• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vikingpwr67

Jan 28, 2013
    Baltimore
    He gets my vote!! I wish he would run for political office we need educated down to earth people that believe in what this country was founded on

Stevel Knievel

Feb 6, 2013
    The Universe
    Dr. Carson is somewhat like Dr. Paul

I too feel like Dr. Carson is a smart, sensible man but I feel inclined to remind folks out there that there was another smart and sensible man, also a doctor, that ran for office in the last two elections - Ron Paul. Unfortunately he is dismissed by Republicans and media because he is not a status quo, war mongering NeoCon.

jfox

Mar 27, 2012
    I too feel like Dr. Carson is a smart, sensible man but I feel inclined to remind folks out there that there was another smart and sensible man, also a doctor, that ran for office in the last two elections - Ron Paul. Unfortunately he is dismissed by Republicans and media because he is not a status quo, war mongering NeoCon.

I think that other doctor didn't go far with a lot of people because (to put it mildly) many of his views and positions go beyond the reaches of many rational people. Further, while he is certainly intelligent, one must also be a realist and able to appeal to more than just a select group.

Dr. Carson on the other hand, I am truly impressed with. This is exactly the type of leadership we need both in a president, and in our government as a whole. He is absolutely right about needing other "professionals"...not just so many politicians and career lawyers. This would bring back common sense and rational thought.

I believe this is a man who truly could win, and help save America. He is articulate, intelligent, can defeat the class warfare argument and the mainstream media, will appeal due to his story of hard work and accomplishment and on and on.

If only he could be persuaded to run, not just because he can win...but because he is needed. A responsibility even!
    The time certainly is right...though in reality I believe the time was oh about 6 months ago.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I think that other doctor didn't go far with a lot of people because (to put it mildly) many of his views and positions go beyond the reaches of many rational people. Further, while he is certainly intelligent, one must also be a realist and able to appeal to more than just a select group.

Dr. Carson on the other hand, I am truly impressed with. This is exactly the type of leadership we need both in a president, and in our government as a whole. He is absolutely right about needing other "professionals"...not just so many politicians and career lawyers. This would bring back common sense and rational thought.

I believe this is a man who truly could win, and help save America. He is articulate, intelligent, can defeat the class warfare argument and the mainstream media, will appeal due to his story of hard work and accomplishment and on and on.

If only he could be persuaded to run, not just because he can win...but because he is needed. A responsibility even!
    The time certainly is right...though in reality I believe the time was oh about 6 months ago.

I am a huge supporter of Dr Carson and as I am in surgical sales have had the opportunity to work with him. That being said I'm not sure that inside politics is his best use of his ideas and skills. I like his goal to help with the education system and I see him as being a proponent of change in grass roots efforts. If he officially declares himself an R he becomes an enemy of the state, much like Allen West.

Honestly, I think he has a LOT of credibility to work inside the African American community and can do more focusing his attention in specific areas. Would I love him as an advisor of some sort (Surgeon General?) h3ll yes.

SammyB

Jan 2, 2012
    Andrews AFB
    I searched for about an hour to find his stance on the 2A. He seems logical and all for the constitution, but can't find any mention of him and guns any where. So far he'd have my vote.

Stevel Knievel

Feb 6, 2013
    The Universe

Who is the "group" you speak of? Irrational people? I would say it was irrational people that put Romney forth as the race winning pony.

Minuteman - Oath Keeper

Guardian of the Republic
    Jan 28, 2013
    Khandahar, Afghanistan

I don't see how. He stays with the Constitution. I understand everyone would like to have it there way and sometime the Constitution doesn't support our personal views but to say "his views and positions go beyond the reaches of many rational people" is a bit far fetched.

Let us not forget it was the rational people that has given us 16,000,000,000 in debt and big government. Although I don't agree 100% with him I've never had any other presidential candidate in my life that was more in line with my views than not.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    According to a note in Del. Kathy Afzali's email, Dr. Carson will be speaking at a breakfast in Annapolis next month. No further details.

Feb 28, 2013
    That must've been the absolute most awkward 27 min of Obama's life. I got a kick out of watching the condescension and disgust just building on his face. I wish I could've been a fly on the wall in their bedroom that night.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Carson was 100% right on about lawyers and politicians. Educated folks like doctors, engineers and scientists are taught to balance conflicting interests and come up with the best solution to a problem regardless of position, where lawyers are taught to win. I'll take it a step further, they aren't even taught to solve problems and resolve conflicts.

Quite often in my field I'll end up in an engineering dispute and at the end of it agree to someone else's plan because logically they have convinced me it's the right thing to do (and even if I don't agree 100% that its the best but the group has decided otherwise, I'll still support it as long as it solves the problem and is safe to do.) I've never seen this consistently of career politicians. The only point where I won't back down is where I believe that someone's safety is at risk. I've seen this out of other scientists and doctors. I'm not bagging on all lawyers, it's just that in general, they are not taught to solve problems in a way that is fair and balanced.

Unfortunately the barrier to entry to politics and the level of BS so high most of these people would rather not enter politics.

I believe in a quote from Lincoln and try to apply it in my life.

"Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever you can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser---in fees, expenses, and waste of time. As a peacemaker the lawyer has a superior opportunity of being a good man. There will still be business enough."

Litigation is time consuming, painful, and costly. However, once you start the process you want to be the winner at the end of the day if you cannot compromise it before the Judge or Jury comes back with its verdict.

Lawyers make good politicians because they understand how to read and draft the laws. For instance, how many people on here look at SB281 and get a headache from it.

What I will say is that we need a very good mix in politics from all professions. Heck, attorneys could even be hired to draft legislation based upon what the legislators want accomplished. A couple attorneys in the mix as politicians would be good, but not when they makeup is so huge. Gladden and Frosh are both attorney, as is Senator Garagiola. Those are the ones I know off the top of my head. I am sure many, many more of them are.

Politics is a distasteful business, just like practicing law. So, lawyers can handle the practice of politics a lot better than others.

My wife keeps telling me I should run for office, but I surely do not want to be "branded" a politician. Already enough stigmatism being an attorney. Plus, I want to spend time right now with my kids. Who knows, maybe when I am in my 60's and semi retired.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Sounds like an answer given by someone who has not given the subject of the 2A a lot of thought. I believe (I hope ) we can educate him; Someone or some group on our side really needs to reach out to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom