Crow Hunting Facts For The State Of Maryland HUH ???

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LRNAD90

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2015
    Balt. Co. MD
    Old thread I know, sorry. Was curious, does MD have any exceptions for hunting nuisance animals (allowing out of season hunting) and do you need a license before doing so. Damn Crows have gotten really bad and they are actually sitting on my roof and trying to tear parts of the shingles off. It sounds like a fight going on on the roof almost daily now.

I've thrown tennis balls at them before, and it sometimes makes them leave for a little while, but they are always back the next day..

Oh, and Hunting them with Air Rifles is not legal?

LRNAD90

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2015
    Balt. Co. MD
    Where did you find this? Here is what I found from the MD Hunting Guide put out by DNR.

Small Game Hunting Devices and Regulations​

• Firearms, archery equipment and air guns that shoot bullets, arrows or bolts may be used to hunt small game.

I didn't, it was a question based on the op's response from the MD State Representative..

Crows may only be taken by firearms, bow and falconry.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Shoot, shovel and shut up. When they are causing damage, I do not consider it breaking the rules, you are defending your property. I obey all game laws, F with my property and all bets are off and I'll kill anything causing it.

LRNAD90

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2015
    Balt. Co. MD
    Call or e-mail DNR. They send you a permit to kill them. Has a number to report number killed and such, well for coons and fox for sure.

Regulations are ridiculous, I probably live in the wrong part of Balt Co to be able to do so anyway, but thanks for the info..

Shoot, shovel and shut up. When they are causing damage, I do not consider it breaking the rules, you are defending your property. I obey all game laws, F with my property and all bets are off and I'll kill anything causing it.

I would be of the same mind, except I've seen too many examples of people doing things that shouldn't be an issue, and then some neighbor calls the police and makes it an issue..

Last edited:

DeadInside

MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2022
    SOMD
    From the DNR website;

Nuisance Wildlife​

Sometimes, it is necessary to learn how to prevent frequent visits by wildlife to your home or neighborhood. It may even become necessary to remove Nuisance Wildlife from your property. To find out about safe and legal ways to deal with these problem animals or to locate individuals or companies who are licensed by the Wildlife & Heritage Service to handle wildlife complaints, please call USDA Wildlife Services 1-877-463-6497 from Maryland or 410-349-8130from outside of Maryland, visit http://wildlifehelp.org or refer to linked list below.

Maryland Licensed Wildlife Damage

Control Operators Listed by County

Old thread I know, sorry. Was curious, does MD have any exceptions for hunting nuisance animals (allowing out of season hunting) and do you need a license before doing so. Damn Crows have gotten really bad and they are actually sitting on my roof and trying to tear parts of the shingles off. It sounds like a fight going on on the roof almost daily now.

I've thrown tennis balls at them before, and it sometimes makes them leave for a little while, but they are always back the next day..

Oh, and Hunting them with Air Rifles is not legal?

LRNAD90

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2015
    Balt. Co. MD
    Well, they are 'In Season' apparently, and no limit :lol:

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    It's a shame you've got Biker Gang style crows instead of Cool Crows. We've got cool ones. There's a matronly crow that we've seen around for years, watched her raise multiple broods in very high nests around the house (mostly, at the top of some very tall pines). She comes and looks in our kitchen window, then hops over to the railing by the back door and waits for my wife to go out and talk to her (and provide a snack of some sort). That crow is SUPER territorial about her social/cuisine turf, and will - by herself, or sometimes with a couple of her tribe - run off any and all other crows that show up within a quarter mile of our place. She's very chill, never causes any trouble (at least, not for us - who knows what her and her spawn get up to elsewhere).

They're very intelligent, and exhibit easily identifiable individual personalities. If they were killing chicks in a backyard poultry pen or otherwise being a problem, I'm sure I'd feel differently. But Two Toes (she's down a toe from some misadventure years ago) is practically an avian friend around our place. She tells us whenever there are neighborhood cats roaming the yard, and disposes of all slightly dodgy leftover lunchmeat.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That said, it is straight up legal to kill animals that are a threat to property or safety. BUT, I like big buts and I cannot lie, NRP/DNR catches wind that you are shooting deer because they are eating your favorite flowers, you are probably going to get a nasty citation and a judge that doesn't really care.

Getting a permit from DNR to take out the nuisance animal(s) is the best way to go. Otherwise you might be arguing it was legal and you weren't hunting and DNR/NRP/Judge isn't buying it.

Shooting a fox when you've got chickens is likely to go over a whole lot better if they cite you anyway. Same with racoons. Or can point to damage to your house. Or it was a racoon acting funny roaming around your porch in the daylight.

That said...I am with you on the SSS sometimes. Ground hogs get a quick 22 around here (which yes I realize hunting them is legal year round. I am not hunting, I am exterminating). Something is trying to get into my chicken coop, same deal. Just stating that if there is not "take care of it now" time pressure, calling to get a permit puts you in a much better position. Especially if for some reason you've got a Karen for a neighbor.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    When I used to shoot crows I often used steel shot becuase it breaks through the low canopy better when you bait them into a densely foliated environment.
    You usually only get one good cull in though becuase their so cagey.
    They are DANGED smart. Corvids in general are, but crows particularly. Use tools. A lot of evidence they are smarter than dogs. Up there with dolphins in terms of intelligence.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It's a shame you've got Biker Gang style crows instead of Cool Crows. We've got cool ones. There's a matronly crow that we've seen around for years, watched her raise multiple broods in very high nests around the house (mostly, at the top of some very tall pines). She comes and looks in our kitchen window, then hops over to the railing by the back door and waits for my wife to go out and talk to her (and provide a snack of some sort). That crow is SUPER territorial about her social/cuisine turf, and will - by herself, or sometimes with a couple of her tribe - run off any and all other crows that show up within a quarter mile of our place. She's very chill, never causes any trouble (at least, not for us - who knows what her and her spawn get up to elsewhere).

They're very intelligent, and exhibit easily identifiable individual personalities. If they were killing chicks in a backyard poultry pen or otherwise being a problem, I'm sure I'd feel differently. But Two Toes (she's down a toe from some misadventure years ago) is practically an avian friend around our place. She tells us whenever there are neighborhood cats roaming the yard, and disposes of all slightly dodgy leftover lunchmeat.
    Mine I think are awesome crows. That said, someone or something took out all of the fruit in my orchard late last season. Now, mind you "all my fruit" was/is not a lot. The trees are still pretty young, but it had been maybe 2 days since I had checked on things and everything gone. No ground evidence. So I am thinking it might have been neighborhood kids or the neighborhood heroin addict. I've also seen the crows down in there and around there before (the fence is 9 feet tall and no evidence any deer crashed through any part of it). 4 apples, probably a dozen and a half pears. This year I am going to stick a padlock on the gate and I put the owl scarecrow back on its fence post. My wife had moved it to her garden (the crows don't F with her garden at all) just a week or so before without telling me. I'd moved it earlier in the season because I kept seeing the crows in the orchard. With it back up, they are mostly avoiding that area. This year I've got a crap ton of grapes, two plums, a plumcot, half a dozen peaches, about a dozen apples and about a dozen pears (and a couple of almonds even!) toughing it out still. Trees are only 5-7 years old (from when they were likely seed. They are only in the ground 1-4 years depending on the tree, but I didn't grow any from seed, but some were pretty tiny grafts and some were much larger when I got them). And the cicadas did a ton of damage to them, despite tenting the trees. I figure I have another 1-2 years before most really start taking off on the fruit. But I would like to get out something, rather than the crows (or neighborhood riffraff) eating my fruit.

So I figure a padlock and game camera should at least give me an idea if it was/is the crows or someone in the neighborhood and what further measures I need to take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom