• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My specialty (orthopeadics) organization is hinting that part or the new "meaningful" use part of the electronic record is going to require us to ask. We are fighting that. The EMR systems have a spot.for firearms, smoke detectors, heroine, etc...As time goes on all EMRs will talk to each other. However the provider can limit what gets shared. I follow teratos' method. Just say no.

We configured our EMR so there is no spot for anything about firearms. We do have hobbies, but they are free-texted. If it is not in structured data, it is not searchable. We ask about smoking, drinking, drugs, occupation, marital status, children, hobbies, travel. No guns. No smoke detectors.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Understood but not sure how much my DR knows about firearms. Regardless I agree with the folks that say just don't answer the question if you don't want to answer.

To be honest if I got asked that I would answer the question and not think another thing of it. The state already knows about my guns because they all required a wait.....

Most docs know exactly squat.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    We configured our EMR so there is no spot for anything about firearms. We do have hobbies, but they are free-texted. If it is not in structured data, it is not searchable. We ask about smoking, drinking, drugs, occupation, marital status, children, hobbies, travel. No guns. No smoke detectors.

I'd rethink the smoke detector one. :innocent0

almiller1963

Oct 18, 2013
    Forest Hill, Md
    I think the concern is that some people are irresponsible with their firearms and this can lead to injuries?

I'm not sure how your DR knowing you have a gun would help magically to make you responsible and unless he/she is trained in firearm handling not sure they could offer any meaningful advice.

Seems like a wasted question to me.... but that's just me.... I don't mind being asked about my guns.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'm not sure how your DR knowing you have a gun would help magically to make you responsible and unless he/she is trained in firearm handling not sure they could offer any meaningful advice.

Seems like a wasted question to me.... but that's just me.... I don't mind being asked about my guns.

The AMA recommends keeping all firearms locked in a safe, or better yet removed from the home entirely. That's the "company line". I agree, it is a wasted question because the advice is meaningless.

DimaK

May 15, 2012

Some docs are "trained", some aren't. Don't assume too much, ask.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    they need to ask all the questions to help keep you from noticing that despite your 10am appt you won't be seen by an actual doctor until 11:30 at the earliest.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Copied directly from Obamacare... Pages 20-21...

PROTECTION OF SECOND AMENDMENT GUN RIGHTS.—As added by section 10101(e)(2)
    ‘‘(1) WELLNESS AND PREVENTION PROGRAMS.—A wellness and health promotion activity implemented under subsection (a)(1)(D) may not require the disclosure or collection of any in- formation relating to—
    ‘‘(A) the presence or storage of a lawfully-possessed firearm or ammunition in the residence or on the property of an individual; or
    ‘‘(B) the lawful use, possession, or storage of a firearm or ammunition by an individual.
    ‘‘(2) LIMITATION ON DATA COLLECTION.—None of the authorities provided to the Secretary under the Patient Protec- tion and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that Act shall be construed to authorize or may be used for the col- lection of any information relating to—
    ‘‘(A) the lawful ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition;
    ‘‘(B) the lawful use of a firearm or ammunition; or
    ‘‘(C) the lawful storage of a firearm or ammunition.
    '‘(3) LIMITATION ON DATABASES OR DATA BANKS.—None of the authorities provided to the Secretary under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that Act shall be construed to authorize or may be used to maintain records of individual ownership or possession of a
    firearm or ammunition.
    ‘‘(4) LIMITATION ON DETERMINATION OF PREMIUM RATES OR
    ELIGIBILITY FOR HEALTH INSURANCE.—A premium rate may not be increased, health insurance coverage may not be denied, and a discount, rebate, or reward offered for participation in a wellness program may not be reduced or withheld under any health benefit plan issued pursuant to or in accordance with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amend- ment made by that Act on the basis of, or on reliance upon—
    ‘‘(A) the lawful ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition; or
    ‘‘(B) the lawful use or storage of a firearm or ammuni- tion.
    ‘‘(5) LIMITATION ON DATA COLLECTION REQUIREMENTS FOR INDIVIDUALS.—No individual shall be required to disclose any information under any data collection activity authorized under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that Act relating to—
    ‘‘(A) the lawful ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition; or
    ‘‘(B) the lawful use, possession, or storage of a firearm or ammunition.

I plan to print this section out and have with me anytime I go to the doctors henceforth. Thank you NRA for having this added.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Are Doctors trained in the Electrical Code?

I'll discuss my smoke detectors with my family electrician, thank you.

If a doctor asks me about my well water, I'll just say, "Mind the sick, and leave the well alone."

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Part of me thinks it would be hilarious to answer these questions with the most random answers i could ever imagine. The looks on their face would be priceless.

"do you have any firearms in the house?"

"In fact, I have a S&W 642 stuck in my a$s,...which brings me to the reason for my visit today.."

ENT Shooter

Aug 21, 2011
    Towson Maryland
    Agree with Fish Guy on this. Its easier and less controversial to lie. Then simply do not do what they say do or return there.
    These "bed-wetters" and public policy meddlers posing as doctors don't deserve your truthful answers in such matters. They get more adamant when they detect someone is concerned about their privacy and rights. Its like kicking a hornets nest (may be fun and the right thing but it can cause you pain).
    That said, I understand the strong desire to stand by your convictions and suffer from the same indignation when confronted with something that simply is not right.

You are absolutely not required to tell the truth about anything. Its a doctors visit not a deposition for crying out loud. You are not under oath. You can decide when it is your best interest to be candid with your doctor and when it is not.

If you are allergic to a medication- important

Whether you have guns at home- you decide.

I can just about guarantee that one day real soon it will be a simple matter to connect the firearms box with any other box (at least within the same medical database- they already know what you own by your 77R but that is at least a different database). Then one day when Annapolis passes the next law banning (or tagging for further investigation) firearms ownership by individuals on "XYZ mood stabilizing drug, people who drink more that X amount, etc. etc.." there will be a knock on your door at an unusual hour for a look see. Don't make it any easier for them.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Why are some of you guys so insistent upon making a political statement to your Dr's office. Do you really think they care, at all? Answer "it is none of your business" or anything other then "no" means "yes". You are not under oath. There is no penalty for lying. So simply lie. "Do you own a firearm?" "No." It really is that simple folks. You can still come on here to rant about it. You can still change Drs if you want even if you lie and tell them no.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Preface: Not all the quoted text can be expected to be 100% accurate, and is merely an approximate representation of the conversation. Take it as such.

Not 30 minutes ago, I got home from a doctor appointment as a new patient. I was looking for a new family doctor, and it had taken me over 30 days to get seen by this new practice.

Most of the visit was regular stuff - height, weight, smoke: yes/no, drink: yes/no, medical history, that sort of thing, but then the doctor came in, she started asking me "safety" related questions, like, "Do you have a smoke detector in your home?'

"Well, why do you need to know that? Is there something in a smoke detector that pertains to my immediate health?"

"Well, we're just going to be asking you some safety related questions [or something like that] to see if you're being safe at home, like, do you own any firearms?"

I play dumb. "Why do you want to know about my firearms? Is this for some kind of survey? Who ordered you to ask these questions."

"Well, sir, we just want to know if you're being safe [something, something] at-risk behaviors."

"This interview is terminated. I'm sorry but I'm leaving, now."

"Do you keep them locked up in a safe or secure container? How many firearms do you own?"

"I'm very sorry, but this interview is terminated right now, and I will not be coming back."

"Well I'm very sorry if I offended you. We're just asking you these questions to determine risky behaviors and get an idea for [something, something, don't remember] So, you want to just go ahead and end this, right now? Can I at least examine you?"

At this point, I told her that if I was going to stand up for what I believed in, I had to leave, and that she had just lost a paying customer (or something like that). I remembered that she (or the aid) had also asked me if my child lived at home with me. My blood ran cold. All the hair stood up on the back of my neck. I was suddenly in the lion's den. I was staring evil and tyranny straight in the eyes, and it was a little, gray haired female doctor in Leonardtown.

The warning signs:

1. She kept asking questions even after I stated that I wished to terminate my relationship with the facility.
    2. She was evasive when persuaded to reveal her reasons for asking.
    3. THEY ASKED ME IF MY CHILD LIVED AT HOME WITH ME.:mad54:

MEDSTAR PHYSICIAN PARTNERS
    JAMES C. BOYD, MD
    MARIE TARLETON, CRNP
    DEBRA HUNT, PhD, ARNP-BC
    41680 MISS BESSIE DR
    SUITE 301
    LEONARDTOWN, MD, 20650
    (301) 997-0055

If you're currently a patient, SWITCH, and MAKE SURE and tell them WHY you're switching. If you're thinking about going there, DON'T. Or, you could just give them a call and tell them why they're never getting your business.

Well handled.
    :thumbsup:

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    My doc asked around a year ago. Pretty sure it's a Medstar/EMR thing. He was cool about it. He said I am about to ask you a question you might not want to answer. I didn't. No big deal.

If he asks again, I will inform it is a violation of the ACA to ask that question.

It's the insurance companies that want to know. The docs could give a hoot.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom