• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SugeMike

Nov 28, 2015
    It's a Barnett Brotherhood Crossbow.

She found it cheaper on Amazon than anywhere else she looked. Nothing super expensive but I'm hoping I can harvest some game with it!! Super excited to try it out!! Going to go over to the wife's aunts house soon to sight it in and play around with it.

I still have to pick up a rope cocker, target, more bolts and some broadheads. Any recommendations??

Attachments

• DSCN2356.jpg
      DSCN2356.jpg
      64.9 KB · Views: 620
    • DSCN2357.jpg
      DSCN2357.jpg
      101.1 KB · Views: 590
    • DSCN2358.jpg
      DSCN2358.jpg
      100.6 KB · Views: 584
    • DSCN2359.jpg
      DSCN2359.jpg
      102.1 KB · Views: 760
    • DSCN2361.jpg
      DSCN2361.jpg
      99.1 KB · Views: 674
    • DSCN2362.jpg
      DSCN2362.jpg
      99.2 KB · Views: 652
    • DSCN2363.jpg
      DSCN2363.jpg
      97.4 KB · Views: 752
    • DSCN2364.jpg
      DSCN2364.jpg
      89.3 KB · Views: 613
    • DSCN2365.jpg
      DSCN2365.jpg
      94.3 KB · Views: 623
    • DSCN2367.jpg
      DSCN2367.jpg
      88 KB · Views: 627

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo

She found it cheaper on Amazon than anywhere else she looked. Nothing super expensive but I'm hoping I can harvest some game with it!! Super excited to try it out!! Going to go over to the wife's aunts house soon to sight it in and play around with it.

I still have to pick up a rope cocker, target, more bolts and some broadheads. Any recommendations??
    Nice

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Crap is that all. Thought Bama47 might have been taking the pics LOl

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA

You'll want an arrow puller. Trust me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

You will love this crossbow.

Based on my experience with fast crossbows:
    * Use heavier broadheads or target points (125gr+). This will not only improve accuracy, but leave a better blood trail. Just like with bullets, given the same kinetic energy, heavier slower arrows seem to perform better. Also, many bows are somewhat more efficient as arrow weight goes up, so with a heavier arrow you will get more kinetic energy.

* Use arrows with a stiffer spine than the standard Easton-branded Barnett arrows, the stiffest you can find.

* Mechanical broadheads behave inconsistently depending on design. Some open well, some do not. May have to try a few to see what works best.

The most accurate combination of arrows/broadheads for my bow are not the most expensive. Believe it or not, good old fashioned thunderheads fly true and give me the best performance, so far. And by best performance, I mean I am lazy, so I like to see where the deer crashes from my stand whenever possible.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

You will love this crossbow.

Based on my experience with fast crossbows:
    * Use heavier broadheads or target points (125gr+). This will not only improve accuracy, but leave a better blood trail. Just like with bullets, given the same kinetic energy, heavier slower arrows seem to perform better. Also, many bows are somewhat more efficient as arrow weight goes up, so with a heavier arrow you will get more kinetic energy.

* Use arrows with a stiffer spine than the standard Easton-branded Barnett arrows, the stiffest you can find.

* Mechanical broadheads behave inconsistently depending on design. Some open well, some do not. May have to try a few to see what works best.

The most accurate combination of arrows/broadheads for my bow are not the most expensive. Believe it or not, good old fashioned thunderheads fly true and give me the best performance, so far. And by best performance, I mean I am lazy, so I like to see where the deer crashes from my stand whenever possible.
    OP-congrats and good luck hunting, Id stick under 30yds with the crossbow!

Ive gotten to like the fixed blade broadheads. Yes mechanicals make a big hole and nice blood trail if they work/open right...but now Id rather have a fixed blade and know its going to blast through.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    OP-congrats and good luck hunting, Id stick under 30yds with the crossbow!

Ive gotten to like the fixed blade broadheads. Yes mechanicals make a big hole and nice blood trail if they work/open right...but now Id rather have a fixed blade and know its going to blast through.

With the right setup, sub-1" groups are possible at 30 yds, even with broadheads. 350 fps is plenty of power to even kill a hog at 60 yds. The OP should be able to reach more than 30 yds provided wind etc allow for an erhical shot.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    With the right setup, sub-1" groups are possible at 30 yds, even with broadheads. 350 fps is plenty of power to even kill a hog at 60 yds. The OP should be able to reach more than 30 yds provided wind etc allow for an erhical shot.

You are prob right under ideal conditions but if you are in the woods you have to worry about tree branches, brush etc...Thats why I said keep under 30yds...I'd prob go 40 at best just because of obstructions. Just like rifle hunting...my rifle is far more capable than I am...it doesnt mean I'll shoot out to 500+ yards

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    You are prob right under ideal conditions but if you are in the woods you have to worry about tree branches, brush etc...Thats why I said keep under 30yds...I'd prob go 40 at best just because of obstructions. Just like rifle hunting...my rifle is far more capable than I am...it doesnt mean I'll shoot out to 500+ yards

Not as hard as you might think in central maryland. There are so many deer, the understory is nearly gone all season long. brush? what brush? It's tough to even find cover in the winter unless you get super high up.

Doofy_13

Dec 20, 2015
    Sykesville
    I would suggest getting a small target to carry around hunting with you. That way you can "decock" it by shooting a target an not kill all of your arrows shooting into the ground.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Awesome congrats!!! Just in time to finish this years archery season!

Arrow puller for sure...make sure you get a target that will stop the bolts and not pass through them. Practice practice practice .

Be weary of hunting in a stand/blind and make sure the limbs don't hit anything after you shoot. My father missed a buck a few years ago, he pulled the trigger and the limb hit the tree, bolt fell 5 yards in front of the deer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom