Do You Clean your Rifle After Every Shooting Session?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do You Clean your Rifle After Every Shooting Session?

• Yes always.

Votes: 17 19.1%
    • No, I clean my rifle periodically but not after every shooting session.

Votes: 56 62.9%
    • Yes that's my intent but sometimes I don't get to it until later.

Votes: 16 18.0%

• Total voters

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    I clean them after every range day, i like to know my guns will function the next time I use them, if they are just used for hunting or varmint they get cleaned once a year with a good check on the parts, I just had to replace the mag spring to an older Henry lever gun I have not that long ago because there was no tension to feed the next round.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I clean them after every range day, i like to know my guns will function the next time I use them, if they are just used for hunting or varmint they get cleaned once a year with a good check on the parts, I just had to replace the mag spring to an older Henry lever gun I have not that long ago because there was no tension to feed the next round.
    I view in completely the opposite way; when I finished shooting, it worked perfectly. Then, I took it home and did a buncha cleaning and crap to it, and it didn't shoot like it did, the last time I used it.

BigMac

Oct 15, 2023
    Baltimore
    I try to clean mine after every use. I find it enjoyable and don't always know how long I'm putting them away for. One day when I'm able to shoot more often I think I would clean them less frequently.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Went to the range yesterday. Cleaned the 15-22 last night, easy. Cleaned the CZ-75 last night, easy. Cleaned the M28/30 last night. Wow, never thought I'd get all the crud out of the bore, lol.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    In days past I did clean after every session, to near spotless as if it had to pass the army armorers inspection. It was a chore so I shot less to avoid it. Then I started running a pad through the bore and wiping it down. This was pretty quick, and I sometimes still do it this way. But over time I started to realize it didn't seem to matter too much for reliability or accuracy, so long as the firearm wasn't massively dirty. So a quick wipe after each session and periodic cleaning days a few times a year seems to work fine. I can enjoy cleaning then as I do it on my schedule and it no longer feels like a chore and I feel fine shooting whenever without having to dread the cleaning process.

Plus, my wife hates the smell of solvent. I can't clean when she is home anyhow.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    I'm a little weird ( Gosh, whodathunk ! ). I do clean after each session. I actually ENJOY cleaning AND I love the smell of Hoppe's which I occasionally use as an after shave lotion. :)

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    In days past I did clean after every session, to near spotless as if it had to pass the army armorers inspection. It was a chore so I shot less to avoid it. Then I started running a pad through the bore and wiping it down. This was pretty quick, and I sometimes still do it this way. But over time I started to realize it didn't seem to matter too much for reliability or accuracy, so long as the firearm wasn't massively dirty. So a quick wipe after each session and periodic cleaning days a few times a year seems to work fine. I can enjoy cleaning then as I do it on my schedule and it no longer feels like a chore and I feel fine shooting whenever without having to dread the cleaning process.

Plus, my wife hates the smell of solvent. I can't clean when she is home anyhow.
    You might try the new generation of ammonia free water-based solvents!
    Most are virtually odor free & work well, better nowadays than some of the old classic ones!
    I'm using the M-Pro range, both the bore cleaner & the copper remover. I swab & then patch out with bore cleaner & just a few passes with a brush, then swab with the copper remover which I leave in the bore overnight with the rifles muzzle lower than the action.
    The next day I swab & patch out till I get a clean patch then oil & I'm done.
    http://m-pro7.com/products/

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    ...which I leave in the bore overnight with the rifles muzzle lower than the action.
    The next day I swab & patch out till I get a clean patch then oil & I'm done.
    http://m-pro7.com/products/
    Oh no. There is no way I can do a two day cleaning, no matter how simple the day two swab is. I don't care how good my intentions are... Life will find a way (to get in the way).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Totally depends.

I really don't clean my guns much. I do lube them reasonably frequently. The only guns that I really clean on a regular basis:
    1. Rimfire pistols and rifles. I run competition-rigged 10/22s and the marginal cycling power plus need for 100% reliability = they're getting frequent scrubs
    2. MPX (especially the gas system)

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    I used to clean each firearm after shooting as I was trained. Then I went shooting with my uncle (Vietnam combat vet and big time hunter) who said WTF; it works, don't f with it!

That got me to loosen up and not obsess over cleaning; outside of BP.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I enjoy taking them apart and cleaning, so I do it every time I shoot one. The only exception is with a shotgun if I only shot a few shells, the weather is dry and I'm hunting again the next day, I'll wait until the end of the trip. Once a year -- generally in February or March when I switch my truck set ups from hunting to fishing & dog training -- I take a Saturday or Sunday and clean them all, along with putting away all of my hunting gear. I suppose that day is part of my mourning process when hunting season ends. It also gives me peace of mind to know that everything in the safe is completely dry, lightly oiled and ready to go! I don't go crazy with bore brushes and stuff -- just some patches or a snake with Ballistol followed by a wipe down.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I enjoy taking them apart and cleaning, so I do it every time I shoot one. The only exception is with a shotgun if I only shot a few shells, the weather is dry and I'm hunting again the next day, I'll wait until the end of the trip. Once a year -- generally in February or March when I switch my truck set ups from hunting to fishing & dog training -- I take a Saturday or Sunday and clean them all, along with putting away all of my hunting gear. I suppose that day is part of my mourning process when hunting season ends. It also gives me peace of mind to know that everything in the safe is completely dry, lightly oiled and ready to go! I don't go crazy with bore brushes and stuff -- just some patches or a snake with Ballistol followed by a wipe down.
    No turkey season for you Derwood? That marks the end of my hunting season.

No.4buck

Jul 11, 2019
    Capital Region
    I usually always do, usually at least. I do not get a particular joy from cleaning my firearms and therefore it is more of a chore for me.

I feel like cleaning after, but don't really want to. Therefore a factor that comes up is ease of cleaning and really my familiarity with dissassembly.

My ar's I will clean because they are very easy for me to take apart. Same goes for most semi auto handguns, revolvers, and shotguns.

I recently shot my winchester 92, which I have much less familiarity with diassembly, and also I believe it is objectively more difficult to. Therefore I just ran an oil patch through the bore for now...

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I really like hunting turkeys, but unless I get an opportunity on a private property where I know exactly where I'll be sitting, I have decided I just can't do it. I've gotten into too much poison ivy over the past few seasons walking in the dark and I pay for it for weeks/months afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom