• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    All of the handguns that I own and shoot are steel or alloy frames. However, I shot a friends XDm and I liked it. I guess that means I don't have a preference. I like older, historic firearms that's the only reason why I have all steel/alloyframed pistols.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I appreciate handguns from all eras. But for something I will carry daily or if I had to own only ONE pistol (and at that point it will become a defense gun ONLY, no safe queen stuff) I would pick one with a polymer frame, preferably GLOCK or H&K.

Polymer is very light weight, and does not corrode when exposed to water/salt/sweat and all but the harshest chemicals. The only weakness of quality polymer is heat. Polymer can flex in ways metal cannot, therefore drop/crush damage is not as big of an issue. Drop your 1911 down a flight of stairs and see if you can get a magazine in and out of it smoothly, or make sure the dust cover didn't bend and bind the slide... Also you don't have a fragile finish that when scratch reduces or eliminates protection from corrosion/rust.

I love steel and a few aluminum pistols, and love me some old steel revolvers. But materials science has elevated today's combat pistol to new heights in terms of weight, ease of maintenance and long-term reliability.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I thought that post would stir the debate! LOL. Cool video! Provides good and substantial reason for natural selection. Note that he had to actually pull the trigger himself in order to shoot himself. Wonder if he already had the thumb safety disengaged. A number of agencys have gone with extremely heavy triggers in the striker fired pistols to reduce the chance of AD. DAO revolvers have fairly heavy triggers. Yes, some mfg's have external safety's on their versions of striker fired pistols. Many of the striker fired pistols have a trigger pull that is similar in weight to the older designs such as the 1911 or have been modified to lighten pull weight which makes it easier to have incidents such as the "worn holster discharge". An external safety separate from the trigger, if used, could and would reduce or eliminate this type of AD. There will probably never be a cure for shooting your own self, for failure to properly train and employ your firearm, as demonstrated in the video. Each is free to choose the type of firearm they prefer. I have owned all types, I just prefer old school.
    And you didn't shoot yourself.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    strong preference for metal. So far though I haven't had the opportunity for daily carry. My current carry gun is a Kahr MK9 which I love. But it is heavy for it's size. If I was less of a hobbyist and needed a pure daily carry tool I think it would be foolish to discount polymer.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Here in NC, I carry frequently. The fact being, I only have one handgun at the moment, so my choices for carry are obviously limited.

Unloaded, my 5" S&W Model 27 weighs in at a hefty 42 ounces. That is 2.6 pounds. That said, with a sturdy belt and a decent holster, it sits in place firmly and does not move unless I want it to. There is no doubt that it's there.

I'm not against polymer from the techincal or logical standpoints. I just prefer the look and feel of steel.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    I carry daily here in Maryland both on and off duty. I'm old enough to have carried a variety of handguns both professionally and for personal protection. After having carried S&W Mod 64s, Colt 1911s and Beretta 92Fs you learn to appreciate a light weight handgun. Currently I carry an M&P .40 at work and an M&P .45c concealed. I own other handguns but over time have evolved to carrying only these two for comfort. The only other option is my Keltec P3AT for when I wear dress clothes in summer.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I thought that post would stir the debate! LOL. Cool video! Provides good and substantial reason for natural selection. Note that he had to actually pull the trigger himself in order to shoot himself. Wonder if he already had the thumb safety disengaged. A number of agencys have gone with extremely heavy triggers in the striker fired pistols to reduce the chance of AD. DAO revolvers have fairly heavy triggers. Yes, some mfg's have external safety's on their versions of striker fired pistols. Many of the striker fired pistols have a trigger pull that is similar in weight to the older designs such as the 1911 or have been modified to lighten pull weight which makes it easier to have incidents such as the "worn holster discharge". An external safety separate from the trigger, if used, could and would reduce or eliminate this type of AD. There will probably never be a cure for shooting your own self, for failure to properly train and employ your firearm, as demonstrated in the video. Each is free to choose the type of firearm they prefer. I have owned all types, I just prefer old school.

A GLOCK or similar short reset DA striker pistol is very simple and safe, it will not fire unless the trigger is pulled completely to the rear. It can be dangerous for some without the training, knowledge or a useable holster because the pistol WILL fire if the trigger is pulled to the rear. Manual safeties IMO tend to be a crutch, they have a habit of engaging or disengaging when a pistol is carried, unless you have a giant enclosed military style holster, or it is so stiff or small that it is tough to sweep off. The "worn holster" discharge won't happen if you have basic firearm knowledge, good equipment and check it often. Heavy triggers won't make a dangerous gun safe, or make an idiot responsible despite what some departments think, mostly they just ruin accuracy for people with poor trigger control, and slow down the rest.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    Steel or plastic? Don't care.

My collection is half and half and I have an affinity for every one of them.

Of course I responded on page three where I see the conversation has devolved once again in whether or not Glocks are safe... :rolleyes:

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Why choose? :innocent0

Attachments

• DSC_0070.jpg
      DSC_0070.jpg
      85.2 KB · Views: 94

Drnknmnky13

Nov 12, 2011
    Baltimore
    Sgt Preston here...

To me it depends on what you are going to do with it...

For example, If I were a LEO & carried it on my hip all day..

with a heavy double stack mag...

I'd like the lighter weight of plastic...

However if it will be a range gun only...

I like a full sized Stainless Steel gun...

If I wanted to carry a small handgun for personal protection...

I'd want a S&W Shield, that is a single stack, 9mm & Tupperware...

All of the current complement of high end plastic guns...

that is Glock, Sig, H&K, S&W will do the job & are OK in my book...

Agreed. I like the feel of steel when just shooting at the range for fun. Polymer for anything else. I'm still a newb in the world and my accuracy issues are due to me.. not the composition of the firearm. :)

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Depends on what the gun is for.
    For most uses I prefer metal. The weight balances better and makes the recoil softer.

Polymer has its uses though. If you're carrying concealed, a lighter weight polymer gun will be more comfortable.

Same.

For competition or just fun shooting, I prefer steel frame guns (specifically, 1911's/2011's); they're more balanced to me. For CCW, I have a Kahr .45ACP or an LCP, both of which are tupperware.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    My vote is also for steel and wood. I think it looks better and has a more reassuring heft to it. (I also do not CCW, so weight is less of an issue). It is sort of the same for me as spatulas; I look at those newer silicone ones and know intellectually that they won’t burn, but emotionally I see them as just plastic and reach for my wood-handled steel spatula.

Drop your 1911 down a flight of stairs and see if you can get a magazine in and out of it smoothly, or make sure the dust cover didn't bend and bind the slide... Also you don't have a fragile finish that when scratch reduces or eliminates protection from corrosion/rust.

Ah, that set me cringing. :shocking: I cannot imagine dropping my 1911 down a flight of stairs. Even if it was recovered functionally fine and of good appearance, it would be a long time before I forgave myself afterwards.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    My plastic fantastics can get stuff done in a monsoon mudslide hurricane avalanche with zero complaints. Youtube says they function reliably underwater. That should be creditable for something. Meh.

Yet realistically the question is what am I bringing to the range for the joy of shooting is entirely steel.

Shamefully I do like my Tupperware Glock, but that thing has been heavily worked over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom