Do You Clean your Rifle After Every Shooting Session?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do You Clean your Rifle After Every Shooting Session?

• Yes always.

Votes: 17 19.1%
    • No, I clean my rifle periodically but not after every shooting session.

Votes: 56 62.9%
    • Yes that's my intent but sometimes I don't get to it until later.

Votes: 16 18.0%

• Total voters

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Some folks don't think it's necessary. Others equate not cleaning your rifle with taking a dump and not washing your hands (or worse) afterwards. And there are those (like me) that want to but don't always get to it immediately. What do you guys think?

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I clean anything I shot loaded with blackpowder or corrosive ammo, ASAP. Sometimes I even do it at the range.

Everything else gets cleaned every once in a while. As long as it’s functional I just give it light cleaning.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I clean after every shooting session. I get you need a fouling shot before going hunting...but I'm not a hunter and I take pride in keeping my guns clean just like my cars. I'm careful to use quality products and don't overdo it which can be harmful. Pride in ownership.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Some folks don't think it's necessary. Others equate not cleaning your rifle with taking a dump and not washing your hands (or worse) afterwards. And there are those (like me) that want to but don't always get to it immediately. What do you guys think?

You just proved that your firearm works and works well. Why would you disassemble it and clean it and then put it back together hopefully correctly.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    You just proved that your firearm works and works well. Why would you disassemble it and clean it and then put it back together hopefully correctly.

I used to have a Kimber Solo Carry 9mm that could easily be reassembled incorrectly which would turn it into a single shot. Kimber didn't tell you that in the paperwork...when I asked them about why they sent me a sheet with correct instructions.

I sold the pistol...don't want one that has such a design flaw.

FZRracer400!

Nov 8, 2022
    RIP MD.
    If it’s a rare shooter, like the 303 then yes after each outing, since it’s a rare occasion. The ones I shoot very frequently, especially now with my own backyard range, nope. My own little trials and tribulations for the frequent shooters in particular. My pistols get it roughly every 1k rounds +/-

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Since carbon is hydrophilic, (water loving), yes, along with a light coat of oil to prevent rust. I just ordered the Otis paracord Boresnakes since they don''t have the embedded brass brush that I try to avoid. I will use a nylon brush though for tougher stuff. My favorite tool is the Ramrodz whch are q-tips w/ a wooden shaft. They offer a union that can be screwed into any cleaning rod. You can also chuck them on a drill and go to town w/o any risk of scratching the barrel etc. YMMV

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Carry piece...usually. Other stuff...periodically.

Every once in awhile, a few times a year, I'll just bring all the boom sticks out and give them some love. Some I hadn't even shot, but I still like to at least wipe them down. Anything I had fired gets a good cleaning. I'm not a super heavy shooter now-a-days, though. Probably 4-500 rounds a month through different guns. The world is crazy and I can't afford to replace my stash fast enough (or really have the time to get a range) to shoot more than that.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Yes, Yes I do.
    I have so many guns it may be 3-4 years before I shoot some of them again.
    Especially when I'm shooting a lot.
    Many of them are the same type/design etc and are near impossible to adequately replace these days.
    Even some of this modern stuff I hunt with Ill clean after I'm done.
    I use that sort of thing to take trophy game animals when I'm lucky and to kill stuff when I want to for people that want meat.
    So I dont fuc about much with low order details and weapons management criteria out here in bumpkin land.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Is something in the air today ? The empty chamber thread , now the clean the rifle everything thread again ?

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    It depends on how dirty the guns get. Running suppressed subs gets my ap5 absolutely filthy that I opt to run it wet full of lube so I do a field strip and full wipe down, and re-oil after each use. My AR on the other hand, seldom gets cleaned until I feel like things are getting "dry" or sludgy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom