Does “Commit to Buy” button override a well-documented, seller buyer agreement?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    But that is the problem. This is not Ebay. These are generally face to face cash in hand deals. With Ebay you do not have a choice. If you want something you bid, send your funds, and then and only then you receive the item. Maybe CBT should mean that you have to send the funds to the seller ahead of time. PayPal would work great for this. That would insure no backing out. That is really my point, sellers are held to the CBT, but it is just too easy for buyers to back out after seeing the item.

You are also saying that if you CTB and then see the item and it is just a piece of crap you are going to hand over your $350....... PALEASE!
    CTB presumes both buyer and seller are upstanding people with integrity. The seller isn't offering crap, and the buyer won't have remorse and reneg. IF I hit CTB and the item was clearly a piece of shiit, I wouldn't buy and if called out here, hopefully the board would know I wasn't the maggot, but the seller was.

I will never use CTB. I will contact seller and try to deal in person. If I lose the item because someone hits CTB while I am dealing, then so be it.
    All riiiiiighty then.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I will never use CTB. I will contact seller and try to deal in person. If I lose the item because someone hits CTB while I am dealing, then so be it.

I can't fault that, someone hits CTB.... when does he pay, 1 week.... 2 I take Paypal, a deposit seals the deal unless he's local and I know him. People agree to a del and they KNOW I won't ship weapons..... next day they want me to ship. :mad54:

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I agree with an earlier post that CTB should be done away with. May the highest and fastest bidder win. CTB is suppose to benefit both the buyer and seller, but lets face it, it really only benefits the buyer. If someone hits CTB then the seller is suppose to consider the item sold, but there is nothing to stop the buyer from backing out once he sees the item.

It's an easy one--DON'T CTB for something sight unseen if you're not comfortable with it. Arrange to see it first! If somone else does a CTB, it's their problem then. The integrity comes in trying to describe the item as best as possible, unfortunately there can always be disagreement as to condition especially when most of us are not experts.

There's no need to do away with CTB, it works for the majority of us. For those who don't like to buy based on description and/or photos, then don't buy-arrange a look-see inspection first. If, while you're doing your inspection someone else decides to take the risk and CTB, he gets the product. After all, he's taking the extra risk of buying sight unseen. If you want a totally risk-free transaction and do an inspection and like what you see, IMMEDIATELY go online with your smartphone and hit the CTB button ASAP not at the MSP or later that night when you get home, OR, have the seller remove the ad just as quickly. REAL easy. If that's not possible, perhaps you'd be better off buying from your LGS.

CTB is a tool that gives the buyer a quick way to purchase if they're willing to take a little additional risk. There's no requirement to take the risk. CTB is a commit to buy--it closes the ad, seals the deal, and notifies each party of their need to take action. The only thing it doesn't do is to inform the seller and buyer of their moral responsibility to finish the deal. That's where integrity factors in.

Maybe it should be changed to Commit to SELL to _______? Would that be easier to understand??

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Exactly^^^^^^^^^^

I can only speak to my dealings with the classifieds here. Everything I have CTB, I have paid for no issues. All except for one buyer who disappeard on here, have completed their obligation hitting the CTB button. If the buyer does not want to use the button, then they dont have to. But if they dont then it could be stolen from under them. Its a chance they take I guess. I personally like the button. imho fwiw..

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I hate the idea of saying commit to buy without more info sometimes. Especially on payment or transfer info item location etc.

And because of this I've lost some deals as well. I jave been ready to commit and it was grabbed but im not going to click till im ready

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    But that is the problem. This is not Ebay. These are generally face to face cash in hand deals. With Ebay you do not have a choice. If you want something you bid, send your funds, and then and only then you receive the item. Maybe CBT should mean that you have to send the funds to the seller ahead of time. PayPal would work great for this. That would insure no backing out. That is really my point, sellers are held to the CBT, but it is just too easy for buyers to back out after seeing the item.

You are also saying that if you CTB and then see the item and it is just a piece of crap you are going to hand over your $350....... PALEASE!

I commented a while back on this thread. This is one of my only real concerns about commit to buy. I would rather see most items before actually committing to buy. If I then buy the item, that's when I would expect my commitment to be there. I have arranged to purchase a couple items with respected members here who designated me a buyer which then allowed me to go see the item without me pressing the CTB. I hear some of you when you say buyers are liars. But if I tell someone verbally or otherwise I am going to buy their item unless it was misrepresented and under those 2 situations, I would only have backed out if something was radically amiss. (And, yes, I understand others may just try to escape a deal made too hastily).
    Because of the rules here, I have adhered to the CTB and even CTB on a couple items I had trepidation about. But if I am a buyer on Gunbroker or Gunsamerica, because of the possibility of a misrepresentation, a 3 day inspection is offered to give the buyer an opportunity to back out should they encounter some problem. This forum is much better in that I can usually arrange to see the item before fully committing to purchase.

I haven't actually had a problem...but did complete a few transactions (3 as buyer [2 of the sellers did designate me as a buyer, however], one as seller) BEFORE CTB and have had a concern about that (and not all of us have smartphones, BTW - as I stated previously, I refer to my phone as a Dumb-a$$ phone, lol!)
    Oh, yeah...I'm not one to complain...because I appreciate this forum and those who created it and moderate it, however, FWIW, I think it would be really great if the feedback were made a little more friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom