• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    I checked the search and didn't find this subject.

So do you prefer steel or poly framed pistols and why?
    Does the frame material have a huge influence in what you buy? Or do you have a combination of both?

I'll chime in if this thread starts to get a few replies.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I have two plastic guns. The first was a SA XD and the second is a S&W M&P. I have a bunch of metal framed handguns that are both older and newer than the plastic pair.

I buy what I want, when I want. I think my next handgun will be a Ruger Blackhawk and since those aren't made with plastic frames, it will be metal.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Depends on what the gun is for.
    For most uses I prefer metal. The weight balances better and makes the recoil softer.

Polymer has its uses though. If you're carrying concealed, a lighter weight polymer gun will be more comfortable.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    It depends on what its intended use is and how the individual can handle it. I don't have a preference as I own several of each. My HKs work well for being "plastic" and I have no worries wondering if they can handle any abuse. My SIGs, Colt, and Kimber are obviously very solid and handle recoil well for follow up shots due to the added weight. It's all personal preference but as long as it shoots reliably and accurately, I don't care.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Can't say I prefer either to be honest.

Only 2 of my handguns are polymer-framed, all the others are steel framed. The polymer-framed ones (HK USP & SW M&P) tend to be shot/carried more than the steel-framed though.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    don't care as long as it works. I'd take a plastic hk over a steel jennings. I'd also take a steel cz75 over a plastic taurus. However, my defensive guns are all plastic. They tend to be easier to produce at a high quality for cheap, lighter, and often have better grip designs. If you were going to do removeable backstraps or extensive grip texturing on a steel gun, it would take lots of labor time and be expensive...you just change the mold for plastic guns.

there's no real need for anything plastic on a plastic gun to be metal. anything important like the locking blocks, slide, fire control group, rails and of course the barrel are all steel....the grip really doesnt need to be steel. Having the majority of the gun made from plastic gives you less surface area for you to worry about possibly corroding.

I dunno, I guess i'm more pragmatic than sentimental. My guns are tools. While i respect the artistic aesthetics of a nice blued gun with cherry wood grips, I'm not getting the gun to hang on a wall and look at....i'm getting it to use. It's like an old 70s mustang compared to the new one everyone's bitching about. I'd prefer the new one. Independent rear suspension breaks from tradition, but means it'll handle better...so i want it.

Just to go back to the beginning and confuse myself further...here are two guns that I currently have a boner for...

hg_smith-wesson-e-series_a[1].jpg

HK45_Barrel_Kit_Threaded_B[1].jpg

One's metal, ones plastic, but they both run like greased lightning and are sexy to me like billie piper(i dunno why, i just want to play doctor with her).

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My semi-autos are all Glocks, my revolvers are all steel. I've bought what I liked, and that's what I've come away with. I really like the CZ-75 and the BHP, but they just never seem to excite me enough to buy.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

To me it depends on what you are going to do with it...

For example, If I were a LEO & carried it on my hip all day..

with a heavy double stack mag...

I'd like the lighter weight of plastic...

However if it will be a range gun only...

I like a full sized Stainless Steel gun...

If I wanted to carry a small handgun for personal protection...

I'd want a S&W Shield, that is a single stack, 9mm & Tupperware...

All of the current complement of high end plastic guns...

that is Glock, Sig, H&K, S&W will do the job & are OK in my book...

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Just to go back to the beginning and confuse myself further...here are two guns that I currently have a boner for...

View attachment 61428

View attachment 61429

One's metal, ones plastic, but they both run like greased lightning and are sexy to me like billie piper(i dunno why, i just want to play doctor with her).

What model is the S&W 1911 ? I think that's the one I've been drooling over for years. :drool:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Steel for me, please. I do own two plastic pistols, one is my pocket carry 9mm and the other is a Glock that's in my GHB. My other seven handguns are steel. I like steel, I shoot better with it versus plastic.

Last edited:

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Steel, Alloy or Plastic...it doesn't matter to me. You don't own one hammer or play golf with one club.

Now, I won't own a 1911 with a poly frame. That is just wrong on all levels to a JMB Society member.

I do own Glocks and they are one greatest pistols designed for living and fighting in a muddy foxhole. A GI 1911 is the only substitute.

If you look at pistols that changed the course of pistol design, they are without a doubt the 1911, BHP, S&W 39(Which was really a HP SA/DA captured WW2 design) and the Glock. Every pistol has incorporated some design feature originated on one of these pistols.

The only really innovative pistol design of recent history was the Grand Power of Slovakia's K100 pistol sold here as STI's GP6. Except for the pistol's barrel with a rotational lock up system and tortured tested to 110,000 rounds with no change to barrel or gun geometry, the K100 still looks like a Glock and BHP spent a weekend together and reproduced.

PS....Sorry Random and CZ75 fans but they both draw from the 1911 and BHP so don't get your panties in bunch over my. 02

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Plastic. I don't feel like extra weight lessens my percieved recoil. Split times are actually faster out of my plastic guns. I also think driving the plastic guns is quicker. They are easier to get moving, and get stopped.

When I just want to sit at the 50 yard line and leisurely smack bowling pins, then I grab my 1911.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom