• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • It does not meet the 1200 ft/lb energy requirement for rifles --see the discussion in the Airgun section---I had long conversation with DNR guy about this very subject. Of course it is powerful enough- as would be a .357 or .45 levergun--it is just not legal ---would be legal from a pistol probably at 700 ft/lb---dumb regulation in my opinion--it may change in a year or 2 (or 3). I have Ruger Pc Carbine in .40s&w that I would like to use too. Like I said -read the section of the Hunting Guide that applies

Okay then I go with my clock 20 with a 6-inch barrel. 220 grain Buffalo bore heavy makes 703 foot pounds of energy. Or I can use my Henry 357 that makes 1900 feet per second with 158 grain bullet.

Frankly I'm not too concerned about that regulation since the burden of proof is on the state. You're right it's a ridiculous regulation considering virtually most other types of weapons used to harvest whitetail deer in the state of Maryland are incapable of making that kind of energy but are still perfectly legal to hunt with.

Have to push a 200 grain at 1250 fps for a pistol, and 1650 fps for the rifle. I can push a 170 that fast in a handgun in a 41 mag, but a 10 is < 41 mag.

Like I've said countless times before the burden of proof is on the state not on me. They have to prove that it doesn't reach that kind of energy I don't have to prove sh"t.

That said I'll probably make another choice even if I think the regulation is ridiculous. I guess I'll stick to handgun hunting with my 10 mm

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I'm going with the .50 Beo. Plenty of energy out to 100yds. Kicks harder than my 12 gauge with 1.5oz slugs. The suppressor helps with the recoil some.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Like I've said countless times before the burden of proof is on the state not on me. They have to prove that it doesn't reach that kind of energy I don't have to prove sh"t.

That said I'll probably make another choice even if I think the regulation is ridiculous. I guess I'll stick to handgun hunting with my 10 mm
    So you want them to confiscate your firearm to take it to a lab and conduct an energy test? You can google FPE and see that it doesn't meet the specs. I'm pretty sure DNR police have smartphones. Do what you want but I'd go with something I know won't be questioned.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    It's larger. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.350_Legend

800px-.350_Legend.jpg
    Ah I see that and it's interesting to see it was made around this law.

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    I inherited a nazi Mauser bring back that was rebarreled in 7x61 sharpe and hart with a sporting stock and trigger work. Things a tack driver.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So you want them to confiscate your firearm to take it to a lab and conduct an energy test? You can google FPE and see that it doesn't meet the specs. I'm pretty sure DNR police have smartphones. Do what you want but I'd go with something I know won't be questioned.
    Muzzle energies of 700+ f/lbs can be achieved with the 10mm pistol round.

A longer barrel will only help.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Maryland and is residents . Both f’ed up

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Okay then I go with my clock 20 with a 6-inch barrel. 220 grain Buffalo bore heavy makes 703 foot pounds of energy. Or I can use my Henry 357 that makes 1900 feet per second with 158 grain bullet.

Frankly I'm not too concerned about that regulation since the burden of proof is on the state. You're right it's a ridiculous regulation considering virtually most other types of weapons used to harvest whitetail deer in the state of Maryland are incapable of making that kind of energy but are still perfectly legal to hunt with.
    No the burden of proof is going to be on you.
    How long have you had a license?
    Tell it to he judge is what your going to be told.
    F around in area 3 and you might just find out LOL.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    My 444 marlin has been my go to since they started allowing strait walls. With FTX handloads I could push it to 200 yards but I would rarely ever have to shoot that far.

Unfortunately this year I’m using a borrowed ruger Deerfield 44 mag.

Attachments

• E1EF9EAE-EE7D-4FB0-852D-D3345DE89866.jpeg
      E1EF9EAE-EE7D-4FB0-852D-D3345DE89866.jpeg
      372.9 KB · Views: 40

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Have to push a 200 grain at 1250 fps for a pistol, and 1650 fps for the rifle. I can push a 170 that fast in a handgun in a 41 mag, but a 10 is < 41 mag.
    Heck I am pushing 1800FPS with a 350-grain shell form a .500 S&W loaded with some H-110.

sbowers

Jun 15, 2012
    IMG_6951.jpeg

Cooper Model 52 in 6.5-284
    Browning A Bolt 300 WSM

A bolt will likely get the most field time

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member