• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Silencer Shop employee told me they went from 150k units a year to 600k last year. Apparently many people were not going to buy a can if it took a year to get but 3 months they were on board. I told my customers it wasn’t realistic and if we’re lucky by summer of 23 it may get to 90 days. Alas now we have millions applying for tax exempt form 1s so the situation isn’t getting better anytime soon.
    E-Forms have been a god send for places like Silencershop that invested the money into their kiosks for E-Forms. Honestly believe paper forms were the hurdle, people do not have the "time/patience" to get the printing and photos and such all done and then dropped into the mail then it arrives at the blackhole that is the ATF.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Form 1 submitted on 2/23, approved 3/9!! Blazin’ fast!! Also, having the digital tax stamp is not all that’s required. You also have to engrave certain information on your items. In my case, it was an existing lower. I had to have “Trust of”: my name, or a name, City and state where my trust is. (Read the paragraph just above size and depth of markings) Now, if only my form 4’s would be this fast!!!!

Last edited:

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    You don't need to put "trust of" if that isn't part of the legal name of your trust. If you did the Form4 to an individual you just need your name & city/state. If a trust, you replace your name w/ the name of the trust. It is its own legal entity. My trust name is "XXXXXXX TRUST". Thats all I have to engrave + my address info. The engraving is the reason to keep your trust name as short as possible :)

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    You don't need to put "trust of" if that isn't part of the legal name of your trust. If you did the Form4 to an individual you just need your name & city/state. If a trust, you replace your name w/ the name of the trust. It is its own legal entity. My trust name is "XXXXXXX TRUST". Thats all I have to engrave + my address info. The engraving is the reason to keep your trust name as short as possible :)
    Splitting hairs, but, you’re correct. My point was that having a copy of the digital tax stamp, wasn’t the only thing required. I chose to immortalize myself with trust of: H-D… :D But, HD’s trust would’ve sufficed

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Splitting hairs, but, you’re correct. My point was that having a copy of the digital tax stamp, wasn’t the only thing required. I chose to immortalize myself with trust of: H-D… :D But, HD’s trust would’ve sufficed
    It needs to be your trusts exact full name. "XXXXXX TRUST" and "Trust of: XXXXXXX" are not the same thing. If your trust name is just "XXXXXXXX" then that is all you need to put and anything before/after is superfluous. My trust name has the word trust in it (thus why I used quotes.)

If you got a form1 approved due to the new brace law, you are not required to engrave anything.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    It needs to be your trusts exact full name. "XXXXXX TRUST" and "Trust of: XXXXXXX" are not the same thing. If your trust name is just "XXXXXXXX" then that is all you need to put and anything before/after is superfluous. My trust name has the word trust in it (thus why I used quotes.)

If you got a form1 approved due to the new brace law, you are not required to engrave anything.
    Dude! Why are you so argumentative? The points been made. HD is my initials. For the sake of some anonymity, on this forum, I didn’t disclose my whole name. The engraving has my whole name. Trust of: H…… D……. While it may be worded a little different than what you suggest, it’s still conveying the correct information. Whether it says H…… D…….’s trust, or Trust of: H….. D…… , doesn’t matter! At this point, you’re arguing over Symantec’s. It was never a pistol. I just had bad timing to desire an SBR. I wasn’t even paying attention to ATF’s ruling.
    457EBCD7-F704-445A-A21D-F93DB0B07C07.jpeg

Last edited:

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Wether it says H…… D…….’s trust, or Trust of: H….. D…… , doesn’t matter!

View attachment 406046
    From the outside looking in and truly not trying to argue. Smdub’s point is the word “trust” is in no way part of the engraving if trust is not in the name of said trust. You have not conveyed you are getting that. Smdub is just trying to save you some engraving. GL

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Not trying to be argumentative. You didn't fully understand the process before. Just trying to keep you legal (and anyone else following along at home who is new to this process)

I did not know if your receiver started as a braced pistol or not. Given the timing of the recent law and the flood of form 1s, figured it was helpful information to post whether the case or not.

I do find it odd that your trust's legal name is the same as yours. That is not typical as there is no way to differentiate the person from the trust. Its literally like having a twin. Where did you get the trust?

In the world of NFA, semantics matter.

Last edited:

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I know I’m preaching to the choir but how disgraceful…
    Just got my approval and stamp email today. E-Form 4 from 6/17/22 (277 days in total). Not quite 90, but better than paper form 4 folks I suppose. Going to pick it up on Thursday.

I really hope I’m forever done with ATF NFA, even though I’ve recently been thinking hard on a new can for my 50 Beowulf with 338 Lapua Magnum compatibility. I may have made a mistake on the SilencerCo Omega 300 this time around, which is slated to be a dedicated forever mount on a 300 Win Mag. I should’ve found the bigger can for the Beowulf and Lapua that also works on the Win Mag, if one exists. I’m sure that’s available but I’m afraid to research that further, fearing I’ll jump back into the mind-numbing waiting game.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    Just got my approval and stamp email today. E-Form 4 from 6/17/22 (277 days in total). Not quite 90, but better than paper form 4 folks I suppose. Going to pick it up on Thursday.

I really hope I’m forever done with ATF NFA, even though I’ve recently been thinking hard on a new can for my 50 Beowulf with 338 Lapua Magnum compatibility. I may have made a mistake on the SilencerCo Omega 300 this time around, which is slated to be a dedicated forever mount on a 300 Win Mag. I should’ve found the bigger can for the Beowulf and Lapua that also works on the Win Mag, if one exists. I’m sure that’s available but I’m afraid to research that further, fearing I’ll jump back into the mind-numbing waiting game.
    I picked my 2 up Thursday also. Just buy the other one. I bought 2 aluminum tube cans and also thought I made a mistake. But they are amazingly light and go so well with the hosts, and I only shoot subs so they are perfect for their use. But like you I think I’m getting a titanium one for a rifle I don’t have and haven’t decided on the caliber either. I think I may commit with the old buying a box of bullets trick.

About 12 years ago I bought a 16 inch cz 452 American as a host. Finally it is finished. And it is truly tv show quiet. Glad I spent the money on a quality design as it really does eliminate frp.

was42

Aug 19, 2010
    Carney, MD
    My Form 4 was eFiled on 6/21/22 and I received the email approval at 2:41 PM, today, Sunday, 3/26/23. I'll fetch my item on Tuesday as the shop is closed tomorrow. ATF is showing their "process time for Form 4" as 270 days....mine: 278 days.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Check this out. ATF Form 1 and eForm 1 approval time by state. Supposed to be 35 days in Maryland. Mine is now over 60, why? I have been investigated and vetted seven ways to Sunday with the security clearances I hold.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    First of two came back today. 265 day wait.

eForm4 (1/2)
    Submitted: 7/8/2022
    Approved: 3/30/2023

eForm4(2/2)
    Submitted: 7/8/2022
    Approved: ...?

EDIT: Scratch that. Just took them five hours to send out the second email. Both approved today.

Last edited:

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    My Form 4 was eFiled on 6/21/22 and I received the email approval at 2:41 PM, today, Sunday, 3/26/23. I'll fetch my item on Tuesday as the shop is closed tomorrow. ATF is showing their "process time for Form 4" as 270 days....mine: 278 days.
    Uh oh, I'm about to buy a suppressor from my dealer. In this case, 270 days would work out well for me because I get an annual bonus in November from my job, right before picking up the new suppressor.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Uh oh, I'm about to buy a suppressor from my dealer. In this case, 270 days would work out well for me because I get an annual bonus in November from my job, right before picking up the new suppressor.
    I’m hoping we will start to see the tide turn soon since they should be done or close to done with the paper 4s. From how quick some of the free form 1s are happening I think they’re doing a regular NICS check. Probably figure since you already have it why do a deep dive. Nothing could surprise me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom