• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    One was sitting on my deck railing early this morning, taunting me.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    A solution looking for a problem.
    That costs more than a two boxes of shells these days.
    Initially it was used as a participatory harvest survey for improved management that turned into a mandatory measure.
    Correct, it was initially a participation thing. Then, it turned into a mandatory thing and you needed to have a free stamp on your license to show that you participated in the survey. Cost a buddy of mine $255 because the guy at Walmart forgot to give him the free stamp to show that he took the survey. Now, Harvest Information Program ("HIP") is part of the online process to get the Maryland Migratory Bird Stamp cannot hunt doves in Maryland without the migratory bird stamp. Maryland finally figured out that it can get more money from hunters a la the federal waterfowl stamp, but whoever dreamed it up was really smart and made it migratory birds instead of just waterfowl so that all dove hunters would have to pay for it too.

My dad went on opening day. Shot at two birds, knocked one down, and could not find it in the soybeans. I'm going to try to get out there with him one Friday afternoon when the kids do not have soccer practice. My buddy invited me, my dad, and my kids to hunt on 200 acres of sunflowers at his place any Saturday this month after opening Saturday, but there are Saturday soccer games as far as the eyes can see.

The sacrifices we make for our children. lol

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Yeah! I’m hearing folks shooting this morning on their farms in western HoCo. Most of the fields still have something in them but the hay fields! If rock digging was fruitful she would be a useful dog lol.

Post up some pics how did you all do?
    Cannot dove hunt in the morning for the first segment of the dove season. September 1 to middle of October sometime.

Maybe you were hearing people hunting resident geese. Haven't even seen many resident geese in the air around here though. A couple groups here and there in Mount Airy, but not much.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    We have had that problem goose hunting before. Guys hear us shooting and call the wardens and they check us and tell us they were told we were dove hunting. I can tell the difference. Dove hunting is one guy shooting 1 to 3 times. Goose hunting is 3 to 5 guys unloading all guns at ones. Sounds quite a bit different.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Correct, it was initially a participation thing. Then, it turned into a mandatory thing and you needed to have a free stamp on your license to show that you participated in the survey. Cost a buddy of mine $255 because the guy at Walmart forgot to give him the free stamp to show that he took the survey. Now, Harvest Information Program ("HIP") is part of the online process to get the Maryland Migratory Bird Stamp cannot hunt doves in Maryland without the migratory bird stamp. Maryland finally figured out that it can get more money from hunters a la the federal waterfowl stamp, but whoever dreamed it up was really smart and made it migratory birds instead of just waterfowl so that all dove hunters would have to pay for it too.

My dad went on opening day. Shot at two birds, knocked one down, and could not find it in the soybeans. I'm going to try to get out there with him one Friday afternoon when the kids do not have soccer practice. My buddy invited me, my dad, and my kids to hunt on 200 acres of sunflowers at his place any Saturday this month after opening Saturday, but there are Saturday soccer games as far as the eyes can see.

The sacrifices we make for our children. lol
    255$ Holy cow! They should have gave him a warning if you ask me.
    Make sure to check your license thats for damn sure.
    I dont know what it would be from a federal agent. Theirs a few around here that are absolutely rapid.
    But, I know their is a lot of common violations surrounding, not having stamps, plugs, wrong ammo unsigned etc.
    Plenty of things they can get you for if they really wanted to.
    Hell around here, (Dorchester)they'll just Erpo you for goodness sakes. The criminalistic commissioners will sign anything it appears to me.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    We have had that problem goose hunting before. Guys hear us shooting and call the wardens and they check us and tell us they were told we were dove hunting. I can tell the difference. Dove hunting is one guy shooting 1 to 3 times. Goose hunting is 3 to 5 guys unloading all guns at ones. Sounds quite a bit different.
    You and I know what the difference between goose hunting and dove hunting sounds like. To a non-hunter moved to the country from the city, they don't have a clue. They report gun shots to 911 and then.......... Sometimes it is the police department checking us out, sometimes it is DNR checking us out.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    255$ Holy cow! They should have gave him a warning if you ask me.
    Make sure to check your license thats for damn sure.
    I dont know what it would be from a federal agent. Theirs a few around here that are absolutely rapid.
    But, I know their is a lot of common violations surrounding, not having stamps, plugs, wrong ammo unsigned etc.
    Plenty of things they can get you for if they really wanted to.
    Hell around here, (Dorchester)they'll just Erpo you for goodness sakes. The criminalistic commissioners will sign anything it appears to me.
    That is what I have been saying since law school. There are so many hunting and fishing regs that game wardens can probably find something each and every time they checked.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    That is what I have been saying since law school. There are so many hunting and fishing regs that game wardens can probably find something each and every time they checked.
    I always just leave the plug in lol. It never comes out. You’re not wrong though. There’s always a DNR reg that’s unknowingly being broken.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I leave the plug in also. I forgot one time and noticed on the first day of duck season I never put it back in. Never removed it again because of the possible fine potential. Plus the 4 or 5th shot goose hunting is usually marginal and wasted a lot of time and just wasting ammo most times.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Also this will be the first hunting trip my sons ever been on. I got his chair, ear plugs, juice, water, snacks, orange vest, anything else y’all can think of? Gotta keep this fun.

We will be on private property so no one around and he obviously won’t be shooting he’s 4.

Gonna paint his face too.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I always just leave the plug in lol. It never comes out. You’re not wrong though. There’s always a DNR reg that’s unknowingly being broken.
    It isn't just the plug. Going dove hunting and goose hunting the same day, you can be charged for having lead shotshells in your possession.

Wanton waste for not giving the proper effort to recover game.

Shooting before legal hours.

Shooting after legal hours.

Hunting over live domestic geese or ducks on the farm. How far is far away enough to not violate this law?

Hunting over bait. At least this is not a strict liability crime anymore.

Using the wrong shot size for turkey.

Then we can get into the bag limits on ducks.

Not having the proper stamps on your hunting license.

Not tagging a deer or turkey properly. Not tagging game properly that you give to another hunter.

The list goes on and on and on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom