Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

Knuckle66

One of the 365
    Mar 11, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I listened to it on the way to work yesterday. I love his no nonsense view of how things should be done. Does anyone know where he stands when it comes to 2A?

Knuckle66

One of the 365
    Mar 11, 2012
    Hagerstown
    He is not a pro 2A guy.?

I don't know I've read some peoples comments over on the Blaze that make it seem like he's not. I would like to know where he stands. Maybe he doesn't like guns but supports our rights, or maybe he's out to take them all away, or maybe he's right there with us; I just don't know.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    I don't know I've read some peoples comments over on the Blaze that make it seem like he's not. I would like to know where he stands. Maybe he doesn't like guns but supports our rights, or maybe he's out to take them all away, or maybe he's right there with us; I just don't know.

Chad is right...Carson is utterly clueless on 2A.

See for yourself...country rednecks can have AR's. If you live near a city (Chicago for example) you probably should be disarmed. It's safer that way...

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Ok, his opinion seems to be that your firearms rights should depend on "location".

I don't think he should be thrown under the bus just yet.

He is obviously a rational guy and if he gets an education I assume he will make the rational choice.

Knuckle66

One of the 365
    Mar 11, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Well that sorta answers it. Dammit!!! I had high hopes for that man. Maybe someone can show him the way but it doesn't seem like it.

EDIT: However since he said it should be a local issue I believe that means if he were President he wouldn't come after us either. Only time will tell I guess.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Well that sorta answers it. Dammit!!! I had high hopes for that man. Maybe someone can show him the way but it doesn't seem like it.

EDIT: However since he said it should be a local issue I believe that means if he were President he wouldn't come after us either. Only time will tell I guess.

My fundamental rights should not be checked at any city/county/state line.

dave55

Dec 29, 2012
    Carroll County
    Dr Carson was at the Maryland Legislative Prayer Breakfast a few weeks ago and I was able to attend that. I'm not sure how many of the General Assembly were there. He did not talk about any 2A issues. He did say that the politicians should not vote along party lines but rather they should vote for the constituents that they represent.
    I believe more would vote against these bills if they did that. But then, I forgot that 85% of Maryland residents are in favor of these bill, just ask the Governor.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Honestly, I think the issue isn't simply one that is a primary concern for him. His focus and studies have been on economics and health. Don't forget, he is still at Johns Hopkins Hospital, which is one of the leading gunshot treatment facilities in the nation. I think if he were more exposed to our side and talked to doctors in Texas or other CCW states he might be persuaded to be more in line with our ideals.
    I don't think he'll run for office, and honestly I hope he doesn't. I think he would be much more effective as an advisor to be perfectly honest. Now, were he to run for office I would most likely support him, I simply don't think elected office is the best use of his talents.

Knuckle66

One of the 365
    Mar 11, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I think if he ran and was elected he would be a true Statesman. Someone that would do his job do it very well and when it was all over slide right back into public life.

I'm still worried about his 2A stance though, really worried.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Agreed ...

Honestly, I think the issue isn't simply one that is a primary concern for him. His focus and studies have been on economics and health. Don't forget, he is still at Johns Hopkins Hospital, which is one of the leading gunshot treatment facilities in the nation. I think if he were more exposed to our side and talked to doctors in Texas or other CCW states he might be persuaded to be more in line with our ideals.
    I don't think he'll run for office, and honestly I hope he doesn't. I think he would be much more effective as an advisor to be perfectly honest. Now, were he to run for office I would most likely support him, I simply don't think elected office is the best use of his talents.

Some people are adept at translating their core values into politics. I don't think Dr. Carson would be a good choice to run for POTUS. Not that he couldn't be swayed to supporting 2A in a broader sense, but he wouldn't be a staunch defender either. You're right that he's better as a person who can speak truth to power in specific areas like healthcare and economics, but leave 2A to the patriots and experts to do the same.

Like the peoples of ancient Israel, we clamor for leadership, whether they wear a crown or a robe, but when we elect one or the other we then realize that we have deceived ourselves.

We need a President, not another king ...

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Some people are adept at translating their core values into politics. I don't think Dr. Carson would be a good choice to run for POTUS. Not that he couldn't be swayed to supporting 2A in a broader sense, but he wouldn't be a staunch defender either.

I agree. I also think he's risen too far too fast. If you take a step back, it's almost as fast as Obama. Let's find out what the guys track record is before we declare him the savior.

Concerning 2A, I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt but deep down I don't think he "gets it". It's not like they asked him about something obscure (Syria or Chechen Rebels)...the topic has been debated endlessly since Aurora in Summer 2012. You either think of 2A as a fundamental right or you don't.

An adult that still thinks big scary rifles should be ok in the woods but not near a city is troubling. That's really a grabber's instinct.

ih23

Dec 13, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Hm... Let's examine the man's words again:

Beck: Second Ammendment?

Carson: Guns. There's a reason for the Second Ammendment. People do have the right to have weapons. With this argument that's going on. The way we solve it is, we ask, 'What is each side afraid of?' And then we address it, that way.

Beck: Do I have a right to own a semi-automatic weapon?

Carson: It depends on where you live. (laughs) I think if you live in the midst of a lot of people, and I'm afraid that semi-automatic weapon is going to fall into the hands of a crazy person, I would really not have it. If you live out in the country somewhere by yourself, I have no problem.

Beck: Is that a Government, federal Government or local Government that gets to decide that.

Carson: I think probably a local.

The guy is obviously not a gun grabber or against the 2A. Nor did it sound like he would initiate policies to go after gun owners. If you reread his second response, it could just be a personal opinion, that is, he would prefer not to own one in such a setting. Like most media hosts, including Beck, he's not well versed in firearm terminology. Most gun folks purposely try to refrain from refering to guns as weapons. As for Carson's approach, per his first response, it does seem he does not want to jump straight into the whole gun debacle without first finding out what the big hooha is all about.

Personally, considering his speech at the CPAC convention, I would trust him to do what is right and constitutional. The whole video segment of this debated interview lasts 49 seconds. That doesn't say much. Like others have said, he is in the medical practice and education field, and is no lawyer or a college professor on constitutional law in some liberal university (thank God). So guns are not his expertise. Hopefully he educates himself more concerning firearms, and is given more time to discuss the issue, if he does decide to run. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Here's his CPAC speech (21 minute mark):

7A38

Sep 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Beck: Do I have a right to own a semi-automatic weapon?

Carson: It depends on where you live. (laughs) I think if you live in the midst of a lot of people, and I'm afraid that semi-automatic weapon is going to fall into the hands of a crazy person, I would really not have it. If you live out in the country somewhere by yourself, I have no problem.

I said it earlier in this thread and I'll say it again. When Dr. Carson heard "semi-automatic", I am fairly sure he thought fully-automatic. Unfortunately, Dr. Carson is not a gun guy, meaning the terminology is not second nature to him. But he is not a gun grabber.

7A38

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom