• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I use a red dot on my tactical turkey gun. Rem 870 Super Mag with Knoxx Spec Ops stock. No more bruised shoulder with 3.5" 12 gauge turkey shells. The red dot prevents shooting over the target like you would if you just pointed the shotgun. Great for slugs, too.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Do you use optics such as aimpoints on your combat shotgun?

I set one up for 3 gun. I suppose it would also work for turkey and deer. I don't think it would work for HD in the dark where a focused light would be used. For daytime use maybe. For shotgunning it seems to slow me down though On clays and even the steel targets I shoot instinctively so trying to focus on the sight slows me down.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Wal Mart has nesting clays that seperate when thrown. They look like a lot of fun. I might have to go get a few boxes.
    We have been laying 2 clays on top of each other on the thrower for years and they separate well. No need for special clays.
    I know the edge of the clay doesn't slide into the lip on the thrower but it doesn't matter. :D

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Looking for a good set of optics for a combat shotgun.
    Need something small, low profile, decent battery life and reliable

How about

Lucid M7
    TR25
    Konus Atomic 2.0
    Burris FF3

aimpoint patrol
    armatac red dot
    C more railway
    eotech 512
    Delta point

Red Ring sight
    Mepro M21
    RMR

I m sending my Santa letter out early this year

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Met up with Buddies at MG and spent a couple of hours shooting shotguns.
    We compared different combat shotguns. In th lineup were
    Benelli m4
    Benelli m2
    Benelli m1
    saiga12 conversion
    Keltec KSG

All functioned well and it is hard to pick one over the other. Shot buckshots and slugs. Suprisingly, my shoulder is still attached.

As usual... CrazyAl went full retard on buckshots and slugs.

( btw,no target stands were harmed in this event)

Ill tell you the Saiga really feels good, wish mine had a slightly shorter barrel (got it cheap and converted by the awesome master Chad from its previous owner). May have to have it knocked down to 18.5 and have a little different muzzle break put on it. But it rocks off the shoulder and the gas system soaks up the recoil nicely even with the ACE stock on mine. A little heavy with a 20rd drum but managable.

I love the balance and shoulder meld of the KSG, but I really hate the bolt release forward of the trigger.

Sometimes I wonder if the classics are the best and a good trench gun fixes all issues!

Why didnt you try the Benelli M3? I have always wanted one of those.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I carried a mossberg 500 with tacstar front and rear grips during raids [M240 is too big for indoor use] and operated as a breachman. The hardest part was resupply. I remember some very special beanie babies full of 00 buck coming in care packages.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Ill tell you the Saiga really feels good, wish mine had a slightly shorter barrel (got it cheap and converted by the awesome master Chad from its previous owner). May have to have it knocked down to 18.5 and have a little different muzzle break put on it. But it rocks off the shoulder and the gas system soaks up the recoil nicely even with the ACE stock on mine. A little heavy with a 20rd drum but managable.

I love the balance and shoulder meld of the KSG, but I really hate the bolt release forward of the trigger.

Sometimes I wonder if the classics are the best and a good trench gun fixes all issues!

Why didnt you try the Benelli M3? I have always wanted one of those.

The Saigas that we have tested worked well, some had issues with birdshots and feed issues with3" magnums. I also had issues with the magazine sticking out. Its almost impossible to fire this gun from a prone position.

The KSG is okay, but it seems slow and not as fluid as a standard pump. No way to port load to change to slugs. No irons which means, putting rifle sights on a shotgun. Short sight radius.

The M4 is heavy, stock LOP is just stupid at almost 15" with a recoil pad. It digested everything from light birdshots to 3" magnums. Recoil is light an the gun is very fast. The Iron sights are accurate enough for slug use at longer distances. I did weight the gun down by duct taping dead weights on the stock. It still cycled light loads. The same crap would have choked the m2. The ARGO system adds a bit of weight, but the pistons are reliable and soaks up recoil. I can see why the USMC likes this gun.

The M2 seems to be the lightest, easiest to handle, but had issues with light loads as well.it also suffers from the long LOP that Benellis seem to have. It also has a better trigger than the m4 , Awesome ghost ring sights. But recoil is harder than the M4. Inertia guns are also weight sensitive, it much accessories and the gun will jam.

And the M3............:tdown: the guy that owns one didnt show up

maybe next time.

.. Ill also bring a SPAS12. But the spas will spas out on light loads or low recoil rounds as well. Its ammo sensitive. But you can always cycle it by manual pump. It is also the meanest looking shotgun ever.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    The Saigas that we have tested worked well, some had issues with birdshots and feed issues with3" magnums. I also had issues with the magazine sticking out. Its almost impossible to fire this gun from a prone position.

The KSG is okay, but it seems slow and not as fluid as a standard pump. No way to port load to change to slugs. No irons which means, putting rifle sights on a shotgun. Short sight radius.

The M4 is heavy, stock LOP is just stupid at almost 15" with a recoil pad. It digested everything from light birdshots to 3" magnums. Recoil is light an the gun is very fast. The Iron sights are accurate enough for slug use at longer distances. I did weight the gun down by duct taping dead weights on the stock. It still cycled light loads. The same crap would have choked the m2. The ARGO system adds a bit of weight, but the pistons are reliable and soaks up recoil. I can see why the USMC likes this gun.

The M2 seems to be the lightest, easiest to handle, but had issues with light loads as well.it also suffers from the long LOP that Benellis seem to have. It also has a better trigger than the m4 , Awesome ghost ring sights. But recoil is harder than the M4. Inertia guns are also weight sensitive, it much accessories and the gun will jam.

And the M3............:tdown: the guy that owns one didnt show up

maybe next time.

.. Ill also bring a SPAS12. But the spas will spas out on light loads or low recoil rounds as well. Its ammo sensitive. But you can always cycle it by manual pump. It is also the meanest looking shotgun ever.

I have to get in on this. count the slp and mka in.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Older WW1 combat pump shotguns do not have disconnectors. US troops would practically keep the trigger depressed and slamfired the gun with each cycle of the slide.

That can be done very fast and resulted in many turks and germans with heads blown off( literally). The US protested this protest....

even up to now.. Military shotguns are mainly anti material weapons. Our troops use it to destroy the enemy's clothing... The devastating wounds it produces is simply... Collateral damage.:innocent0

Here's an interesting read from WWI regarding combat shotguns
    shotgunart0001.jpg

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Finally... The Promag C stock ( pm253) is in stock at a coupleof dealers. it is a US made version of the Benelli collapsible stock. The original C stock retails for about 400 bucks while the Promag clone is 119.99 from overstock.com( free sh)

The stock also comes with a pic rail foregrip. Since it is US made. It counts as three parts for 922 compliance. It should be here sometime next week. Ill post a review after I beat the snot out of it by shooting buck shots and slugs. If it holds up... It may be a viable alternative to the C stock, Urbino stock or ATI Raven . All of which are kinda pricey.

Now... I need to shop for an optic.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've been planning doing an 870 build using a Black Aces Tactical receiver. I hunted down one of the last Enidine recoil reducer tubes, too, so I should be able to build something that doesn't hurt my shoulder as badly as my last outing with the 870. One of my primary goals is to keep the weight down - my Saiga 12 is an amazing shotgun, but it's a heavy SOB, even unloaded. I'd like to keep the mags, but maybe have a lighter option.

I'll use my spare PFI Action-4 optic on it. The reticles are specially calibrated for use with shotgun loads, including non-lethal. If I didn't have that, I'd get an RMR off Dvor, probably the triangle one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom