• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Sounds like and offensive move, not defensive...I'm not going in that house!

I will go in the house if any of my loved ones were there. But as a general rule, no you do not go back into the house. Just like they tell you if a dwelling is on fire. As tough as it is, you're setting yourself up for almost sure doom.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I will go in the house if any of my loved ones were there. But as a general rule, no you do not go back into the house. Just like they tell you if a dwelling is on fire. As tough as it is, you're setting yourself up for almost sure doom.

Of course if there's loved ones in there it's a game changer. Still, I'm just a "game" gunner and real life tactical is not for me...(maybe in my movie choice).

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    One of the groups I trained with several times was CMCT (IP on Forum) they taught us tactical reloads as an addition tool to use if needed. It came in handy when we were shooting on the run at targets then stopped to enter a shoot house, it made sense to do one as you now going fully loaded. In real life for the civilian 90% of the time nope. But if one had just had a shoot out and there is a secondary threat, one might want to do one under cover for the second fight. As silly as many of the "Tactical" moves may be they might just come into play someday. There are some many schools of thought what to do and what not to do, you just have to pick what works for you. Chris

I also remember being taught a tactical reload. but I only recall it on the carbine. I agree with the author of the article that the tactical reload will probably not be needed by the average person. but there are some people who take classes for their job. the class I was in had 2 guys that were security guards next to me. I could see where it is someone's job to chase a subject and wanting to reload a full mag.

imo the instructors are there to teach me as much as they can. I hope I may never have to use these skills in real life. but I rather have been taught them and not use them then be helpless

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Doing one "Under cover if there's a secondary threat" would mean you are taking your eyes off of that threat and lose any advantage you have. Especially if you are solo. But I know, a person can do it without looking at their weapon. :thumbsup:

CMCT that was mentioned by the other poster, was pretty emphatic about doing the tac reload up in front of your face, with your eyes looking through the trigger guard in the direction of the threat while manipulating the weapon. Tommy, is SWAT and seems knowledgeable, though I can't say how many gun fights he has actually been in.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    CMCT that was mentioned by the other poster, was pretty emphatic about doing the tac reload up in front of your face, with your eyes looking through the trigger guard in the direction of the threat while manipulating the weapon. Tommy, is SWAT and seems knowledgeable, though I can't say how many gun fights he has actually been in.

It's not a tactical reload or emergency reload. It's a magazine exchange.
    It's as simple as this. You get behind a car and I'll get behind another car 15 yards away. We are shooting at each other, then I stop. Now you have your "lull" in action to do your exchange. Then I start firing just when you have two stupid magazines in 1 hand.

Who is now in "admin" mode while I'm throwing rounds your way again? SWAT teams are MORE THAN 1 person with a gun. You could tie your shoe in a gunfight of you want, because your covered.
    My expertise is 1 & 2 person fighting, and a mag exchange has no place in a gunfight.

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    From what i recall, that was not the type of scenario they discussed doing that sort of reload in. Not while still engaged with an imminent threat.

It was more like topping off after breaking from one threat and before you were likely to encounter the next.

At least that is what I remember.

Sent from my note 4 using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    From what i recall, that was not the type of scenario they discussed doing that sort of reload in. Not while still engaged with an imminent threat.

It was more like typing off after breaking from one threat and before you were likely to encounter the next.

At least that is what I remember.

Sent from my note 4 using Tapatalk.

Exactly. None of us will never experience that scenario. This is what the whole thread and article is all about. Joe ccw heading out to get groceries one afternoon will not get into a long, drawn out firefight with multiple bad guys that has a lull in the fighting and going after others.

MY225

Victoria Vel Servitus
    Jan 8, 2010
    Anyone else been in gunfights? All I can say is, they all have things in common and all completely different.

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    Exactly. None of us will never experience that scenario. This is what the whole thread and article is all about. Joe ccw heading out to get groceries one afternoon will not get into a long, drawn out firefight with multiple bad guys that has a lull in the fighting and going after others.

I think you could say that about a whole lot of what is covered in training. Not all the reasons for attending training and not all the training given are based entirely on practicality. Reasons range from: because it's likely and practical, to you-never-know, to because its interesting, to I just like to feel cool by trying this stuff. I sincerely doubt any of us will have occasion to shoot threats with a carbine from a moving vehicle - but that training is out there if someone wants it. I don't see the harm in learning if one is interested, but that doesn't make it practical either.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

I don't know about going after others, but if I were down in Richmond and something like the riots in Baltimore happened there, I'm not going to want to get in my truck and leave with 1 or 2 rounds left in the current magazine, I would want a fresh one in case I run into something else. Also, I don't want to leave ammo and mag for someone else to pick up. Just throwing that out there.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Well since we live in MD and most of us will not be in rolling gunfights outside our house the tac reload is moot. If I have to use my gun in my house I know where the empty mags will be. :D

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I don't know about going after others, but if I were down in Richmond and something like the riots in Baltimore happened there, I'm not going to want to get in my truck and leave with 1 or 2 rounds left in the current magazine, I would want a fresh one in case I run into something else. Also, I don't want to leave ammo and mag for someone else to pick up. Just throwing that out there.

Well, this is a totally different scenario than doing a magazine exchange during a "lull" (if there is ever such a thing. I will never have a "lull') after you were exchanging rounds with bad guys. Do an emergency reload when you are in the truck. What you are saying is that you would take a pause somewhere, exchange magazines (save your 1 or 2 rounds) then continue to get in your truck??

So you are running for your life after/during a gunfight you are worrying about 1 or 2 rounds in a magazine that you would leave behind for someone to get?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Well, this is a totally different scenario than doing a magazine exchange during a "lull" (if there is ever such a thing. I will never have a "lull') after you were exchanging rounds with bad guys. Do an emergency reload when you are in the truck. What you are saying is that you would take a pause somewhere, exchange magazines (save your 1 or 2 rounds) then continue to get in your truck??

So you are running for your life after/during a gunfight you are worrying about 1 or 2 rounds in a magazine that you would leave behind for someone to get?

Those extra rounds may come in handy later. Same with the mags. In an urban riot, do you really want to be down two rounds if you didn't have to be?

MY225

Victoria Vel Servitus
    Jan 8, 2010
    Having "tactically reloaded" in the past and I'm sure I will again in the future. A number of reason come to mind as to when and how this happens.
    Moving from one position to another.
    Moving in to a shared position with another gunfighter.
    I'm a non-round count person.
    Not know how many rounds I just shot.
    Lull's happen in gunfights of any length. People get tired, re-group or just stop and try and get their shit together.

I also have found I place most of my magazines in the dump pouch or the front of my shirt/BDU. I also found I use the magazines as needed when in a position supported by or supporting other gun fighters.

What does this mean? Not much but the gunfight drives the tactics needed in that gunfight.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Having "tactically reloaded" in the past and I'm sure I will again in the future. A number of reason come to mind as to when and how this happens.
    Moving from one position to another.
    Moving in to a shared position with another gunfighter.
    I'm a non-round count person.
    Not know how many rounds I just shot.
    Lull's happen in gunfights of any length. People get tired, re-group or just stop and try and get their shit together.

I also have found I place most of my magazines in the dump pouch or the front of my shirt/BDU. I also found I use the magazines as needed when in a position supported by or supporting other gun fighters.

What does this mean? Not much but the gunfight drives the tactics needed in that gunfight.

Sure, with teams in combat. Like I said earlier, with a team you can tie your shoe if you want. There are plenty others to cover you.

This is not "re grouping to assault another objective". :/

I find it hard to believe people have actually trained and practiced this one handed ritual during any training class.

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    With respect to IDPA only - the tactical reload, or reload with retention, does not have to be done one handed, you just have to keep the partially spent mag on your person when complete.

This has no bearing on the practicality of the maneuver - just clarifying for those that may not participate.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    It's not a tactical reload or emergency reload. It's a magazine exchange.
    It's as simple as this. You get behind a car and I'll get behind another car 15 yards away. We are shooting at each other, then I stop. Now you have your "lull" in action to do your exchange. Then I start firing just when you have two stupid magazines in 1 hand.

Who is now in "admin" mode while I'm throwing rounds your way again? SWAT teams are MORE THAN 1 person with a gun. You could tie your shoe in a gunfight of you want, because your covered.
    My expertise is 1 & 2 person fighting, and a mag exchange has no place in a gunfight.
    In that I totally agree. I think the technique I learned to do for IDPA is useful, because I can do about a 2 second exchange, but darned if I can think of a real life situation where I would even consider using it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom