• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Preface: Not all the quoted text can be expected to be 100% accurate, and is merely an approximate representation of the conversation. Take it as such.

Not 30 minutes ago, I got home from a doctor appointment as a new patient. I was looking for a new family doctor, and it had taken me over 30 days to get seen by this new practice.

Most of the visit was regular stuff - height, weight, smoke: yes/no, drink: yes/no, medical history, that sort of thing, but then the doctor came in, she started asking me "safety" related questions, like, "Do you have a smoke detector in your home?'

"Well, why do you need to know that? Is there something in a smoke detector that pertains to my immediate health?"

"Well, we're just going to be asking you some safety related questions [or something like that] to see if you're being safe at home, like, do you own any firearms?"

I play dumb. "Why do you want to know about my firearms? Is this for some kind of survey? Who ordered you to ask these questions."

"Well, sir, we just want to know if you're being safe [something, something] at-risk behaviors."

"This interview is terminated. I'm sorry but I'm leaving, now."

"Do you keep them locked up in a safe or secure container? How many firearms do you own?"

"I'm very sorry, but this interview is terminated right now, and I will not be coming back."

"Well I'm very sorry if I offended you. We're just asking you these questions to determine risky behaviors and get an idea for [something, something, don't remember] So, you want to just go ahead and end this, right now? Can I at least examine you?"

At this point, I told her that if I was going to stand up for what I believed in, I had to leave, and that she had just lost a paying customer (or something like that). I remembered that she (or the aid) had also asked me if my child lived at home with me. My blood ran cold. All the hair stood up on the back of my neck. I was suddenly in the lion's den. I was staring evil and tyranny straight in the eyes, and it was a little, gray haired female doctor in Leonardtown.

The warning signs:

1. She kept asking questions even after I stated that I wished to terminate my relationship with the facility.
    2. She was evasive when persuaded to reveal her reasons for asking.
    3. THEY ASKED ME IF MY CHILD LIVED AT HOME WITH ME.:mad54:

MEDSTAR PHYSICIAN PARTNERS
    JAMES C. BOYD, MD
    MARIE TARLETON, CRNP
    DEBRA HUNT, PhD, ARNP-BC
    41680 MISS BESSIE DR
    SUITE 301
    LEONARDTOWN, MD, 20650
    (301) 997-0055

If you're currently a patient, SWITCH, and MAKE SURE and tell them WHY you're switching. If you're thinking about going there, DON'T. Or, you could just give them a call and tell them why they're never getting your business.

She may have breached ethics.. but in any case I would expect a visit from child protective services -- DR have a lot of credibility none of it deserved...

so be ready ---

do not show anger... tell them you do not do business with unethical physicians..

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Patients get asked some pretty personal questions routinely in healthcare. They get asked if they have sex with men, women, or both, if they use condoms, use illegal drugs, whether they have been to prison, how much money they make monthly, etc, etc. These questions are usually pertinent to health in some way. They are not meant to offend or judge. Patients are free to ask why these questions are being asked and free to decline to answer or to tell a lie. You are not under oath.

Bull.

Its at best for stats that will by definition be wrong.

Want to have some fun -- show up with an atty and tell the Dr that its all work product and thus privileged :)

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    WOW

I am in the process of looking for a new family doctor! I have found one close to home yet but will keep this incident in mind!

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    We configured our EMR so there is no spot for anything about firearms. We do have hobbies, but they are free-texted. If it is not in structured data, it is not searchable. We ask about smoking, drinking, drugs, occupation, marital status, children, hobbies, travel. No guns. No smoke detectors.

Sorry doc free text is searchable trust me-- not by you on the canned front -- end but absolutely the back end-- which is the point.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I would like to know the origin of the questionnaire. Is this driven by each doctor, the health group, insurance company or someone else?

If you answer as to the smoke detectors and firearms and other activities, what are the consequences? Visit from the health police? or the State Police or higher insurance premiums?

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    I'm not sure how your DR knowing you have a gun would help magically to make you responsible and unless he/she is trained in firearm handling not sure they could offer any meaningful advice.

Seems like a wasted question to me.... but that's just me.... I don't mind being asked about my guns.

If you do not think it will cause a Dr. to consider a referral for counseling you are nuts. One out burst and you need an anger management program..

It s for the children you know..

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I think the concern is that some people are irresponsible with their firearms and this can lead to injuries?

And? What's your point? Is that what you believe? That line of thinking is exactly what the liberals are doing and why they want to ban guns. I'm concerned that many people are irresponsible drivers which can lead to injuries. Maybe they should ask me if I run with scissors.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    I would like to know the origin of the questionnaire. Is this driven by each doctor, the health group, insurance company or someone else?

If you answer as to the smoke detectors and firearms and other activities, what are the consequences? Visit from the health police? or the State Police or higher insurance premiums?

Also, if a health care provider is aware of firearm ownership and at a later date deems the patient "at risk" is there a requirement for the provider to report firearm owner ship and to who?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Several years ago a doctor asked me if I owned a firearm.

I asked him if he owned a prescription pad and thought himself responsible enough to handle such a responsibility.

The conversation was over.

Outstanding.

Simple solution is to lie; but some of us don't find that so easy to do, especially with someone we are supposed to trust, to make things work right.

Plus, they are probably keeping some stats, and will likely ask your kids, etc.

WOW

I am in the process of looking for a new family doctor! I have found one close to home yet but will keep this incident in mind!

Same here. One former president lied and said "read my lips, no new taxes", another said he "did not have sexual relations with that woman", neither of these liars bothered me much. Last liar said "if you like your plan, you can keep it". We liked our doctor, and were ok with our plan; but received letters saying our rates went up, then our plan was canceled.

River Mud

Mar 19, 2013
    Had the same question a few weeks ago at our doctor's office. They're upgrading their files from paper to computer.

Sort of a trick question...'Do you have a gun in the house'? No, I have several.

I just answered no...none of their business.

I've envisioned this happening, and my goal is to provide several friendly "no's" in a row, even if they don't make sense.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    There's a saying that I think holds much wisdom;

'Never lie to your doctor or lawyer'

I would not lie to my doctor (healthcare provider); one is never under any obligation to answer ANY question. If you don't feel comfortable with a question, don't answer it. If the provider persists, then end the encounter and find a new provider. It's that simple. Many of the major medical organizations, especially Pediatrics, are looking at illness/injury data from the CDC and how intervention at the Doctor/Patient level can impact risky behaviors such smoking, driving without seatbelts or appropriate child restraint systems, guns in the home, etc. Yes, guns in the home has a statistical risk associated with it and not everyone who owns a gun is a responsible gun owner so the medical profession feels it needs to be addressed at least on some level. The same providers would be counseling you to stop smoking, wear seatbelts or ensure your child's appropriately secured in the car--that's what drives the questions. (That and maybe the fear of the first lawsuit for NOT counselling the adult to stop smoking, wear seatbelts, or that guns may be unsafe around children if not properly secured...)

Too many tin foil hats around here. There's really no big conspiracy.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    There's a saying that I think holds much wisdom;

'Never lie to your doctor or lawyer'

I would not lie to my doctor (healthcare provider); one is never under any obligation to answer ANY question. If you don't feel comfortable with a question, don't answer it. If the provider persists, then end the encounter and find a new provider. It's that simple. Many of the major medical organizations, especially Pediatrics, are looking at illness/injury data from the CDC and how intervention at the Doctor/Patient level can impact risky behaviors such smoking, driving without seatbelts or appropriate child restraint systems, guns in the home, etc. Yes, guns in the home has a statistical risk associated with it and not everyone who owns a gun is a responsible gun owner so the medical profession feels it needs to be addressed at least on some level. The same providers would be counseling you to stop smoking, wear seatbelts or ensure your child's appropriately secured in the car--that's what drives the questions. (That and maybe the fear of the first lawsuit for NOT counselling the adult to stop smoking, wear seatbelts, or that guns may be unsafe around children if not properly secured...)

Too many tin foil hats around here. There's really no big conspiracy.

I would never lie to my doctor about anything that actually relates to my health or has any bearing on the business I am conducting with him.

An invasive question such as gun ownership that has no bearing whatsoever on my health and is beyond the scope of what he needs to be concerned with? Absolutely lie. And do it convincingly. A refusal to answer the question is the same as an answer in the affirmative.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Me: "Doc, if you want to council me on being safe at home- can you recommend a place to get gas masks and a bullet proof vest?"
    Doctor: "uhm"
    Me: "if you smelled my wife's farts, you'd understand the gas mask, if she knew I told you about the farts, I'll need the vest."
    Doc: "I get this a lot.... there's this place on..."

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I feel absolutely no need to tell the truth if a Dr asks me an irrelevant question. If I go to a sports medicine guy, and he asks me about fire alarms, I will probably lie about that as well. Until a fire affects my ACL, he has no reason to know. I have even been known to put in the wrong SS# at dr's offices. By law you arent allowed to use it for identification of the patient, so I choose to employ some opsec and not release that number to them. I do the same thing with my birthday. Mainly they use your bday for ID but the SS# is more for tracking your butt down to pay your bills.

I am much more honest with my pcp but for sports medicine, or an eye doc that I will only visit once, I give them the bare minimum information to do the job.

I don't quite understand the need to answer a question honestly if the person asking has no right to know. That goes for police, doctors, wives.. :innocent0

ENT Shooter

Aug 21, 2011
    Towson Maryland
    It doesn't take much to see that there is an agenda here with regard to firearm ownership as it interfaces with medicine.
    My primary professional society, the American College of Surgeons recently put out a new improved firearm policy statement in Jan 2013 with the first of the five points being support for "Legislation banning civilian access to assault weapons, large ammunition clips, and munitions designed for military and law enforcement agencies."
    So they indeed support a ban- not just studies and endeavors for risk mitigation and firearm safety as the other points address. They already know what they want. I asked our Executive Pres to define such "weapons", "clips", and "munitions" that they deemed a need to ban (for mere civilians anyway), but received no clear answer just generalities. The "it's for the children and society" rhetoric is just camouflage and obfuscation. Our Society executives are scholars and thought leaders in Surgery, not just people off the street. They know what they are saying (even if they cant define it exactly) and they are saying it with clarity.
    I know it sounds all good and how could a caring physician be "for" these bad things that only hurt people and appear to them to have no useful purpose in society.
    So, in my opinion there actually appears to be a relative tinfoil deficiency at least in the medical practitioner population. These are the people tabulating and entering our health records into "the cloud" which may be used for a variety of good and bad purposes.
    The medical consumer had better take notice and develop a healthy skepticism about medicine in this area (before it becomes too late); a lie in this area may be the order of the day and yes, some small doses of tinfoil may be just the appropriate prescription.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    If she asked, "Do you have firearms in the home"
    You should have answered "what is your favorite position for sex?"..."because it sounds like we were talking about things that don't deal with my health"

And if she actually answers...she deserves the truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom