• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    My son is currently in Afghanistan and I'm buying guns as gifts for him while he's away. The non-regulated ones will be given to him and the regulated ones will be transfered through MSP or an FFL once he's home.

I bought an AR lower to build an AR for him but am having a hard time find everything else that's needed. I ended up buying a complete AR as well just in case I can't find the parts for the build. The AR is regulated so it will definitely be transfered legally once he's home. If the laws concerning ARs change before he gets home, I'll just give him my HBAR since it's not regulated and keep the other/s for myself.

I don't know where you live (state) but I'm sure your parents can do something similar for you.

Semper Fi - Devil Dog Thank you for your service.

Just so you know, you can gift your son the firearm (at the moment anyway) and then file a 77R up to 5 days later with no fee if it's regulated.

MDCode:
    (2) If the regulated firearm is a gift to the purchaser's spouse, parent, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, or child, the recipient shall:

(i) complete an application to purchase or transfer a regulated firearm; and

(ii) forward the application to the Secretary within 5 days after receipt of the regulated firearm.

(3) The Secretary shall waive the $ 10 application fee required under § 5-118(a)(2) of this subtitle for a gift purchased in accordance with this subsection.

Nate4641

Jan 25, 2013
    I seriously doubt hat any significant Federal bans will be enacted, but things could get ugly in Maryland. The good news for you is the awful bills that I have seen take effect 10/01/2013, October first being the customary date new infringements on the liberties of Maryland residents go into effect.

You are coming home in June, so if all else fails, buy whatever you want now online and have it shipped to your FFL. Any dealer with an ounce of civic pride should be happy to hold your item until you can get back and complete the paperwork.

You're actually not too far away from me being in Damascus, any chance you could help me out? I've been trying to find an FFL near southern Carroll County, but some of the listings look old and there is little information.

Nate4641

Jan 25, 2013
    Now that this new law has passed I have about 1 chance to buy an AR lower before October. I already know what I want, and am watching a few auctions, but I have not been able to get ahold of any FFLs to help me out. I will be coming home to Maryland in June for just shy of 2 weeks. From what I have been hearing, the wait time is more like a months to be able to pick anything up after purchase. Is anyone here an FFL that could help me out?

Would it be possible for me to purchase a lower online, have it shipped to the FFL to hold onto, have the paperwork mailed to me to fill out, and I send the paperwork back in order to get the background check rolling without me physically in the state?

Even as I read that to myself it sounds sketchy, but I'm getting a little desperate to buy something before I have to wait a few more years until I am stationed back in the States.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Now that this new law has passed I have about 1 chance to buy an AR lower before October. I already know what I want, and am watching a few auctions, but I have not been able to get ahold of any FFLs to help me out. I will be coming home to Maryland in June for just shy of 2 weeks. From what I have been hearing, the wait time is more like a months to be able to pick anything up after purchase. Is anyone here an FFL that could help me out?

Would it be possible for me to purchase a lower online, have it shipped to the FFL to hold onto, have the paperwork mailed to me to fill out, and I send the paperwork back in order to get the background check rolling without me physically in the state?

Even as I read that to myself it sounds sketchy, but I'm getting a little desperate to buy something before I have to wait a few more years until I am stationed back in the States.

This is possible, you are a MD resident, you might have to mail the forms, but it is possible. What I would do, is find an FFL here in MD that you can work with. Once you do that, you should be able to get more than one. Also, right now, submit the paperwork to become a MD designated collector, it's simple and easy. Any decent FFL should be able to help you with that too. Then you'll be able to purchase as many receivers as you want in a month.

Don't get too worried. Just get a move on now and find an FFL to work with.

vcaddy05

Apr 18, 2013
    Thanks for the info.

My family lives in Carroll County where I grew up. My parents are not the most gun loving people, it actually took a bit of persuading for them to allow me to keep a firearm locked up in their house. Being that, I dont know how comfortable either of my parents would be with purchasing a firearm in their name, even if they were to transfer it to me.

If they were to accept that idea and are willing to do so, how does the FFL transfer work when it is person to person and does the 7 day wait and amount of restricted firearms purchased in a set time still apply in this situation?

Also I'm partially planning my next leave trip around the Timonium Gun Show. I haven't been able to find any information on how purchases work at the gun show. Is it a buy and carry out on the spot type of situation at gun shows in Maryland? Or is there some kind of background check/wait period type of thing involved?

I guess you could always talk to some FFL dealers and see if they would be willing to allow you to purchase a lower, and they hang on to it for you until you return in June. Someone might be accommodating enough for you. Either that or you just wait until you are back and buy the lower then. I'm sure you will be able to get your hands on one at that time.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Since a national AWB failed or at least stalled I think we chould see prices coming down and availability increasing in Maryland. Stores are starting to have magazines in stock and it looks like black rifles are more readily available too. Hopefully they will everywhere once you get back. I'd look at paying for one now at a local shop and doing the paperwork once you get back. If it comes down to it, you could always get an HBAR after October.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom