• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nate4641

Jan 25, 2013
    I'm a Marine who is currently deployed overseas and want to find out what my options are for purchasing firearms while out of the country. I am looking at buying an AR15 lower, or maybe a complete rifle if I can find one for a decent price. A friend of mine referred me to staw purchases where my parents would pick up the firearm from an FFL for me. This sounds a little shady to me, but looking into it I can't find much information other than urging FFLs not to do straw purchases to prevent firearms getting into the hands of those who are not allowed to have them. I have no problem with that, it makes sense.

Does anyone know what steps I can take, if I can mail or fax in any forms for purchasing firearms that I would normally fill out in the store, or if this is even possible. The next time I will be able to come home isn't until June and sadly the scare of a ban is getting to me too and I would like to get something before I can't get anything.

By the way, I'm Nate, and I'm new here.

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My son is currently in Afghanistan and I'm buying guns as gifts for him while he's away. The non-regulated ones will be given to him and the regulated ones will be transfered through MSP or an FFL once he's home.

I bought an AR lower to build an AR for him but am having a hard time find everything else that's needed. I ended up buying a complete AR as well just in case I can't find the parts for the build. The AR is regulated so it will definitely be transfered legally once he's home. If the laws concerning ARs change before he gets home, I'll just give him my HBAR since it's not regulated and keep the other/s for myself.

I don't know where you live (state) but I'm sure your parents can do something similar for you.

Semper Fi - Devil Dog Thank you for your service.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nate4641

Jan 25, 2013
    My son is currently in Afghanistan and I'm buying guns as gifts for him while he's away. The non-regulated ones will be given to him and the regulated ones will be transfered through MSP or an FFL once he's home.

I bought an AR lower to build an AR for him but am having a hard time find everything else that's needed. I ended up buying a complete AR as well just in case I can't find the parts for the build. The AR is regulated so it will definitely be transfered legally once he's home. If the laws concerning ARs change before he gets home, I'll just give him my HBAR since it's not regulated and keep the other/s for myself.

I don't know where you live (state) but I'm sure your parents can do something similar for you.

Semper Fi - Devil Dog Thank you for your service.

Thanks for the info.

My family lives in Carroll County where I grew up. My parents are not the most gun loving people, it actually took a bit of persuading for them to allow me to keep a firearm locked up in their house. Being that, I dont know how comfortable either of my parents would be with purchasing a firearm in their name, even if they were to transfer it to me.

If they were to accept that idea and are willing to do so, how does the FFL transfer work when it is person to person and does the 7 day wait and amount of restricted firearms purchased in a set time still apply in this situation?

Also I'm partially planning my next leave trip around the Timonium Gun Show. I haven't been able to find any information on how purchases work at the gun show. Is it a buy and carry out on the spot type of situation at gun shows in Maryland? Or is there some kind of background check/wait period type of thing involved?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks for the info.

My family lives in Carroll County where I grew up. My parents are not the most gun loving people, it actually took a bit of persuading for them to allow me to keep a firearm locked up in their house. Being that, I dont know how comfortable either of my parents would be with purchasing a firearm in their name, even if they were to transfer it to me.

If they were to accept that idea and are willing to do so, how does the FFL transfer work when it is person to person and does the 7 day wait and amount of restricted firearms purchased in a set time still apply in this situation?

Also I'm partially planning my next leave trip around the Timonium Gun Show. I haven't been able to find any information on how purchases work at the gun show. Is it a buy and carry out on the spot type of situation at gun shows in Maryland? Or is there some kind of background check/wait period type of thing involved?

Transfering a regulated firearm through MSP or an FFL is actually fairly simple. You both go in and fill out the paperwork and wait 7 days (or longer currently based on the number they are processing). When you get the call that you are "not disapproved" the gun can be transfered legally. Gun shows work the same way with regulated firearms... which means you'll have to take another trip to the dealer to pick up the gun after the paperwork comes back.

Non-regulated is a much easier process. "Currently" non-regulated firearms (most rifles and shotguns) can be transfered face-to-face with no paperwork involved as long as the person receiving the gun can legally own it. Most non-regulated firearms at a gun show will be through a dealer that will call in a NICS check with paperwork you'll fill out. Then if you're approved, you can walk out with the gun.

Hopefully this makes sense.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Welcome, Nate.

Since you have internet access I urge you to follow this link

http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/email.html

and contact all the Md legislators and register your opposition to any new gun control laws and specifically SB281. If this law passes your question will become moot.

You can send the same message to all of them at on time, and contact them on a continuous basis.

Nate4641

Jan 25, 2013
    Thanks for the info everyone. Just to make sure I have my facts straight, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I can only buy or recieve a transfer of one regulated firearm (pistols and "assault rifles") within a 30 day period and I have to wait 7 days after the purchase to pick up the firearm. Firearms purchased at a gun show still have the 7 day wait period.

I can only buy 20 round mags, but I can own 30+ round mags. I can buy magazines in another state and bring them into MD, but cannot sell them.

Maryland doesnt have any laws against ordinary features on an AR15 like flash hiders, detachable mags, pistol grip. Barrels have to be more than 16 inches though.

Pistols have to be registered, rifles and shotguns do not.

I can buy upper receiver assemblies and ammo online and have them shipped to my house without an FFL involved.

Questions I still have:

Do bolt action rifles or shotguns have a 7 day wait?

Is there a capacity limit on shells that can fit in shotguns?

Can I buy a restricted firearm and a non restricted firearm within 30 days of eachother?

beafly.cakes

Supposedly you're not "registering" anything. You're just giving the MD State police 7 days to do additional background investigation before approving scary guns on a "regulated" list.

I'm not aware of any bolt action rifles on MDs regulated list. So they should all be cash and carry, same day.

DNR has rules on ammo capacity of shotguns while in use for hunting. I believe it is 3, 1 in chamber and 2 in the tube. My Mossberg had a dowel rod in it that reduces the capacity of he tube to 2 to make it legal to hunt with. Since I keep it for home defense, I have the dowel rod removed so the tube holds 5. There is no limit on the number of rounds in the tube outside of hunting to my knowledge.

Yes, the limit is on regulated firearms. You should be able to buy a stack of Bolt action rifles any time you wish. Then you can also buy one firearm from the regulated list every 30 days. As noted above, if you send in the designated collector forms, you remove the restriction(7 day wait still applies).

Clear as mud right?

Nate4641

Jan 25, 2013
    Yes, the limit is on regulated firearms. You should be able to buy a stack of Bolt action rifles any time you wish. Then you can also buy one firearm from the regulated list every 30 days. As noted above, if you send in the designated collector forms, you remove the restriction(7 day wait still applies).

Clear as mud right?

Haha, pretty much that clear. Thanks for the info. Sadly I will only be home for about 2 weeks so there goes my hope of getting an AR15 and a pistol. How hard are those designated collector licenses to get?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I'm a Marine who is currently deployed overseas and want to find out what my options are for purchasing firearms while out of the country. I am looking at buying an AR15 lower, or maybe a complete rifle if I can find one for a decent price. A friend of mine referred me to staw purchases where my parents would pick up the firearm from an FFL for me. This sounds a little shady to me, but looking into it I can't find much information other than urging FFLs not to do straw purchases to prevent firearms getting into the hands of those who are not allowed to have them. I have no problem with that, it makes sense.

Does anyone know what steps I can take, if I can mail or fax in any forms for purchasing firearms that I would normally fill out in the store, or if this is even possible. The next time I will be able to come home isn't until June and sadly the scare of a ban is getting to me too and I would like to get something before I can't get anything.

By the way, I'm Nate, and I'm new here.

Nate,

Couple of options, depending on where you are stationed.

1. Where is your home of record. Mine is in a free state (Texas). You can change your home of record to a new state if you are stationed in a state that is more favorable than Marylandistan, then you could buy privately (which would not be a straw purchase).

2. If you are stuck with Maryland contact Rusty Shackleford and see if you can create some kind of trust or corporation that will allow you share with your parents so that you can have the trust or corporation purchase the firearms, which would be held by them until you return. (Probably require a power of attorney sent to your parents to make this happen.)

You're going to have to get creative. It's not gonna be pleasant if any of this goes through!

Nate4641

Jan 25, 2013
    Why don't we see if one of our industry partners can put aside a receiver for this Marine? If he is coming home in June that will give him plenty of time to fill out the paperwork and take delivery once he gets back home.

That would be awesome!

Well as I said before my parents aren't as gun friendly as I would like them to be so in a turn of events my mother has told me she is ok with a "normal" rifle or a pistol, but not "the ones Obama is talking about" haha :sad20:. So I have a few months to convincer her that the AR57 I want to build is just the same as the FiveseveN pistol I was looking at (pistol caliber, semi-auto, 20 rounds). Over the top safeties will probably help as well.

Aside from locking the gun in multiple pieces, upper and lower, with cable locks through the ejection port and mag well respectively and in multiple locked cases, what else could I do? Are there trigger locks for AR15s? Imagine you were trying to convince Feinstein to keep an ar15 in her house.

If I still don't get the green light from them on an AR15 style rifle I am still fine with getting a pistol as the only restricted firearm I will be able to buy in my two weeks home. Now I just have to decide which pistol I want haha.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Easy peasy. Go to the link dfens42 put up for you above. Download and fill out the form at the bottom. Have it notarized. Mail it in. The trick for you will be finding a notary. I'm not sure how hard that would be.

Easy as pie in the military, every officer is a notary.

Marine, you have an incoming PM on a place to get a very special lower reciever. And a stripped lower is the least scary "firearm" in existence, it's just an awkwardly shaped hunk of metal.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    That would be awesome!

Well as I said before my parents aren't as gun friendly as I would like them to be so in a turn of events my mother has told me she is ok with a "normal" rifle or a pistol, but not "the ones Obama is talking about" haha :sad20:. So I have a few months to convincer her that the AR57 I want to build is just the same as the FiveseveN pistol I was looking at (pistol caliber, semi-auto, 20 rounds). Over the top safeties will probably help as well.

Aside from locking the gun in multiple pieces, upper and lower, with cable locks through the ejection port and mag well respectively and in multiple locked cases, what else could I do? Are there trigger locks for AR15s? Imagine you were trying to convince Feinstein to keep an ar15 in her house.

If I still don't get the green light from them on an AR15 style rifle I am still fine with getting a pistol as the only restricted firearm I will be able to buy in my two weeks home. Now I just have to decide which pistol I want haha.

Just get the receiver, that's all you need, get the rest of the parts later. Unless the bill in the US senate passes, you'll be fine.

Nate4641

Jan 25, 2013
    Just get the receiver, that's all you need, get the rest of the parts later. Unless the bill in the US senate passes, you'll be fine.

I plan on building the rifle while I am home and going shooting with some friends who are still in town as well. My mother never grew up around guns, so she has the same fear the rest of the country has who have never been educated on proper safety and handling of firearms. My father served in the Navy and Air Force so his experience is limited. I am going to do my best to explain in detail that a firearm of any kind is not a danger to anyone when locked up and there is no ammo in the weapon or house. After all we need to not only educate people how to safely use and handle firearms, we need to teach people how to safely store them as well.

Nate4641

Jan 25, 2013
    I've got a couple more questions on purchasing while out of state, or country for my situation.

Is there a way to work with a dealer so that I can purchase a restricted firearm without physically stepping foot in the store and still have the 7 day wait run through? Like they fax or email me the documents I need to fill out and then I send them back the paperwork, copy of my ID, and payment then the process goes through and they just hold onto the fire arm for me. I don't know if that is possible, but as a Maryland resident I don't see why it wouldn't be if I provide copies of my ID.

How would it work if I wanted to buy a restricted firearm for my girlfriend? If I bought the gun on gunbroker, had it shipped to the FFL and she filled out the paperwork for herself would that be OK? Or does the person paying for the gun have to be the one filling out paperwork? Also what if I give her the money to buy the gun herself for herself?

Last edited:

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I seriously doubt hat any significant Federal bans will be enacted, but things could get ugly in Maryland. The good news for you is the awful bills that I have seen take effect 10/01/2013, October first being the customary date new infringements on the liberties of Maryland residents go into effect.

You are coming home in June, so if all else fails, buy whatever you want now online and have it shipped to your FFL. Any dealer with an ounce of civic pride should be happy to hold your item until you can get back and complete the paperwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom