Crow Hunting Facts For The State Of Maryland HUH ???

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Here's an email I sent to Mr. Peter Jayne with Maryland DNR regarding some questions I had about Maryland's Crow hunting rules and regulations concerning "Baiting" of Crows and Crow Hunting Season length. The conversation opened a state of confusion as well.

The Maryland DNR Guide To Hunting and Trapping 2010-2011 has Crows listed as Upland Game, but, I'm told they are Federally protected as a Migratory Game Bird by Maryland DNR, so, why are they not listed in the guide as such? Then I'm told Maryland DNR lists them under Upland Game so the MD DNR doesn't have to got to the Feds for approval of the season... HUH?

You really have to be careful with hunting in Maryland, you never know what the rules are sometimes.

Here's my email and Mr. Jayne's reply is posted below:

---------------Original Message-----------------
    From: Southern Maryland Shooting Times [mailto:smst@somd.net]
    Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 10:50 AM
    To: Jayne, Peter
    Cc: somdshoot
    Subject: Crow Hunting Regulations

Hello Mr. Jayne,

The time has come once again for some Crow hunting for the remainder of the season. I was involved in a conversation the other day that questions whether or not baiting Crows in Maryland is legal or not. I do understand that Crow is an Upland Game species and not a Migratory, however, we have searched high and low trying to find some information that states if baiting is legal or illegal and we can find nothing stating it is illegal to do so. I would like to ask you directly for any information you can provide on the legalities of baiting Crows in Maryland.

In other inquiries, I would also like to know why the Maryland Crow season is only Wednesday through Saturday and how do we change this regulation to add the rest of the weeks days? Some states allow Crow hunting all through the year, and this regulation too, I would like to know what measures are required to extend the current Crow hunting season in Maryland.

As always, I thank you for your time, and I look forward to your replies in the near future.

Thank You,
    Dwight A. Owens Jr.
    SOMDSHOOT
    The SMST Staff

------------------------Reply From Peter Jayne--------------

Greetings, Dwight.

Crows are technically considered as migratory game birds (per the most recent Migratory Bird Treaty) and thus are under Federal control. They are not managed in quite the same way as other migratory birds, but that really isn’t important to know to answer your questions.

One may not shoot crows over baited areas, but may shoot them over harvested grain fields, planted ag fields and so on. You may use decoys and recorded (electronic) calls when hunting crows.

There are several provisions specifically for taking crows under Federal regulations.

Crows shall not be hunted from aircraft.

The hunting season or seasons on crows shall not exceed a total of 124 days during a calendar year.

Hunting shall not be permitted during the peak crow nesting period within a State, and

Crows may only be taken by firearms, bow and falconry.

To maximize crow hunting opportunities, Maryland DNR spreads the 124 days throughout the calendar year (excluding the peak nesting period). Thus the hunting season is open on Wednesday though Saturday from August 15 to March 15. We could change these regulations and allow crow hunting from Monday through Saturday, but the season would then be much shorter since we would still be limited to a maximum of 124 hunting days. Our goal in limiting crow hunting from Wednesday to Saturday is to maximize the number of weeks of the year where legal crow hunting may occur.

I hope this helps – good to hear from you!
    Pete

--------------------Original Message-----------------------------

Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 3:51 PM
    To: Jayne, Peter
    Subject: RE: Crow Hunting Regulations

Thanks for the reply Pete.

I'm still curious why Crows were listed in the 2010-2011 hunting reg book as Upland Game if they are Federally Protected Migratory game birds and if they are protected with a 124 day limit, I just can not figure out why some states can have an open season on them year around.

Some of Maryland's hunting regulations are just so "clear as mud" it's makes some folks plain scared to even go hunting in this state, I guess this is due to the factual hunting laws being hidden so deep in the bowels of the rule books.

I also have to assume this is why the waterfowl hunting community is falling off, most guys I know are scared to continue hunting waterfowl for fear of breaking some law they don't know about, I understand their reasoning now.

I can only shake my head and pray for the best. Thanks again for your help.

Thank You,
    Dwight A. Owens Jr.
    Administrator / Webmaster
    Southern Maryland Shooting Times

-------------------Reply From Peter Jayne------------------

I would be surprised if a state allows hunting crows year round as they should be under the same federal constraints as we are. We manage them more like an Upland Game Bird than a migratory bird since we don’t have to go back to the feds to approve our season – so it seems to make sense to put them in that box. Crows are managed in a unique way due to their unique status.

Our regs and laws are complex, no argument there. You can access them online at the sites below:

Regs: http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/subtit ... Subtitle03

Laws: http://michie.lexisnexis.com/maryland/l ... n-h.htm&cp Go down the left side, select Natural Resources, and then Wildlife.

Pete

------------------------SOMDSHOOT COMMENT-----------------

I find the replies from Mr. Jayne to be contradictory, but, honestly folks, I'd opt for a shorter season to gain the two extra days of the week (Monday & Tuesday) to hunt Crows. I don't know how many Crow hunters we have in Maryland, but, I'd be curious to know what people think about the Wednesday through Saturday only regulation.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Yeah, I find it all quite amusing. That's why I was not afraid to be blunt about feelings towards the Maryland hunting laws.

I have yet to understand why Crows are listed as Upland Game in the Maryland rule book, then I'm told they are Federally Protected Migratory, then turn right back around and tell me they are listed as Upland Game in Maryland so MD DNR doesn't have to "go back to the feds to approve our season" What the hell does that mean ? LOL

What this tells me is Maryland lists them as Upland Game regardless of what the Feds say, so, if you go shoot them, as listed under Maryland law, you'll be breaking a federal law, I guess Maryland is an island unto itself with no federal regulation ? LMAO

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Yeah, I find it all quite amusing. That's why I was not afraid to be blunt about feelings towards the Maryland hunting laws.

I have yet to understand why Crows are listed as Upland Game in the Maryland rule book, then I'm told they are Federally Protected Migratory, then turn right back around and tell me they are listed as Upland Game in Maryland so MD DNR doesn't have to "go back to the feds to approve our season" What the hell does that mean ? LOL

What this tells me is Maryland lists them as Upland Game regardless of what the Feds say, so, if you go shoot them, as listed under Maryland law, you'll be breaking a federal law, I guess Maryland is an island unto itself with no federal regulation ? LMAO

It's like smoking pot in California.... :banghead:

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    The Federal law only allows 124 days during the calendar year to hunt crows. Maryland has decided to divide those days on Wednesday through Saturday from August 15 to March 15. As the email states:
    Crows are technically considered as migratory game birds (per the most recent Migratory Bird Treaty) and thus are under Federal control. They are not managed in quite the same way as other migratory birds, but that really isn’t important to know to answer your questions.

If you follow the game guide I do belive you are safe from Federal prosecution, after all they are crows. For the most part the reason we can hunt them is because they are a nuisance animal.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    yeah WTF I want to hunt crows from the space shuttle. This state is messed up. Always spoiling my fun. Geeze...

Can't use the space shuttle, but this may be a loophole.. Millenium Falconry

detailed-star-wars-millenium-falcon-model-2.jpg

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Crows shall not be hunted from aircraft

:wtf:

Why not? I think it gives the crows a sporting chance.

And, it might spawn useful technology spinoffs from the amateur UAV community. Who wouldn't pay good money for an "Avatar"-like full immersion FPV experience, where you get to play raptor?

jdramsey

Troll hunter.
    Aug 5, 2009
    St. Mary's Co. MD
    I only get to hunt on Fridays and Saturdays, so I'm in favor of giving up the Monday and Tuesday. That spreads out the season like he said, and gives me more Fridays and Saturdays. If it were up to me I'd give up Wednesday too, and strech the season even more.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    The Federal law only allows 124 days during the calendar year to hunt crows. Maryland has decided to divide those days on Wednesday through Saturday from August 15 to March 15. As the email states:

If you follow the game guide I do belive you are safe from Federal prosecution, after all they are crows. For the most part the reason we can hunt them is because they are a nuisance animal.

I understand all that, but, what you are not seeing is the primary reason for the email... Baiting.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I only get to hunt on Fridays and Saturdays, so I'm in favor of giving up the Monday and Tuesday. That spreads out the season like he said, and gives me more Fridays and Saturdays. If it were up to me I'd give up Wednesday too, and strech the season even more.

What fascinates me is, Alabama has a year round season on Crows to my understanding, and also, to my understanding, Texas doesn't even have a Crow season on the books to be regulated, so, Crow hunting is like shooting rats down there, I believe, I could be wrong on both, but, it's what I understand to be correct, I'll accept anything that proves otherwise. Can I assume both of these states are not regulated by the Federal law either.

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    Second paragraph:
    One may not shoot crows over baited areas, but may shoot them over harvested grain fields, planted ag fields and so on. You may use decoys and recorded (electronic) calls when hunting crows.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    What fascinates me is, Alabama has a year round season on Crows to my understanding, and also, to my understanding, Texas doesn't even have a Crow season on the books to be regulated, so, Crow hunting is like shooting rats down there, I believe, I could be wrong on both, but, it's what I understand to be correct, I'll accept anything that proves otherwise. Can I assume both of these states are not regulated by the Federal law either.

Well it stands to reason that if we decide crows aren't protected in MD although they are protected federally it stands to reason that AL could decide the limit on the season is BS also.

But here we are in a situation where it's legal as long as the wrong person doesn't catch you..... :sad20:

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Why not? I think it gives the crows a sporting chance.

And, it might spawn useful technology spinoffs from the amateur UAV community. Who wouldn't pay good money for an "Avatar"-like full immersion FPV experience, where you get to play raptor?

Ok we need a decent RC plane With a camera&transmitter installed a Drozd bb gun and a role of duct tape:party29: I wonder what's the cumlative penality for dog fighting crows with an rc plane ? Might be worth the risk :D

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    Dude,

Crows in MD got decimated by the West Nile Virus a couple of years ago. Give them a break for a few more years and then put the .22 to good practice.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

The way I understand him, as long as they stick to the federal season limits, they dont have to talk to the feds about their specific season. So, lets say you petition them to move to a 6 month all-week season and after hearings etc. they decide to go that way, they could do so a lot easier than if they had to involve fish and wildlife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom