks972ca

Feb 11, 2022
    South carolina does not recognize non res fl or ut permits.not sure about wv. Uscca has reciprocity maps as well as any reciprocity restrictions. I din't like uscca but they do a good job including a stack of permits with you resident and non- resident options.
    MD gets you SC though, right?

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Correct, if you're a MD resident. MD gets you a fair chunk of the SE coastal states.

1661091650007.png

sickpuppyz

your mom sends me care packages
    Jun 14, 2020
    MoCo
    that is correct. there are some people who already have these non res permits. once you get MD than yes, you can do pretty entire east coast south of MD when combined with one of the non-res permits like FL.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Awesome! Sounds like a Florida nonresident permit would cover all of my bases. Thanks so much for the help. Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t I see somewhere at some point that there is a book that covers all of the CCW laws across the states?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Awesome! Sounds like a Florida nonresident permit would cover all of my bases. Thanks so much for the help. Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t I see somewhere at some point that there is a book that covers all of the CCW laws across the states?
    You don't want a book. You want an app or website to keep current with the changes

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    MD, FL & PA covers just about anyplace I would go. FL is useful to fill in the blanks left by MD, PA just gets you PA.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Thanks for the link to the USA carry map. I guess I forgot about PA to visit my daughter at school. Anyone familiar with their non resident permit?

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Thanks for the link to the USA carry map. I guess I forgot about PA to visit my daughter at school. Anyone familiar with their non resident permit?
    PA is really easy once you have your MD permit. Fill out the application online in a county close to you. Once approved you have to go up to the county you applied to and pick up the permit in person. Only takes a few days to be approved and costs $20-25 dollars depending on how you pay

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    PA is really easy once you have your MD permit. Fill out the application online in a county close to you. Once approved you have to go up to the county you applied to and pick up the permit in person. Only takes a few days to be approved and costs $20-25 dollars depending on how you pay
    Thanks!

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Sorry for all the questions, but here is one more. Using the USA Carry site, it still has MD listed as "May Issue" I know its all new, but does anyone know the process or where to look to see if states will update their reciprocity status with Maryland since it's changing to Shall Issue?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Can you advise on an app that does this?
    I think this is the one my Brother got

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom