• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doofy_13

Dec 20, 2015
    Sykesville
    I would suggest getting a small target to take hunting with you. That way you can shoot the bolt into the target when you are done. When I used an xbow I just shot my bolts into the ground....ruined a lot that way.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I would suggest getting a small target to take hunting with you. That way you can shoot the bolt into the target when you are done. When I used an xbow I just shot my bolts into the ground....ruined a lot that way.

Either get a small target, or there are a few specially designed bolts for <$15 that have a tip that allows you to discharge it into the ground.

shocka04

Jan 17, 2012
    Calvert County
    +1 on the lighted nocks. Almost lost a bolt because I didn't have a lighted nock on it and took forever to find it.

Check with South Shore Archery for bolts. He should be able to recommend a good bolt for your crossbow. He also has a discharge bolt, which is a heavier grain.

I'm new to crossbows, but it seems like lubing the strings on them is very important and must be done more frequently than regular bows.

Like other bows, never dry fire.

SugeMike

Nov 28, 2015
    Thank you everyone for the advice and recommendations!!

I have a nice list of things I plan to pick up after the holidays now :D Hopefully we'll get some nice weather soon so I can go out and give it a go.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Very nice. I just gave myself a Barnett Raptor for Christmas. They are fast bows and fairly quiet. Love the light weight and only 16" axle to axle. I need a new target though. It blasts bolts with field tips right through mine and put a hole in fence. My package included a cocking rope. It was in the bag with manual and bow tools, and string wax.

Uncocking bolt is a must, but carrying a small target with you is a good idea too.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I preferred to un-cock my x-bow(yes, I had to buy one years ago for a 'job' It's long gone now) buy using the cocking string. Clip it to the string, pull one of the toggles all the way through one side, holding it with your strong hand, squeeze the trigger with the other and slowly let it down. Make sure to remove the bolt first. X-bow strings have a finite number of shots in them. It is pointless to waste them on de-cocking your bow.

SugeMike

Nov 28, 2015
    Finally found a Rope Cocker after visiting a few stores. Hopefully taking it out to test sometime this week. I'll update how it goes. Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. Would love to get out there before the end of the season and bag me something nice.

SugeMike

Nov 28, 2015
    Got out today to shoot the new crossbow finally and all I can say is WOW!! So much fun! Started off shooting down and to the left quite a bit for some reason. Played around with it and have it pretty much on point now. Still need to mess around with it some more though.

Its a lot easier to cock back than I was thinking it would be. I'm excited to take this thing out hunting!! Going to continue to practice and go from there.

SugeMike

Nov 28, 2015
    what kind of groups are you getting?

Took it out yesterday and was getting 1.5" or less groups at 15-20 yards. Thinking this will improve with more practice and a shooting rest. My make shift rig didn't seem to be the most stable. It wasn't until the last few shots, a friend mentioned a better way to get the bow steady.

This Rinehart 18-1 seems to glue the arrows into place. I need to get a better arrow puller because I was able to get a better grip on the arrow by hand than I could using the puller. I'm guessing it's made for longer arrows or something, maybe I wasn't using it right?

I'm looking at a Magnum Grip Arrow Puller. Anyone have any experience with them?? They seem to have excellent reviews from everywhere I've looked.

SugeMike

Nov 28, 2015
    I'm usually able to pull my out myself, it probably depends on which target you use. Quite a few people on archery talk use this one: http://www.ddarchery.com/

Its a Rinehart 18-1 and it welds the arrows into it or something. I've read reviews stating it gets easier after a few hundred shots... :rolleyes: I haven't shot it with any broad heads yet but plan to on the next outing. From what others are saying, they should be easier to remove. I have another target that should be here this evening that reviews state has SUPER easy arrow removal. We'll see how it all turns out.

The link you posted is the Magnum Grip I posted above. The more and more I read/see about it, the more I'm thinking I'll be ordering one. More than likely order it tomorrow. I'd love to get this thing sighted in so I can maybe bag one or a few by the end of the season.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Its a Rinehart 18-1 and it welds the arrows into it or something. I've read reviews stating it gets easier after a few hundred shots... :rolleyes: I haven't shot it with any broad heads yet but plan to on the next outing. From what others are saying, they should be easier to remove. I have another target that should be here this evening that reviews state has SUPER easy arrow removal. We'll see how it all turns out.

The link you posted is the Magnum Grip I posted above. The more and more I read/see about it, the more I'm thinking I'll be ordering one. More than likely order it tomorrow. I'd love to get this thing sighted in so I can maybe bag one or a few by the end of the season.

we have the same target and our crossbow buries the bolt so deep its difficult to get out...they have a lube you can put on the bolt but then you cant grip the bolt...I havent found a good one that will stop a crossbow bolt that is easy to remove as of yet.

SugeMike

Nov 28, 2015
    I'm usually able to pull my out myself, it probably depends on which target you use. Quite a few people on archery talk use this one: http://www.ddarchery.com/

I went ahead and got one of these. Got it the other day and had a chance to try it out today... BEST 40 BUCKS I'VE EVER SPENT :thumbsup:

we have the same target and our crossbow buries the bolt so deep its difficult to get out...they have a lube you can put on the bolt but then you cant grip the bolt...I havent found a good one that will stop a crossbow bolt that is easy to remove as of yet.

Magnum Grip

How much space do you have between the target and the fletching? If there is at least 3ish + inches, the Magnum Grip above WILL pull it out with ease. You could probably even grab behind the fletching if need be.

All you need right here. 40 bucks, but worth its weight in gold. This thing made my day today.

I decided to try it out today and all I can say is WOW. AMAZING! Pulled every one of them out with EASE. At least 40+ shots taken today in about an hour to hour and a half.

A buddy and I were taking turns trying to pull the arrows out of the 18-1 with no luck. Went from standing on the target trying to pull the arrows out while wiggling the arrows to try to work them loose. Tearing up palms and taking more time to pull the arrows out than anything else. I was dreading going back out shooting... THIS THING IS AWESOME. I'm quite impressed.

Gripped the arrows with this thing, gave a slight twist and you can feel the arrow release. Pulls right out afterwards. I'm sold. Hands down, best purchase I've made for this hobby. I'm going to be shooting more than I can imagine now!

Had the wife try it as well and she had no issues at all. If you have issues pulling arrows out of your target, try this arrow puller out, I'm telling you, it will be the best investment you make. Their site even guarantees that any arrow, shot out of any bow/crossbow, into any target will come out or your money back.

If you were in Maryland, I'd bring it by to let you try it out first. If you get one, you won't be disappointed. :party29:

SugeMike

Nov 28, 2015
    I invested in a bench rest and that has REALLY helped me see how accurate this crossbow really is. First two shots were touching each other. I had to start aiming at different spots so I wouldn't destroy any arrows. Out of 8 arrows, the grouping seems alright. All the same brand with 100g field points. The brand new ones sort of had a mind of their own, but I'm hoping that will change after a few more shots with them? The original 3 I started with group quite well.

I do have a couple questions though.

What sort of grouping size should I be shooting for? I'm guessing this changes depending on yardage?

What can I do to improve my groups?

Is it normal for identical arrows to shoot oddly? Some seem right on point while others seem to stray. I was thinking about weighing each field point and arrow to see if there are any differences between them.

I was able to take WAY more shots today thanks to this arrow puller I got. All in all it was a great afternoon. Hoping to get out there again tomorrow, if the weather fairs out.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I went ahead and got one of these. Got it the other day and had a chance to try it out today... BEST 40 BUCKS I'VE EVER SPENT :thumbsup:

Magnum Grip

How much space do you have between the target and the fletching? If there is at least 3ish + inches, the Magnum Grip above WILL pull it out with ease. You could probably even grab behind the fletching if need be.

All you need right here. 40 bucks, but worth its weight in gold. This thing made my day today.

I decided to try it out today and all I can say is WOW. AMAZING! Pulled every one of them out with EASE. At least 40+ shots taken today in about an hour to hour and a half.

A buddy and I were taking turns trying to pull the arrows out of the 18-1 with no luck. Went from standing on the target trying to pull the arrows out while wiggling the arrows to try to work them loose. Tearing up palms and taking more time to pull the arrows out than anything else. I was dreading going back out shooting... THIS THING IS AWESOME. I'm quite impressed.

Gripped the arrows with this thing, gave a slight twist and you can feel the arrow release. Pulls right out afterwards. I'm sold. Hands down, best purchase I've made for this hobby. I'm going to be shooting more than I can imagine now!

Had the wife try it as well and she had no issues at all. If you have issues pulling arrows out of your target, try this arrow puller out, I'm telling you, it will be the best investment you make. Their site even guarantees that any arrow, shot out of any bow/crossbow, into any target will come out or your money back.

If you were in Maryland, I'd bring it by to let you try it out first. If you get one, you won't be disappointed. :party29:
    I havent seen that before..I'll check it out though thanks!

I invested in a bench rest and that has REALLY helped me see how accurate this crossbow really is. First two shots were touching each other. I had to start aiming at different spots so I wouldn't destroy any arrows. Out of 8 arrows, the grouping seems alright. All the same brand with 100g field points. The brand new ones sort of had a mind of their own, but I'm hoping that will change after a few more shots with them? The original 3 I started with group quite well.

I do have a couple questions though.

What sort of grouping size should I be shooting for? I'm guessing this changes depending on yardage? Id want at least the arrows in a paper plate sized area at max range. The closer you are the tighter the group IMO..

What can I do to improve my groups? Practice, Sometimes indexing the broadheads might help.

Is it normal for identical arrows to shoot oddly? Some seem right on point while others seem to stray. I was thinking about weighing each field point and arrow to see if there are any differences between them. The weights should be pretty close, Depends if you use broadheads or field tips. The broadheads will definitely fly different...also check your fletchings for being loose or damaged.

I was able to take WAY more shots today thanks to this arrow puller I got. All in all it was a great afternoon. Hoping to get out there again tomorrow, if the weather fairs out.
    answers in blue above...just from my experience.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Get a bag target for field points and they will be easy to extract. I have a the Rinehart that looks like a giant die with a rope attached and it is easy to extract broadheads and I also have a ~350fps Xbow. I use 150gr heads of either type and wither Easton Big Game aluminum bolts or Easton Carbons for their stiffness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom