• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Missed part of your question...

The toll is after you pass havre de grace and head into Perryville/port deposit. When I head up to Oxford from exit 77 it's about 30mins each way. Easy drive and I'm happy to drive you up if you want to meet at the exit or a park and ride. Either way.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Ewwwwweeeeee!

More the merrier, wish you guys didn't all live so far, Tuesday nights is where it's at, we do long bird shoots and some other nonsense then that can't be done on Sundays.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    We hit up Hopewell this morning for their triple shoot, I think Oxford was doing the same tomorrow? Everyone I shoot with really likes Oxford, but it such a long drive from Harford. Going across the dam all the way up to Nottingham, back down to Chrome Road.

Hopewell is right across the line on 23 before Stewartstown and takes everyone an average 30 minutes to get to.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    It can get expensive quick too, especially for Fabs. He's got 3 tolls to pay as you dont pay going into Harford from Cecil, or you can rack up miles and spend it in fuel. When we go to Pintail Point, Route 50 makes the most sense as a trip around Cecil would take all day, but man, do the tolls add up fast and pulling a trailer.

I usually prefer to rack up miles since my Common rail truck gets decent mileage as long as the alternative routes aren't stop/go with traffic lights and it doesnt add hours to the trip.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    FAB, I've been shooting with Phil at Oxford several times now and I can tell you I'm right off exit 77 on i95 (Abingdon) and its 30minutes door to door for me. If I scoot over to rte1 its a much longer ride for me. It's so close I joined the club and I'll be shooting all winter as well. Happy to carpool with anyone who wants to hop in that's going up 95. There's a couple park and rides we could meet at but I'll let Phil speak to the club as he knows everything about the place and I'm still a rookie there. I haven't seen the hazing process yet, I'm hoping they forgot about me there

No kidding, taking 95 to Oxford is faster than going 136 to rt 1 ???
    I'll have to try that.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    No kidding, taking 95 to Oxford is faster than going 136 to rt 1 ???

I'll have to try that.

It's a lot faster in my opinion depending on where you're coming from. It takes me 15 minutes to get to Hickory on rte 1 then 30+ minutes from there. I'm right off I95 in abingdon and can jump on the highway to 272 and be there in 30 flat. Good stuff. It takes me 45 minutes to get to AGC or the place in Westminster so I might as well shoot in Oxford or Southern Lancaster for that matter.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    It can get expensive quick too, especially for Fabs. He's got 3 tolls to pay as you dont pay going into Harford from Cecil, or you can rack up miles and spend it in fuel. When we go to Pintail Point, Route 50 makes the most sense as a trip around Cecil would take all day, but man, do the tolls add up fast and pulling a trailer.

I usually prefer to rack up miles since my Common rail truck gets decent mileage as long as the alternative routes aren't stop/go with traffic lights and it doesnt add hours to the trip.

lol - the tolls and gas are the cheap part about shooting. The cost per round and the ammo can get up there too. Shoot 5 rounds of skeet or trap and you are easily looking at $50 for that.

I don't mind the drive. Met some awesome guys a decade ago down at Charles County Sportsman Club. Was talking to two of them on a hunting chatboard and one invited me to shoot sporting clays down there. Now, I am friends with 4 guys I met down there. I get down there every once in a while. Used to shoot the Deagle Tournament at Sanners Lake every year with one of them, and then Sanners Lake stopped doing the tournament.

Have guns will travel.

Have chainsaws and splitter, will travel. lol

Find a couple trees up there and we can make it a clays/firewood weekend. lol

Thing is, I drive my Focus or Taurus to go shooting and hunting, unless I actually need the truck for something. The cars are a little easier on the gas.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    It's a lot faster in my opinion depending on where you're coming from. It takes me 15 minutes to get to Hickory on rte 1 then 30+ minutes from there. I'm right off I95 in abingdon and can jump on the highway to 272 and be there in 30 flat. Good stuff. It takes me 45 minutes to get to AGC or the place in Westminster so I might as well shoot in Oxford or Southern Lancaster for that matter.

AGC and Carroll County Gun Club ("CCGC") only throw trap. The drive would be much further for you to find a sporting clays course down here.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Yeah, but it looks like different games are done on different days. It isn't like PG Trap & Skeet where everything can be shot pretty much every day of the week. From what I saw, sporting clays on Sunday, 5 stand on Tuesday, and trap & skeet mixed in there.

Tuesday: 5 stand
    Wednesday: Skeet and Wobble Trap
    Thursday: Trap
    2nd/4th/5th Sunday: Sporting Clays
    1st/3rd Sunday: Big Meat Trap

This is a member run club, we're all volunteer (I spend about 15 hours a week there from March till end of October), 3.5 hours on Sundays, 7 Hours every Tuesday, then the rest mixed in with helping out and meetings.

So, they only have field captains on those specific days for those events, otherwise no one shoots without an executive board member there.

On that topic, the club is VERY segregated, very few people shoot more than one discipline.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    AGC and Carroll County Gun Club ("CCGC") only throw trap. The drive would be much further for you to find a sporting clays course down here.

Agreed. Luckily I have a friend that has a course set up on his farm and we typically go out once or twice a month. We have a fire pit for burgers and dogs, have a beer after then head out. It's 20mins from me which is really nice. He's also a member at a place called First Mine Run. It's a private club up near Jarrettsville/Madonna MD area and it's gotta be the most beautiful piece of property around. Only been there once on an invite but hope to return some day. Great course.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Tuesday: 5 stand
    Wednesday: Skeet and Wobble Trap
    Thursday: Trap
    2nd/4th/5th Sunday: Sporting Clays
    1st/3rd Sunday: Big Meat Trap

This is a member run club, we're all volunteer (I spend about 15 hours a week there from March till end of October), 3.5 hours on Sundays, 7 Hours every Tuesday, then the rest mixed in with helping out and meetings.

So, they only have field captains on those specific days for those events, otherwise no one shoots without an executive board member there.

On that topic, the club is VERY segregated, very few people shoot more than one discipline.

I am as undisciplined as they come. I'll shoot whatever is available and whatever a friend or group of people want to shoot. No segregation for me. lol Pretty much the same way with hunting and fishing.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Im lucky to have friends who have farms. We usually shoot a lot in the fields, the only thing is that as Fabs said, I can go through 3 flats in a just a few hours. Its not as competitive as going to a club, but you setup an electric thrower and then get someone on a manual thrower, it can be just as entertaining and good practice. I'd almost always prefer to shoot on a farm, but it's not always possible.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Took it out for its first run today and really enjoyed it! It's going to take a little getting used to the much longer barrels but shot a 29 and missed a handful of really easy ones I shouldn't have. Meh, had a great time and can't wait to get several more rounds under my belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom