• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Pilotguy, Esq. certainly didnt make it sound like a joke.

facepalm_4.jpg

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

There was no joke about it. Politguy and the O.P. were discussing methods to take action against the FFL making a photocopy of a MD issued I.D.. Whats your problem with Engage? Engage has every right to get concerned over some jackwad trying to bring some B.S. to his doorstep.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Basspro used to copy licenses....then we kept getting dinged for small differences between the address on the photocopied license and the 4473. We're now on a computerized 4473 system where legibility isnt an issue, so we dont keep a photo of the license to incriminate ourselves for a customer putting down the wrong address on the form.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    There was no joke about it. Politguy and the O.P. were discussing methods to take action against the FFL making a photocopy of a MD issued I.D.. Whats your problem with Engage? Engage has every right to get concerned over some jackwad trying to bring some B.S. to his doorstep.

The facepalm was directed at Pilotguy. I think Andy knows that I got his back.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    Clandestine
    Don't sweat it. Some people think they know something because they googled it. There's never a shortage of retards on the internet. These legal eagles oddly never try their internet bravado in a shop. Yeah they bought a gun and they are gonna take it.

Last guy who tried that at scoffs pisses his pants when we responded to his awesomeness

Don't get hysterical. An apologist for the businesses that want to copy DL's said it would help someone get his weapon if the MSP had a "mix-up". I said I'd get my gun anyway, because it is mine, and, it goes without saying, there is no legal reason to keep me from buying a gun. I guess you're used to just meekly submitting to any indignity at all; you gladly jump through any hoops, even those not legally mandated, and you revel in the feeling of being dominated. If the MSP says you can't have your gun because they had a "mix-up" you just bow and scrape and touch your forelock and shuffle off on your way. I don't mind you having that attitude, as long as you don't think I need to share it.

There's no legal reason to copy a man's DL. That issue is in no doubt here at all If a gun store wants to do it to CYA, they should have the common courtesy to tell a customer it isn't part of MD's stupid laws, just something to cover their asses. Then the customer has a choice of going along with it or going to a regular FFL. There's no possible way a reasonable person could disagree with that statement.

If someone asked me nicely to copy my FFL because the ATF/MSP are dickheads, maybe I'd go along, maybe not, either way I'd be very polite about it. Getting tricked like that when I'm filling out paperwork, looking over a gun and thinking about it instead of paying attention to what the clerk is doing with my license just ticks me off.

I've seen quite a few excuses and justifications for FFL's to overreach their authority and add their own rules to the onerous laws this gutless state has already allowed itself to be saddled with. Pilotguy, unlike many of the "blowhards, know-it-alls" and people with submissive tendencies has cited actual laws and demonstrated a knowledge of the subject. Here everyone is chiming in about how an extra made up law, copying DL's, is so grand, and then you get angry when someone posts an actual law? Doesn't make sense.

Thanks Pilotguy and Inigoes for the information about this Commissioner, I have never heard of that before.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Clandestine

Don't get hysterical. An apologist for the businesses that want to copy DL's said it would help someone get his weapon if the MSP had a "mix-up". I said I'd get my gun anyway, because it is mine, and, it goes without saying, there is no legal reason to keep me from buying a gun. I guess you're used to just meekly submitting to any indignity at all; you gladly jump through any hoops, even those not legally mandated, and you revel in the feeling of being dominated. If the MSP says you can't have your gun because they had a "mix-up" you just bow and scrape and touch your forelock and shuffle off on your way. I don't mind you having that attitude, as long as you don't think I need to share it.

There's no legal reason to copy a man's DL. That issue is in no doubt here at all If a gun store wants to do it to CYA, they should have the common courtesy to tell a customer it isn't part of MD's stupid laws, just something to cover their asses. Then the customer has a choice of going along with it or going to a regular FFL. There's no possible way a reasonable person could disagree with that statement.

If someone asked me nicely to copy my FFL because the ATF/MSP are dickheads, maybe I'd go along, maybe not, either way I'd be very polite about it. Getting tricked like that when I'm filling out paperwork, looking over a gun and thinking about it instead of paying attention to what the clerk is doing with my license just ticks me off.

I've seen quite a few excuses and justifications for FFL's to overreach their authority and add their own rules to the onerous laws this gutless state has already allowed itself to be saddled with. Pilotguy, unlike many of the "blowhards, know-it-alls" and people with submissive tendencies has cited actual laws and demonstrated a knowledge of the subject. Here everyone is chiming in about how an extra made up law, copying DL's, is so grand, and then you get angry when someone posts an actual law? Doesn't make sense.

Thanks Pilotguy and Inigoes for the information about this Commissioner, I have never heard of that before.

Angry? Hardly. I know the difference in gun law and policy. Its up to the consumer to RESEARCH the policy of the store before buying a gun or using the ffl as a transfer agent.

From the way you talk here im betting you follow through with your crusade of photocopy oppression. Other shops alike to know who to look out for and refuse service to.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    Oh, I'm supposed to know FFL's are going to add in their own personal information agglomeration policies? This thread shows I am researching what the laws are, and the law is that there is no law saying FFL's need to copy DL's. Or do you, in your infinite gun shop commando wisdom, dispute that?

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Oh, I'm supposed to know FFL's are going to add in their own personal information agglomeration policies? This thread shows I am researching what the laws are, and the law is that there is no law saying FFL's need to copy DL's. Or do you, in your infinite gun shop commando wisdom, dispute that?

It is a personal choice I believe but it certainly makes our compliance checks, paperwork, and trace requests far easier.

PS: Did you not read that the law allows us to photocopy the drivers license in black and white? That is legal. What Pilotguy posted was his edited version of the law or he did not fully read it. I called the MVA today and was told this was legal. Personal choice on our end to photocopy it, and your personal choice of where to shop.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Basspro used to copy licenses....then we kept getting dinged for small differences between the address on the photocopied license and the 4473. We're now on a computerized 4473 system where legibility isnt an issue, so we dont keep a photo of the license to incriminate ourselves for a customer putting down the wrong address on the form.

Now that you use the computerized system does it just scan the info from the DL?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Guys like you are hilarious.

Yes you are supposed to ask policies before buying a gun. Its a heavily regulated industry. A good shop has them in writing and has the buyer read and agree to the terms before letting you touch any other paperwork.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    The FFL is not your enemy. Sometimes you may encounter an FFL that you may have personal differences, but I'm sure if you ask any FFL if they would prefer cash-and-carry sales for everything if it were 100% legal with little-to-no paperwork, they would. These policies don't exist because FFLs are malicious gatekeepers for firearms ownership - these policies exist because the legal climate that we live in forces them to cover their asses to an unprecedented degree. I'm not sure I understand this hostility. It's not like if your local FootLocker asked to photocopy your ID to buy shoes. You're trying to buy a gun; in this day-and-age, and in this state especially, the FFL runs the risk of losing their livelihood if they don't dot their Is and cross their Ts.

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    Some people want to make things so difficult. Thanks to all of you guys operating in MD so that I have places to buy guns, accessories etc. locally. I can't imagine the headaches you guys deal with because some jackwagons want to get worked up over nothing. Some of us out here really do appreciate you local guys :thumbsup: Others would be wiser to spend their time fighting for something that matters (perhaps 2A rights??) rather than bothering local FFLs :kicknuts::moon:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    While the shop that I deal with doesn't copy my DL, I wouldn't object if they wanted too. What's the big deal? I just don't see why it matters really.

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    While the shop that I deal with doesn't copy my DL, I wouldn't object if they wanted too. What's the big deal? I just don't see why it matters really.

When they copy your DL, it takes a piece of your soul!! :omg:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    When I take a dump, I'm giving up a piece of my soul too. Sometimes some red blood cells too. :D

EWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HMMMMMMMPHHHHHH! PLOP!!

RedViperinMD

Mar 20, 2011
    MoCo
    Getting tricked like that when I'm filling out paperwork, looking over a gun and thinking about it instead of paying attention to what the clerk is doing with my license just ticks me off.

Who is "tricking" you into anything? When I hear statements like that it actually makes me think that an IQ test for a firearm purchase is not such a bad idea... Perhaps you should just deal with an FFL that doesn't take advantage of your special needs.

Sorry to be so harsh, but there is a very good business and legal reason to make a copy of your DL. I say legal not because its copying is required by law, but it clearly helps the FFL deal with inquiries and may very well save his/her license in the long run (the FFL's licensing being the legal issue).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom