• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    This above. I don't want to hope and pray that a filibuster will work so we can maintain the status quo. I want to get SB281 reversed. Might be near impossible, but who knows.
    Even if it doesn't get reversed on the first try, the other side has to stop what they're doing to fight so they don't get to do stuff they want to do AND we have the potential to win. So do that to them EVERY TIME, attack EVERY anti gun law and they don't get to make new laws, they've gotta defend the ones they have, and THEY lose incrementally, not us. It's called the PacMan defense in business speak.

I tried explaining this to NY and it was like talking to a turnip.

DAMUE

Aug 31, 2012
    Pasadena
    When I saw the final results with both being recalled I actually felt a bit giddy. It's nice to have our team win one.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Now, we see what the fate of Maryland is via the court system, UNLESS we can replace a lot of our current politicians with 2nd Amendment friendly ones.

Don't you see that it's not enough to stop them from doing what they want when they want? Didn't the fact that 281 even came up at all, let alone passed, not tell you enough that merely delaying the other side cannot extinguish the threat? It must be ERADICATED, as in NOT coming back another time, and its progress WIPED from the law books. If you're not doing that, you're losing. If you're not setting your sights on that, you're preparing to fail. Don't set the bar so low as no additional 281's, but repeal that one, then work towards wiping out the previous ones. Make the other side have to defend everything, not ours.

While I would love nothing more than to see MD become gun friendly tomorrow, and SB 281 and G&S wiped off the books, the demographics are clear that this won't be happening in the short term. We didn't get in this mess overnight and we won't get out of it overnight either. But while we can work together for a better solution long-range, we also have to ask ourselves: What can we practically accomplish in the next election (2014)? I'm not suggesting we stop at that, but let's set some realistic short-term goals.

And I suggest what is realistic is picking up two seats in the Senate. 19 votes are necessary to defeat a cloture vote (i.e. to sustain a filibuster). Had we had 19 votes on our side, just two more, SB 281 would never have become law.

17 senators were with us all the way: Astle, District 30; Brinkley, District 4; Colburn, District 37; Dyson, District 29; Edwards, District 1; Getty, District 5; Glassman, District 35; Jacobs, District 34; Jennings, District 7; Kittleman, District 9; Klausmeier, District 8; Mathias, District 38; Pipkin, District 36; Reilly, District 33; Shank, District 2; Simonaire, District 31; and Stone, District 6.

Two senators thought we were stupid and/or thought we won't remember by the time 2014 rolls around and hence tried to have it both ways. They voted against 281, but voted for cloture - thus dooming our best chance to completely defeat the bill. Those Benedict Arnolds were: DeGrange, District 32; and Middleton, District 28.

If we can replace just those two senators, we can defeat the next round of gun-grabbing bills. And who here doesn't think they're coming? Despite the great results tonight from CO - the MD GA I believe is still emboldened from their passage of 281.

But I think we have two more chances for wins. Both Senator Mike Miller (yes the President of the Senate) in District 27 represents a partially rural and partially conservative district - AND Beretta is in his district! I believe he's vulnerable. In addition Senator Brochin in District 42 also tried to have it both ways, i.e. he lied to us at the Town Meeting, and then supported 281 all the way. And the reason he lied to us was that he knows in the last redistricting that his district became much more conservative. So he's vulnerable too.

There you go. Four chances to pick up two seats, then we can stop Maryland from getting any worse.

Please don't impute additional meaning into my words. I'm not suggesting that we be satisfied with that effort or that we stop there. This is a start, not an end. But let's focus our limited resources on what we believe we can accomplish right now, and then once successful build upon that to reach the vision we all share.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Operation DINO!!! Don't think for a minute that in Maryland and all over the country these votes wern't watched closely by every anti and every Democrat and the outcome sent chills through their ranks. The pro gunners were way out spent by the liberal billionaires but won in spite of the money and in spite of the fact there were more registered Democrats.

All over the country you will see Democrats start sounding more conservative in their speeches but no matter what they say look at the voting record and if in doubt throw the B***** OUT!

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    What pisses me off is that they did not think Morse would really lose because he was in an area that had a ton of registered Democrats, but he did.

That is why I am still bitter about the referendum issue here in Maryland. I think there are a lot of pro-gun liberals here that would NOT vote for a candidate solely on the 2nd Amendment. However, they would have voted HELL NO to SB281. We don't have the ability to recall politicians, but we do have the ability to send legislation to a referendum vote.

Good for Colorado. Now, we see what the fate of Maryland is via the court system, UNLESS we can replace a lot of our current politicians with 2nd Amendment friendly ones.

But But But

All the money the antis would spend to defeat the referendum would guarantee it would fail. SMH

Just ask these two what the money did for them

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Yes, Operation DINO is key in this state.

I DINOd 5 weeks ago and my family about fell out of their chairs. When I explained the reasoning, they understood and my daughter said ... Hmmm. dad is playing chess now (family speak for thinking ahead).

---
    Shamr0ck

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Huge win for "gun rights activists" (we are referred to this way in the news now) and huge deuce in anti's Cheerios!

Bloomberg and company spent about $3 million and still couldn't overcome the will of the people. I can't wait until 2014!

DINO up people!!!!

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    This is fricking fantastic - whether or not they admit it, dems nationwide are seeing this and rightfully scared.

I hope we can sink some of our own here in md too during the elections.

Way to go, Colorado!!!!!

730dc

Mar 11, 2013
    still haven't seen a single thing on the local morning news channels. while i would have loved to see a larger spread in the vote this is good. now we just need to get out to the people that always say they dont vote because it doesn't matter and lets face it a we all know a large amount of people that always say that.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    I heard it this monring on wbal, it was a quick national news clip and that was it

Way to go Colorado!!!! nice to hear about a win for our side!!!

Now we just need to get rid of a few here...DINO!!!!

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    ++++1
    I'm in Mac's district. Talked to him several times during the debacle. He's a good guy but his time is over - we need to DINO him in favor of someone who will do the right thing!
    Out of everything, the absolutely most satisfying would be to see Miller lose. That guy is a douche of the highest degree.

DINO!!!

While I would love nothing more than to see MD become gun friendly tomorrow, and SB 281 and G&S wiped off the books, the demographics are clear that this won't be happening in the short term. We didn't get in this mess overnight and we won't get out of it overnight either. But while we can work together for a better solution long-range, we also have to ask ourselves: What can we practically accomplish in the next election (2014)? I'm not suggesting we stop at that, but let's set some realistic short-term goals.

And I suggest what is realistic is picking up two seats in the Senate. 19 votes are necessary to defeat a cloture vote (i.e. to sustain a filibuster). Had we had 19 votes on our side, just two more, SB 281 would never have become law.

17 senators were with us all the way: Astle, District 30; Brinkley, District 4; Colburn, District 37; Dyson, District 29; Edwards, District 1; Getty, District 5; Glassman, District 35; Jacobs, District 34; Jennings, District 7; Kittleman, District 9; Klausmeier, District 8; Mathias, District 38; Pipkin, District 36; Reilly, District 33; Shank, District 2; Simonaire, District 31; and Stone, District 6.

Two senators thought we were stupid and/or thought we won't remember by the time 2014 rolls around and hence tried to have it both ways. They voted against 281, but voted for cloture - thus dooming our best chance to completely defeat the bill. Those Benedict Arnolds were: DeGrange, District 32; and Middleton, District 28.

If we can replace just those two senators, we can defeat the next round of gun-grabbing bills. And who here doesn't think they're coming? Despite the great results tonight from CO - the MD GA I believe is still emboldened from their passage of 281.

But I think we have two more chances for wins. Both Senator Mike Miller (yes the President of the Senate) in District 27 represents a partially rural and partially conservative district - AND Beretta is in his district! I believe he's vulnerable. In addition Senator Brochin in District 42 also tried to have it both ways, i.e. he lied to us at the Town Meeting, and then supported 281 all the way. And the reason he lied to us was that he knows in the last redistricting that his district became much more conservative. So he's vulnerable too.

There you go. Four chances to pick up two seats, then we can stop Maryland from getting any worse.

Please don't impute additional meaning into my words. I'm not suggesting that we be satisfied with that effort or that we stop there. This is a start, not an end. But let's focus our limited resources on what we believe we can accomplish right now, and then once successful build upon that to reach the vision we all share.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom